Notices

Penalty for radar detector use

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

BTW it is 3 points I believe

Motor vehicle equipped with and/or carrying a speed measurement warning device (radar detector) - Subsection 79 (2) of the H.T.A.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GasPasser
IIRC the Beltronics STI came out in 2005-2006. I'm not sure if it's a typo (11 years vs 1 year) on your part but there definitely weren't any undetectable radar-detectors to Spectre pre-2000.
Anyhow, chalk one up to the lucky law enforcement officer that day but they still have to drive their crappy cars and you still get to drive a P-car.
It was in 1998 and it was the first generation Bel undetectable radar detector. I bought it when I was in San Fransisco.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
BTW it is 3 points I believe

Motor vehicle equipped with and/or carrying a speed measurement warning device (radar detector) - Subsection 79 (2) of the H.T.A.
I didn't lose 3 points when I lost mine.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it on your person if they pull you over. They cannot search you.
Or
Put it in a self addressed envelope, seal it. The POPO cant open it, not within their power.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
IHATECLAIMS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benny771
Put it in a self addressed envelope, seal it. The POPO cant open it, not within their power.
If this is true, it would be pretty cool!!

I can see a whole buch of contraband stuff in peoples cars sealed in self addressed envelopes
Old 04-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Benny771
Put it on your person if they pull you over. They cannot search you.
Or
Putting it in your pocket and the copper knows you have one is a one way ticket to the station.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I like the strategy of having an older one in your car to hand to the cop, while you keep your new detector hidden.
Seems to me that getting 3 points and a fine is way less of a penalty than the new outrageous "stunt driving" charges/ car impoundment. Sounds to me like the detector is the way to go.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:27 AM
DrXenon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fastboy
I like the strategy of having an older one in your car to hand to the cop, while you keep your new detector hidden.
I like this idea, but for extra Rennlist points why not:
1. get an old one off ebay for $10,
2. take the cover off,
3. cut the power supply wires or otherwise disable it internally,
4. give it to the officer, and
5. claim at trial that the thing doesn't work so isn't a radar detector in the legal sense.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

with instant on laser technology if you are speeding and they zap you ...your detector may go off but they got you ...so you still get "stunt driving"...false sense of security...GOOD LUCK!
take it to the track.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:50 AM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

It is 3 points got it last year. Also can only be detected if on.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 96C4S
It is 3 points got it last year. Also can only be detected if on.
which model did u have?
Old 04-25-2010, 10:14 AM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've lost 2 detectors in the last 15 years. No points, just confiscated detectors and a fine.(FWIW they don't get destroyed roadside). I currently have a a Bel STi and Blinder Laser Jammer. I had them installed in my last vehicle and they work flawlessly. I've contemplated installing them on my current car for the past 2 years and have opted against it. While the laser jammers are fairly hidden when installed anyone with half a brain could still spot them upon a mild inspection. Same goes for the STi - sure it works and is undetectable (even at point blank range) but it still needs to be placed in plain sight.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Quinlan
Racer

You are right, they don't have grounds to search you under the Highway Traffic Act. They do under the Criminal Code. Concealing the radar on your person is a good way to kick yourself in the nuts. You can be charged with obstrucing justice. Criminal Code offence. BAD strategy. The dummy detector (so you don't lose the expensive one) MIGHT work, but for the most part, this is one area where you simply admit defeat, give up the radar, pay the fine and move on.

Last edited by Quinlan; 04-25-2010 at 06:01 PM. Reason: quotes didn't work
Old 04-25-2010, 11:49 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

You know, there are places in the world where it is still okay to have fun and you are not taxed and controlled to death. Canada is getting so ridiculous it's not even funny. My cousin just sent me a picture from a park in San Fran next to the Golden Gate bridge and they are all drining beer in public. Wow, can you believe that. People having fun in public. In Manila, drinking and driving is okay, but all drivers expect each other to be drunk so no accidents. We could never have roads like the autobahn because we have speed limits. Those who want to pass in the fast lane can't overtake fast enough without breaking the law so they clog up that lane anyway. Now we have the HST. Will it ever end? I don't smoke but cigarettes in Asia are between $.50 and $1.95 a pack. Here $10.00. I don't care if people smoke as long as they are respectful of those that don't, but the levies are just an excuse to collect more money. Leave us alone already, it's enough!

Back to the topic at hand, why wouldn't you allow radar detectors? If you are trying to make roads safer, let people use them so when they go off, the divers slow down. But you can't allow that because it cuts into revenue.

Sorry about the soapbox but I feel better now. Actually, no, no I don't. I wish Canadian are more confrontational and would fight the goverment on all of their BS. Okay, now I am done.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
with instant on laser technology if you are speeding and they zap you ...your detector may go off but they got you ....
Happened today...

Quick Reply: Penalty for radar detector use