Notices

damage to wheels in vehicle shipment

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default damage to wheels in vehicle shipment

I was wondering if anyone has experienced damage to the wheels on their vehicles when it was shipped with one of the common, experienced carriers. Since some carriers strap the vehicles down through the spokes of the wheels, I have been warned that paint damage may occur especially with wheels that may have been recently painted. The carrier assumes no responsibility for such damage. This is exactly the situation that I am faced with. Although my wheels have been properly painted and the finished baked on I am finding myself in a bit of a predicament. Thanks in advance for your feedback. - Glenn
Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,155 Likes on 827 Posts

i would say bite the bullet , get them repaired and move on . there are a few places around T.O that do such work .. I think it is bestline auto now that does them .. I think collision network used to but they merged with bestline .. maybe someone can confirm.

If that is the only detractor from the car the sooner you do it the beter as it will drive you nuts Glenn.

See you Saturday maybe ?
Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Hey Clive- Thanks for the comments. The car has not shipped yet. I am hoping that the paint will be sufficiently hard and cured so that perhaps I will not have an issue. The car should be on its way by the beginning of next week. I have heard that Vito at Bestline does great work and I will keep him in mind if I need the service. I'll let you know as soon as the baby arrives. - Glenn
Old 03-30-2010, 01:03 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 993TT was shipped with the wheels strapped down and it's preferable to damage the wheel than a suspension member. My car travelled from Vancouver to Toronto and did not sustain any damage whatsoever. Cars are tougher than we give them credit for.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Some carriers can strap the wheels down by using a sling-like strap over the tires; often used when transporting priceless concept cars. Ask them if they can do that as these will not damage your wheels.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
I was wondering if anyone has experienced damage to the wheels on their vehicles when it was shipped with one of the common, experienced carriers. Since some carriers strap the vehicles down through the spokes of the wheels, I have been warned that paint damage may occur especially with wheels that may have been recently painted. The carrier assumes no responsibility for such damage. This is exactly the situation that I am faced with. Although my wheels have been properly painted and the finished baked on I am finding myself in a bit of a predicament. Thanks in advance for your feedback. - Glenn
Who's shipping it?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

they can use cloths in between the straps and the wheels. Steve Rootenberg ran Rhote wheel technology and collision networks and now does wheels at bestline.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,155 Likes on 827 Posts

i was thinking about the cloth inbetween too .. seams simple enough to me .. anyway don't worry till it happens glenn
Old 03-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys - You're the best! - Looking forward to having my new set of wheels and joining you all at the summer location for the GTG.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:58 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Farz,

Good to know
Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by TTLATION
Farz,

Good to know
It's way better that the shipper use the wheels than the suspension parts. I've seen too many bent control arms from people doing that. We're going to TMP this Friday, is the beast ready for track duty? Are you going to bring her out?
Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

fc-racer: I agree that this method is better than using suspension parts but..... still.... On the other hand I inquired with Intercity about the method they use and I found that their wheel harnesses are those used by Porsche which go aroung the tire and can't damage the wheels so I have decided to go with them instead of TFX International. (Unlikely that you'll see this car on the track...... definitely not in the plans.)
Old 03-31-2010, 03:27 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

On the other hand I inquired with Intercity about the method they use and I found that their wheel harnesses are those used by Porsche which go aroung the tire and can't damage the wheels ......
That's what I was talking about. No danger with this method.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Wink

fc-racer: I agree that this method is better than using suspension parts but..... still.... On the other hand I inquired with Intercity about the method they use and I found that their wheel harnesses are those used by Porsche which go aroung the tire and can't damage the wheels so I have decided to go with them instead of TFX International. (Unlikely that you'll see this car on the track...... definitely not in the plans.)
Good call -
Old 03-31-2010, 08:43 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Do not bite the bullet Glenn. If there is any damage, claim it on insurance and/or sue 'em in small claims court. Costs $75 to file and I think this would be an easy win. Just because they say they are not responsible does not mean they are not legally responsible.

Quick Reply: damage to wheels in vehicle shipment