Fiorano and Autowerks

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:17 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts
Question Fiorano and Autowerks

Maybe a silly question but.....

Is Fiorano and Autowerks the same shop or different?

How would you rate them if they are different?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Diffrent shops, +1 for Autowerks

but i think Courtney worked for Fiarano before he opend his own shop Autowerks... correct?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

both are well respected shops with race /track experience.
what are you looking for?
they are different.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Courtney worked as service manager at DFC at one point - don't know if he ever went to Fiorano but I could be wrong. I agree with Zook - go with Autowerks. Fiorano did a lot of race car support stuff both in Grand Am, Regional series and the old Motorola Cup and have a more Ferrari service going on then P Car I believe.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Giovanni (Johnny) at Fiorano is a guru for track car setup. He did Jim's cars and Perry's winning cup car. He knows a lot about GT3 set up. Bruce used him too as far as I know.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:59 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different shops. Courtney sets up my 997 Cup, Randy Oswald's 997 Cup and Bob Seitz's (Perry's excar) 996 Cup. And also sets up a lot of street GT3s and 2's, and other high end Porsche track cars. We are at Road Atlanta now. Will post some pics tomorrow or Friday!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Courtney worked for Pfaff back when they were in Newmarket if I'm not mistaken.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:30 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Read all about Autowerks on their new web site:
http://www.euautowerks.com/index.html
They also set up and maintain lower end 996 C2 cars like mine and do a wonderful job. I have been an Autowerks client since 2007 and feel like a member of an enthusiast club rather than a warm body with a wallet to be emptied. No knock against other fine organizations I have used suuch as Pfaff Tuning and Markus Blaszak.
PSS9s plus other mods to be installed shortly. Oddly enough, when Coutney reviewed my maintenance file, he discovered that he was the first person to work on my car after it was delivered to Pfaff in 2001.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah I knew he worked for a dealer *somewhere* - Pfaff makes sense as they are 5mins away. FYI for others: you can see all his P Car 'factory training' framed and wall papered all along the top of the walls! (And MB training as well)
Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am also having Autowerkes do a bunch of stuff to my Turbo in a couple of weeks. My experience has been very good so far.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Thanks guys, just considering my options.

I know some of the local guys, Jim H, Keith C and Bruce G have had setup work done a Fiorano's and are quite happy with the work received, but lately I have been reading lots of positives on Autowerks as well....

Toronto is quite a long haul..... from the boonies

Old 03-25-2010, 03:20 PM
mdex
Racer

Courtney worked at both Pfaff and Downtown at different times in the past as a mechanic (and i believe head mechanic at times), and Dominic worked at Downtown as well in the front of the service department. On weekends etc Courtney worked with Fiorano's setting up and supporting their racing efforts, as well as working on the old tubo cup cars for Pfaff back in the 944 Turbo Cup days.

Both shops are fantastic, and as I understand things Courtney "bought" Fiorano's street car service business (which is now EU Autowerks), leaving Fiorano to specialize in race car prep and setup which they are probably one of the best at, having set up multiple Daytona winning GT3's.

I have worked with both shops and would sum things up like this... if I was wanting to run a race team I would go with Fiorano... but for my street car that goes to the track I use Autowerks.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you all know, I'm a HUGE fan of Autowerks. They just did my AIM DAS install and blew away any expectations I had. Here is the post from the 997GT3 forum (ps, don't staulk me with that google map!):

Hi guys,

Got the car back from the shop, feels great to be behind the wheel of this awesome machine again. Haven't had the chance to test out the new Guard LSD stack or the Endless brake fluid, but the car feels so so so good to drive.

I'm really apprehensive of mods and usually keep things pretty close to stock, making concessions only when the stock part is not meeting the functional needs for my specific requirement. I took the car into www.euautowerks.com for the AIM install and am incredibly impressed with what they came up with.

The design brief was:
1. Install the EVO4 near the vehicle's centre of gravity
2. Dash should be removable in less than 30 seconds with no tell-tale signs it was there; dash should not block real dash
3. GPS antena should be part of the interior and should not require placement during track days
4. DAS needs to be switchable so that if I don't bring a laptop to the event, the data does not get overwritten with my drive home
5. USB cable needs to somehow be accessible but also hidden

When I originally met with Courtney, I said I wanted to install the EVO4 head unit under the rear panel near the ECU so I could remove/re-install the carpet to get to it at track events. I'd then run the wires up to the dash and to the USB connector. Courtney didn't feel this would be the best approach and to let him come up with some alternatives.

Him and Lawrence installed the EVO4 on the panel near the ECU and ran the wiring up through the centre console for the USB connector and installed a switch so I can turn the unit off and on, without removing any rear panels. For the dash, they came up with an ingenious use of the cup holder and ran the cable along the centre console and transmission tunnel.

It turned out amazing! I love the way it looks and how easy it is to put away when using the car on the street. The dash isn't very heavy so the cup holder should be fine.

I datalogged my drive home (you can see the google earth view of my drive home below!) and these are the channels available:

Vertical g's
Lateral g's
Longitudinal g's
RPM
Throttle Position Sensor
Individual wheels speeds (imagine the fun I can have here with Math channels!)
Engine coolant temp
Engine oil temp
Engine oil pressure
Steering angle
Steering speed
Brake switch
Gear selected
Fuel level in litres
Battery Voltage
GPS lateral g's
GPS heading
GPS gyro

Thank you to Courtney at EU Autowerks (www.euautowerks.com) and to Joe Cooley (www.circuitmotorsports.com) for their help. Here are the install pics. Look at what an awesome job they did!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:52 PM
akw
Racer

Originally Posted by fc-racer
As you all know, I'm a HUGE fan of Autowerks. They just did my AIM DAS install and blew away any expectations I had. Here is the post from the 997GT3 forum (ps, don't staulk me with that google map!):

Hi guys,

Got the car back from the shop, feels great to be behind the wheel of this awesome machine again. Haven't had the chance to test out the new Guard LSD stack or the Endless brake fluid, but the car feels so so so good to drive.

I'm really apprehensive of mods and usually keep things pretty close to stock, making concessions only when the stock part is not meeting the functional needs for my specific requirement. I took the car into www.euautowerks.com for the AIM install and am incredibly impressed with what they came up with.

The design brief was:
1. Install the EVO4 near the vehicle's centre of gravity
2. Dash should be removable in less than 30 seconds with no tell-tale signs it was there; dash should not block real dash
3. GPS antena should be part of the interior and should not require placement during track days
4. DAS needs to be switchable so that if I don't bring a laptop to the event, the data does not get overwritten with my drive home
5. USB cable needs to somehow be accessible but also hidden

When I originally met with Courtney, I said I wanted to install the EVO4 head unit under the rear panel near the ECU so I could remove/re-install the carpet to get to it at track events. I'd then run the wires up to the dash and to the USB connector. Courtney didn't feel this would be the best approach and to let him come up with some alternatives.

Him and Lawrence installed the EVO4 on the panel near the ECU and ran the wiring up through the centre console for the USB connector and installed a switch so I can turn the unit off and on, without removing any rear panels. For the dash, they came up with an ingenious use of the cup holder and ran the cable along the centre console and transmission tunnel.

It turned out amazing! I love the way it looks and how easy it is to put away when using the car on the street. The dash isn't very heavy so the cup holder should be fine.

I datalogged my drive home (you can see the google earth view of my drive home below!) and these are the channels available:

Vertical g's
Lateral g's
Longitudinal g's
RPM
Throttle Position Sensor
Individual wheels speeds (imagine the fun I can have here with Math channels!)
Engine coolant temp
Engine oil temp
Engine oil pressure
Steering angle
Steering speed
Brake switch
Gear selected
Fuel level in litres
Battery Voltage
GPS lateral g's
GPS heading
GPS gyro

Thank you to Courtney at EU Autowerks (www.euautowerks.com) and to Joe Cooley (www.circuitmotorsports.com) for their help. Here are the install pics. Look at what an awesome job they did!

Damn - that is hot!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think anyone has *ever* had a bad experience with Autowerks, have they?

Quick Reply: Fiorano and Autowerks