Notices

Classic dead battery situation, with a twist!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010 | 02:48 PM
Granger968
Pro

Default Classic dead battery situation, with a twist!

Hey guys,

I knew the battery on my car was dead, so I brought another 12V battery today to connect to the positive terminal to the fuse box (next to the driver's left leg) and the negative terminal to the door lock "U". From there, I was going to pump the engine compartment to access the terminals for jump-starting. I figured I'm well prepared, this will be easy... SUUUURE!!

Minor problem: I can pump the trunk lid (front of the car) but the engine lid (back) won't pop! Oups! I don't know that one should work differently than the other if I have +12VDC on it, but smtg is not working as it should.

My plan is to connect straight to the battery terminal in the front of the car, but I'll have to wait until later today to do so, when other folks go home and move their cars out of the way. Right now, with the P-car parked where it is, I can't get my SUV close enough to connect both batteries!

If I'm not supposed to jump the car from the front for one reason, speak now of forever hold your peace!

I love how this car throws curveballs at me all the time....
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:19 PM
Granger968
Pro

Problem fixed. Thanks for all your input!
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:26 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Glad we could help!

I'm confused... are there 2 batteries, and do you need a working battery to open the engine lid?

On another note, you bringing the P-Car tomorrow?!
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:41 PM
Granger968
Pro

I wish! I can't go for brunch for another 3 weeks. tmw is scuba diving lessons, and I'll be in Montreal for the next 2 weekends.

Although I could do La Paloma tonigth possibly...

There is only 1 battery, not sure why they have connections all over the place...
Old 03-19-2010 | 08:33 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

I've never gone to the La Paloma GTG... if you go tonight let me know... I'm looking for an excuse to drive somewhere!
Old 03-19-2010 | 08:38 PM
Granger968
Pro

Pm sent
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:17 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Granger968
There is only 1 battery, not sure why they have connections all over the place...
I *think* the connection in the back was put in there because if you boost the car from there you won't have a risk of a spark setting off any hydrogen gas that may have leaked out of the battery into the hood area. It's also easier to hook up from those garage units on two wheels without risking the paint from cables dragging over the paint on the fenders or front bumper. At least at the back they can drape one of those service covers that drop over the rear bumper, (gotta buy one of those).
Old 03-19-2010 | 10:20 PM
Granger968
Pro

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I *think* the connection in the back was put in there because if you boost the car from there you won't have a risk of a spark setting off any hydrogen gas that may have leaked out of the battery into the hood area. It's also easier to hook up from those garage units on two wheels without risking the paint from cables dragging over the paint on the fenders or front bumper. At least at the back they can drape one of those service covers that drop over the rear bumper, (gotta buy one of those).

That makes a lot of sense...
Old 03-19-2010 | 11:58 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Granger968
I wish! I can't go for brunch for another 3 weeks. tmw is scuba diving lessons, and I'll be in Montreal for the next 2 weekends.
Getting your open water cert? Maybe we should get all the divers together and do a rennlist dive weekend.
Old 03-20-2010 | 12:05 AM
Granger968
Pro

Yup. it's sink or swim tomorrow I guess!

All in prevision of the honeymoon. Apparently you can't go to Belize and not dive. The lady is already certified, so I have to catch up. I'd like to do Tobermory later this summer maybe.
Old 03-20-2010 | 03:21 AM
scubadawg
Advanced

Smile

I in Australia in July diving the great barrier

7 night liveaboard

http://www.mikeball.com/minke-whale-expeditions
Old 03-20-2010 | 09:58 AM
Granger968
Pro

Sounds like a blast!

In retrospect, I probably should've taken this course before going to New Zealand last year. I'm sure there were good diving opportunities there.

Quick Reply: Classic dead battery situation, with a twist!