Notices

Fantino's mad stunt racing law upheld

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Granger968
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by michel944
OMG !!! Greg I vote this for best "picture worth a thousand words" of the year !
or picture worth 1000 imperial soldiers!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Re: cops towing immediately when someone speeds 50+km/h over: "Due process under attack?"

Gimme a break.

It's attitudes like this and the failure for people to take responsibility for their own actions that have really helped to create the giant mess we often find ourselves in.

Take a clear cut case of someone speeding 50+km/h over. (no rogue cops....no 49.5km/h over) The law says the car will be impounded. Why does the guy whine about it when he knows the law? Why do you and others think "due process" must be followed when it's simple. The guy went too fast and now he gets to walk home.

That guy should Man up, grow some ***** and take responsibility for his actions! If he didn't want to risk walking home he should've slowed down.
I dont think Allen got the memo, been out the loop? http://www.thestar.com/article/643161 http://www.thestar.com/article/643184 http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/645345 this is what happens when you give Power to Douches, they become bigger douches and get caught by douches...
Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Well, here in Fantino [edit](The Province of Turdland)[/edit] land, we have superhighway 402 going through Sarnia.
Oh heck I know that section - yeah that’s the ultimate radar trap spot - espy just past the exit for the courthouse as you head toward customs.

As an aside: The co-author of this fantastic new safety law - his supporters liked to call him 'Mr. Safety' back in the day - others call him 'Mr. Dangerous Driver Causing Death' - the former AG of Ontario in action below.

- Drives 1/4 mile after accident and parks in driveway of hotel - THEN calls Police. No 'Fail To Remain' charges - where as two other recent cases, one where a driver drove 500 meters to a payphone to call 911 and then returned to scene to find an officer there already - was arrested for fail to remain. Interesting exception for the former AG.

- No breath sample taken. This despite the fact that he and his wife had just had dinner at a location licensed by the LLBO.

- Statement to Police refused by both driver and passenger. (as is their right)

- Pleads NOT Guilty (No ***** you say!!)

- Hires PR firm who's task some supporters of the dead biker say was to dig up information on the victim. Information released to the media that this person had a few issues was reported by CITY TV as coming directly from non Police persons. You guess where it came from. No investigation into how the CPIC computer program (Police access only) was accessed to get this information out to the media as Metro Police as policy never release information such as this until case is closed or after it has been resolved in court.

I simply do not understand why this...
...weasel is trying to get out of a legal jam because they feel the punishment doesn't fit the crime they did.

I don't know about you Mr. Bryant
you knew the laws.....broke them....and now you get to deal with the consequences.
The Police
could be doing much better things than deal with one POS low-life.
See, even the former AG believes in a good defence!

Oh, and after it was all said and done and the bike rider was taken away, the former AG's car was NOT impounded. Go figure huh? Over 50 speeding = Car impounded. Dead guy = No impound. Welcome to Turdland where some have better rights then others..
Old 03-19-2010, 05:39 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

We have our share of questionable cops/politicians too. Getting caught for DUI, etc. Always the leading story on the news when it happens. Our Premier got caught in Hawaii for DUI as well. Also there is a perceived double standard out here when cops get caught breaking the law.

Re: writing up DUI, OPP may do things differently than some cops out here and I really wished they'd all do the right thing all the time. It would be nice....

As far as standing up for yourself goes, yes....do it when there is a clear debate about your actions. Whether you like a certain law or not, they are usually fairly clearly written. If the law is clear and you obviously broke it, then man up. Accept your punishment. Stop wasting taxpayer money and resources.

If the law is muddy or there are extenuating circumstances and you really don't think you broke that law, then get a lawyer and go to court. That is your right and I'd do it too.

I'll repeat - if I clearly broke a law whether I agree with that law or not, I'll take my lumps. ...and I've done that more than once. I'm far from an angel.

...and I'd love it if the speed limits were scaled based on location, driving conditions, car condition and driver skill. Not sure how to police that though.....
Old 03-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allen why stop at speeding? I have a better idea.

If we take all cars off the road then we have eliminated Traffic Fatalities !!!!

Is this too extreme or is this just a better version of your SAFE ROADS idea??
Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Well, here in Fantino (is a turd) land, we have superhighway 402 going through Sarnia. On occasion, trucks are backed up along the 402 due to border delays at the Bluewater Bridge, up to 10 km away. So, the powers that be have seen fit to reduce the speed limit from what used to be 100km/hr for the entire stretch, to 70 and then rapidly to 50km/hr, on a divided controlled access highway that was designed for full highway speeds. I know a number of people who have had their cars impounded for going 105 through this section, even though there was NO backup of trucks and NO other traffic, except one of Fantino's lackies waiting for the next victim. To say this deserves equal punishment to some brainless half-wit doing 100, or even 60, in a school zone, is absurd.
The point all of us have tried to make is that there are already laws - careless driving under the Highway Traffic Act as well as Dangerous Driving under the Criminal Code - that can deal more appropriately with the problem drivers. Even the title of the law - "Stunt Driving" - is straight from the Ministry of Propaganda. I for one will never support this government at election time.
Best explaination of why this law is so wrong. Not to mention the other aspect of the law making the cop the judge and executioner.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Allen why stop at speeding? I have a better idea.

If we take all cars off the road then we have eliminated Traffic Fatalities !!!!

Is this too extreme or is this just a better version of your SAFE ROADS idea??
I'm sure there is some middle ground out there.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

the reality is that although every once in a while there is a fatality from high speed driving, it is extremely rare. speed doesn't kill. running traffic lights and stop signs and guys walking around with guns do kill. this law has not saved any lives. it has not slowed people down even, the number of charges are still huge...so it is not a deterent and not really helping society. all the while it is taking away citizens right to a trial before penalties. these resources could be spent much wiser looking at offences that do cause fatalities. Fantino spins the news to make people think this law is actually saving lives when all it is doing is paying for Fantino's bird in the air.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Stop wasting taxpayer money and resources......
lol its the Tax payers money that is going to be put to use in the Class Action Law Suit... thats going down soon
Old 03-20-2010, 11:40 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Hmmm, Allan I can't agree with that at all.
FYI: this morning I was in a cab that took me to the airport at 4:30 am. The driver drove her older Mercedes E-class TDI between 170 and 180 km/h. 14 hours later I got into another taxi and the driver drove his much newer Lincoln Town Car at 110 km/h. First one wasn't speeding as it was on the Autobahn in Leipzig, the second was speeding as he was on Hwy 427 in Toronto. Guess which one I felt more comfortable in? And yes you do blow past others on the autobahn who are doing 100 or so (buses, trucks, etc...). 150 is NOT excessive if drivers have the right discipline, but our idiotic government don't want to invest in proper driver's education as it is not as profitable as the penalties and fines that are in place right now. Everything in this country is set to the lowest common denominator; some kids in modified civics kill themselves and some innocent bystanders and suddenly we need "street racing laws" that affect everyone?
C'mon this isn't about "saving it for the track" it's about having reasonable speed limits on our highways that allow for efficient commuting.
+1

Legislation of adherence to the lowest common denominator as opposed to elevating the skill of our drivers.

I spent a week last year driving in Germany at a speed I was comfortable with in my Benz rental wagon, 150Km/hr. I felt safer than I do on the 401 because I was driving on a road where people know how to drive and pay attention to what they are doing. I was 100% alert all the time and it was the most enjoyable driving I have done in years. There were slow drivers in Germany as well. They stayed out of the way!! There are ghost cars on the autobahn that ticket you for hogging the fast lane, an offence that is considered more serious than speeding. In their system, hogging the fast lane is seen as creating a dangerous situation, not speed. Trucks are NEVER allowed in the 3rd lane.
The other thing about Germany is that where there is a speed limit you drive exactly that speed because it is obvious that it is the maximum safe speed for the conditions.
As far as Canada goes, doing 150Km on the 401 under present conditions is dangerous. This, unfortunately, is not Germany. Our sleepy 100Km highways do not require the diligence that driving in Germany does, nor are they populated with skilled or educated drivers.
On an open stretch of the 401, 150 or 160 Kph is no problem whatsoever in a capable and properly maintained vehicle.
60MPH was the speed limit on our highways when I was a kid and my dad was driving a Ford Galaxy 500 with no seat belts, drum brakes, & bias ply tires. Perhaps if the limit was more in line with the capability of today's automotive technology, say 130Km (only 10Km over the present speed maintained on the 401) then a greater degree of diligence would be instilled in our driving population. Wishful thinking I suppose.
The root of the problem on our highways is lack of driving skill & a selfish attitude. This presents itself as a lack of courtesy and awareness of other motorists.
I never pull out in front of someone who is gaining on me in the PASSING lane. If I am in the FAST lane and someone is catching up, I accelerate to complete my pass and pull in to let them go. I cannot count the number of times I have been cut off by other selfish motorists who feel that they are justified in slowing me down by drifting out into the passing lane going 2Km faster than the speed of whom they are overtaking. Don't even gat me started on trucks driving side by side for 20Km at 104Km/hr !!

Harrumph!!!!!
Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by irobertson
+1

Legislation of adherence to the lowest common denominator as opposed to elevating the skill of our drivers.

I spent a week last year driving in Germany at a speed I was comfortable with in my Benz rental wagon, 150Km/hr. I felt safer than I do on the 401 because I was driving on a road where people know how to drive and pay attention to what they are doing. I was 100% alert all the time and it was the most enjoyable driving I have done in years. There were slow drivers in Germany as well. They stayed out of the way!! There are ghost cars on the autobahn that ticket you for hogging the fast lane, an offence that is considered more serious than speeding. In their system, hogging the fast lane is seen as creating a dangerous situation, not speed. Trucks are NEVER allowed in the 3rd lane.
The other thing about Germany is that where there is a speed limit you drive exactly that speed because it is obvious that it is the maximum safe speed for the conditions.
As far as Canada goes, doing 150Km on the 401 under present conditions is dangerous. This, unfortunately, is not Germany. Our sleepy 100Km highways do not require the diligence that driving in Germany does, nor are they populated with skilled or educated drivers.
On an open stretch of the 401, 150 or 160 Kph is no problem whatsoever in a capable and properly maintained vehicle.
60MPH was the speed limit on our highways when I was a kid and my dad was driving a Ford Galaxy 500 with no seat belts, drum brakes, & bias ply tires. Perhaps if the limit was more in line with the capability of today's automotive technology, say 130Km (only 10Km over the present speed maintained on the 401) then a greater degree of diligence would be instilled in our driving population. Wishful thinking I suppose.
The root of the problem on our highways is lack of driving skill & a selfish attitude. This presents itself as a lack of courtesy and awareness of other motorists.
I never pull out in front of someone who is gaining on me in the PASSING lane. If I am in the FAST lane and someone is catching up, I accelerate to complete my pass and pull in to let them go. I cannot count the number of times I have been cut off by other selfish motorists who feel that they are justified in slowing me down by drifting out into the passing lane going 2Km faster than the speed of whom they are overtaking. Don't even gat me started on trucks driving side by side for 20Km at 104Km/hr !!

Harrumph!!!!!
+100
Old 03-21-2010, 11:34 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
I've written close to a dozen letters both to my local MP and MPP and it's done squat. I've gotten either automated responses or condescending responses from low level assistants that the "laws are doing good."
Then you are doing something other then whining on the Internet.

I guess my point is that when you look at the big picture, the overzealous anti-speeder laws are crashing down upon everybody. My friends in France & GB & Australia are all singing the same song. Speed cameras, license suspensions & aggressive gendarmes are the norm, as a general ‘speed is bad’ attitude is changing the world’s roads forever. So rant & rave all you want but it is fait accompli.

And as for European roads & drivers? I cannot argue that the norm is higher in Europe. But I have also seen some really bonehead maneuvers in my travels. Of course, I have done some too.

A question: If the Euros are such good drivers, why do all the cars in Paris or Rome or every town & village in Sicily have dents?

Ian
Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
livefree
3rd Gear

Default To the AllanJ's of this country

AllanJ q public is missing the point at some, I wish many more, of our abhorrence to this regulation.
It's not about appropriate punishment for excessive speeding.
This is about the constant chiseling away of our rights, freedoms and privacy in Canada.

The powers that be are masters at spinning and pushing politically correct hot button like safety, equality, environment etc...so that AllanJ q public will line up with their agenda. Unfortunately the good intentions gets entangled with the bad.

ONTARIO REGULATION 455/07 is just one of many changes and proposed changes at all levels that have or will serve to make this country less democratic.
- Fire Marshall wants to force his way into your house to inspect your smoke alarms ($50,000 max. fine non-commercial)
- Conservatives want to make it easier for Police to randomly pull your over
- Police getting easier access to your internet activity
- We can't even cut down trees on our own property. Then again it’s not really our private property anymore.

BTW, there are many other highly subjective driving behaviours under the definition of "stunt" in 455/07. AllanJ q public has probably not even read the law that he/she claims to agree with but rather depends on the media's focus on the over 50 definition.
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_070455_e.htm

"Absolute power corrupts, absolutely"....just ask Zookie.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by livefree
"Absolute power corrupts, absolutely"....just ask Zookie.
Tell me about... but who are you?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 AM
livefree
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Zookie
Tell me about... but who are you?
Just passing thru, saw this thread and your story.

Quick Reply: Fantino's mad stunt racing law upheld