Notices

What can I get with $20-25k Cad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sputter
I'd keep my eye on the other side. If it hasn't yet it will. It's common on the S models and they don't tend to split just one side.

Yeah, I'm gong to take a look at it in the spring when i do my oil change, and also inspect my tranny mounts....

P
Old 02-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

do keep an eye on it...but it can rip as a result of foreign object rubbing on the boot, on the one side only.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The two tranny mounts *should* be fine, its the motor mount that goes at around your milage. I'm doing mine this spring, it's pretty hard/next to impossible to eyeball it. It's easier to just watch the engine with the firewall open to judge the play.

Originally Posted by petee_c
Yeah, I'm gong to take a look at it in the spring when i do my oil change, and also inspect my tranny mounts....

P
Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I put a Pedro mount on it about 6 weeks after I got it. Shifting is not as precise as I'd like. Wanna improve it more. My wife's Crv has nicer shifting then the boxster. My original mount was partially torn

p
Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Sputter
Pro

That's my plan as well. which oh his mounts did you use?
I think a 997 shifter would tighten it up for you.

Originally Posted by petee_c
I put a Pedro mount on it about 6 weeks after I got it. Shifting is not as precise as I'd like. Wanna improve it more. My wife's Crv has nicer shifting then the boxster. My original mount was partially torn

p
Old 02-27-2010, 03:22 PM
carguy88
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2001 S doesn't shift quite as nicely as I'd like either. I had shifter cables replaced, linkage lubricated, and it helped, but still want better. I also have the Pfaff short shifter in - not as short as some others, pretty good compromise of shorter shift while still not a large increase in effort.

Wondering how much engine and/or tranny mount has to do with this? I assume these are two different things? Anyone know which to have checked to improve shifting smoothness and effort? Can a mechanic easily check condition without large cost?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Sputter
Pro

What's a Pfaff short shifter? (since they don't make them).

B&M and Schnell are popular but folks find them notchy and stiff till the tranny is warmed up. There are assorted knockoffs as well (think china).

If you must have short throw then the B&M or Schnell will work.
If your looking for a bit shorter but smoother i'd say a 997 stock shifter (not the 997 short shifter).

*Opinions may vary

P.S. as I said previously, it's tough to see the motor mount and I can't give a percentage of improvement with a motor mount change.
Also, doing a transmission oil change has smoothed it out for some people. It all depends on exactly what you're looking for.

Originally Posted by carguy88
My 2001 S doesn't shift quite as nicely as I'd like either. I had shifter cables replaced, linkage lubricated, and it helped, but still want better. I also have the Pfaff short shifter in - not as short as some others, pretty good compromise of shorter shift while still not a large increase in effort.

Wondering how much engine and/or tranny mount has to do with this? I assume these are two different things? Anyone know which to have checked to improve shifting smoothness and effort? Can a mechanic easily check condition without large cost?

Last edited by Sputter; 02-27-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

A few others have suggested this, but why not get an early 911 for $20-$25k? You get to experience a Porsche (albeit rawer than a 996), maintenance is reasonable, and values have stabilized so you can sell it 2-3 years down the road for close to what you payed for it.

Something like this:

Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy88
Boxster engine mount wear will usually manifest itself initially with a rumbling/vibration at 3000 rpm precisely (going up or down the rpm) and shifting smoothness will progressively become inconsistent (depending how loaded the engine is) as the rubber deteriorates. Rule of thumb is your front engine mount is toast at 45 K miles. I have my new engine mount (987 part update) in a box and need to find time to bring the Boxster to Autowerks... Not a very expensive job: the part is less than $200.00 and it take 1.5 hour to replace it. And you cannot check the condition of the engine mount unless you remove it (not sure if this applies to the tranny mounts).
Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MiataR
A few others have suggested this, but why not get an early 911 for $20-$25k? You get to experience a Porsche (albeit rawer than a 996), maintenance is reasonable, and values have stabilized so you can sell it 2-3 years down the road for close to what you payed for it.

Something like this:

Ahh... love it!

Let me know if you're ever selling your 3.2... but not until I'm out of school and have it paid off!

Off-topic: watched No Man's Land again today, the early 911's make my heart race!

Quick Reply: What can I get with $20-25k Cad?