Notices

What can I get with $20-25k Cad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

"you never know when you will crash it" ... what are you doing? sure someone may hit you but these cars are probably some of the safest cars to drive...if you are driving in control. DE can help wih this.
as far as repairs it is a good idea to have some reserve $ for service. paticularly if IMS goes, RMS I believe is only about $1500 btw.
drive safe.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:15 PM
vipola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't said it was'nt safe. I said you never know what can happen and damage can occur very quickly and no one want to drive a porsche with some tie-raps holding the bumper :P
Old 02-21-2010, 03:31 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
I think that 5 will come just before 4 and that 7 will come after 3.
Good call! Number 7 always comes at the end no? haha..

Originally Posted by Zookie
why They dint love you? got something to prove by moving out?

Good advice... bravo
I'd be embarrassed to bring girls back to my parent's house in a Porsche. Different priorities I guess...
Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by _boman
I'd be embarrassed to bring girls back to my parent's house in a Porsche. Different priorities I guess...
riiiiggghhhttttttt
Old 02-21-2010, 07:45 PM
vipola
Racer

+1
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
nickia
AutoX

Thanks everyone.

BTW is there a problem with the forum posting system? I posted two replies but they did not show up?!!
Old 02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
nickia
AutoX

Thanks everyone.

Actually, my first thought about what to do with my money was to buy a house/apartment and rent it out. It will be positive cashflow but I realize that I only get to live once. The benefit of purchasing a property using $20k downpayment cannot triumph the feeling and excitement of owning a Porsche young.

Speaking in economist's term, the utility of owning a Porsche now is a lot higher than the $1000-2000 annual cashflow I might be generating from my investment.

The cashflow that is generated by $25k is immaterial and the joy of this $25k is significant.

On the other hand, If I have $100k, then investing in properties will be a much wiser decision than dumping it in a 911.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

+1
Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nickia
Thanks everyone.

Actually, my first thought about what to do with my money was to buy a house/apartment and rent it out. It will be positive cashflow but I realize that I only get to live once. The benefit of purchasing a property using $20k downpayment cannot triumph the feeling and excitement of owning a Porsche young.

Speaking in economist's term, the utility of owning a Porsche now is a lot higher than the $1000-2000 annual cashflow I might be generating from my investment.

The cashflow that is generated by $25k is immaterial and the joy of this $25k is significant.

On the other hand, If I have $100k, then investing in properties will be a much wiser decision than dumping it in a 911.
Owing a Porsche does not generate a great return. The ability to have fun with it does. Is your lifestyle able to leverage the Porsche? Can you do track days? Can you do DE's? Go for weekend romps? Can it easily handle the maintenance (or do your parents know what it takes to upkeep a Porsche)? But those things costs money. You don't want to be car poor or worse, Porsche poor. Buying one to say you have one (to showboat) when you don't have two pennies to rub together afterwards is not going to be a good situation to be in.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading this reminds me of being in my 20s. I had several friends who bought 944s, 924s even a 928. They owned them for a year max. I remember a 944 sitting in my friend's driveway for 2 months while he saved to replace a water pump.

Me on the other hand, I drove a brand new Prelude. Awesome car. My Porsche owning buddies and I went everywhere in it.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:38 AM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by nickia
Thanks everyone.

Originally Posted by Nine11
Owing a Porsche does not generate a great return. The ability to have fun with it does. Is your lifestyle able to leverage the Porsche? Can you do track days? Can you do DE's? Go for weekend romps? Can it easily handle the maintenance (or do your parents know what it takes to upkeep a Porsche)? But those things costs money. You don't want to be car poor or worse, Porsche poor. Buying one to say you have one (to showboat) when you don't have two pennies to rub together afterwards is not going to be a good situation to be in.

You both have very good points, I think it all depend of the money left after it.. I must admit I was very proud to own a porsche at 23, but I had some money to buy a house the same year..

Anyway, whatever you choose, have fun, I think everyone here just want you to be aware that the cost of owning a porsche is way bigger than the buying price tag, and that if you choose to buy one, be sure to have some money left and that your not stuck to eat kraft dinner for the next 5 years :P Because you won't have the same excitement of owning a porsche if your too tight to go out and enjoy life

All this been said, I still recommand you a young boxster over a old carrera

Good luck in your buying and keep us informed
Old 02-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Lots of differing philosophies in this thread, and it makes for some interesting reading. I think what most people here agree on is that driving a Porsche to be cool and showboat is truly lame, particularly when you can't afford it. If, on the other hand, you can indeed afford, and its upkeep, and it's something you want more for yourself than your friends, there's not a reason in the world not to buy one.

A cautionary tale: I recently repossessed a 1997 Mercedes S600. The S600 was THE top of the line Mercedes (well, ok, except for a Maclaren!). The MSRP was $133K. It was leased by someone who wanted to be cool to their friends, a wannabe-gangsta. This fool put $2000 cash down and traded in a $3000 car to get this Benz. Then they found out they couldn't afford the payments and the car was repo'd not 6 months into the contract. That dumbass is now out 5 grand and will never get a car loan, because he's got a repo on his record.

This isn't to suggest that you might do something similar,just to illustrate the foolishness of wanting to look cool to your friends.

I'm 34 now, bought my 911 when I was 29, cash outright, not financed. I don't like car payments, especially for toys. Already married, a few years out of grad school, already bought a house, so the big stuff was out of the way, but no kids yet, so none of the associated expenses with that (don't believe what people tell you, kids are expensive!). Best decision I ever made. When I mentioned it to my dad, he said 'what? you're not going to buy a Porsche'. I said, sure, why not? Next thing you know, he bought one too and we're doing track days together. But I couldn't care less what my friends think. I've wanted one of these since I was 9 years old, like that kid in the Porsche commercial looking at the cars in the dealership who asks the salesman for a card and says "I'll be back in 20 years", except there were no dealerships were I grew up. I show up at the track, Sat. GTG's (occasionally!), fun runs, etc. and I've always got the slowest, oldest, and sometimes cheapest Porsche there. Who cares? I love it. It's for me, not for other people.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I'm 34 now, bought my 911 when I was 29, cash outright, not financed. I don't like car payments, especially for toys. Already married, a few years out of grad school, already bought a house, so the big stuff was out of the way, but no kids yet, so none of the associated expenses with that (don't believe what people tell you, kids are expensive!). Best decision I ever made. When I mentioned it to my dad, he said 'what? you're not going to buy a Porsche'. I said, sure, why not? Next thing you know, he bought one too and we're doing track days together. But I couldn't care less what my friends think. I've wanted one of these since I was 9 years old, like that kid in the Porsche commercial looking at the cars in the dealership who asks the salesman for a card and says "I'll be back in 20 years", except there were no dealerships were I grew up. I show up at the track, Sat. GTG's (occasionally!), fun runs, etc. and I've always got the slowest, oldest, and sometimes cheapest Porsche there. Who cares? I love it. It's for me, not for other people.
Are we the same person? Also 34, also waited until after grad school and after my career was established and before we had a kid to get a "toy" car. Also don't think you should ever have a payment on a toy, fun expenses need to come out of disposable income (after tax, after bills, after investments, after savings income). The Porsche in our household is a 3rd car, thus I can tinker with it at my leisure.

Some folks have alluded to this above, but I will state it again. If you are living at home in your 20s, move out immediately. Just my opinion. I left home at 18 for university and never looked back, best thing I ever did. You need to get out on your own as soon as possible, into the deep end without the security blanket your parents provide at home will make you work even harder.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Sensible thing to do is to wait until the foundation in life is built. Emotional side says buy it now.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by chrenan
Are we the same person?
Heh, pretty close, eh? Though I bought the 911 before our first was born. I can't believe how many people asked me after she was born if I was going to sell it. WTF? Why would I? Hell, in the summer it's our 2nd family car!

Originally Posted by Nine11
Sensible thing to do is to wait until the foundation in life is built. Emotional side says buy it now.
Emotional vehicle purchases are ALWAYS a bad idea. I can pinpoint the time that the novely wears off a new car and the reality of car payments for the next 3 or 4 years sets in - it's right around the 6-7 month mark. That's where we see most of our repos. Granted, the novelty might last a little longer with a Porsche.

Quick Reply: What can I get with $20-25k Cad?