Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh.. that's convenient! Having a 2 seat only can be a pain sometime
Old 02-19-2010, 01:52 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by swbatte
I guess it comes down to hardtop or convertible ....
Hey, let's not forget .... Targa, Targa!! Best of both worlds
Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=pongobaz;7326230 The rest of the pics show a few other "robots" called, Dieter, Hans and Manfred![/QUOTE]

Cool pics Pongo....especially the first one where the very last 993 and first 996 are coming out of the spa together. A l'amour.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Sputter
Pro

and who says we're not passionate about our cars :P
Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM
michel944
Pro

Originally Posted by Sputter
and who says we're not passionate about our cars :P
What ? Did someone ever said that ?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 AM
nickia
AutoX

Thanks everyone!!!

How do I get a remote PPI on the Porsche I want? Do I ask the seller to take the car to a shop I found online?

Why do some 1999 Carrera says "911" as the badge instead of "Carrera"? How come some 1999 cars have clear signal light instead of the orange one? Why some steering wheel has the colour Porsche badge and some don't? I know post-2002 Boxster has colour-badge but not sure about 911.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item35a7124c1e
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item439d41a301

I really want to get a 911 but only 1999 seem to fit in my price range. If I get the Boxster, I can stretch it up to 2003. I'm not too concerned about maintenance except major problems because my parents will be helping out.

I'm working at the Toronto Auto Show at the Pfaff Porsche Booth. And boy, they have the best looking cars in the entire show, and I fell in love with those cars! I'm 21 so it'd mean a lot to me to buy a Porsche using my own money. I just want a Porsche that I can drive for 4 years before I upgrade to a better/newer one.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:30 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Nickia,

I don't know where to start. I want to say good on ya for aspiring to own such a vehicle at your age. I bought my first 911 at 18... I crashed it in 4 days and it took me 5 years to pay for a car I wasn't driving (car was a write off and I didn't have insurance). Keep this in mind.

Do you know how often you will use $1000 in tires? Do you know how much to expect for maintenance? Do you know how much a new engine will cost if, heaven forbid, the engine fails? What I'm attempting to get at is that although pruchase price may be feasable, maintenance can easily break you. How about insurance? I'll bet it's going to be $300-$400 a month for someone your age.

Lastly, take your money and buy a home, rent it out and when you can afford to, buy a second home and keep it going until you can afford to buy your car with other peoples money. I'm 28 and bought my 997 from pfaff 4 months ago. It took me a while after that first Porsche but I learnt my lesson. Buy assests not liabilities. Your time will come brotha.

If your parents want to help you out, that's another thing. Personally, I would rather take their money as a down payment on a home.

Best of luck either way. We all have lessons to learn, I hope yours are easier than mine were.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:28 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

nickia,

atr911's comments are probably pretty good wisdom.... I've been working fulltime since I stepped out of University, and just bought my 1st Porsche last year at 37 years old....

You want to be able to enjoy it, and not have it as a financial burden.

A daily driven Porsche would definitely be one of the most expensive modes of transportation available for someone your age.

Peter
Old 02-20-2010, 11:42 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickia
Thanks everyone!!!

How do I get a remote PPI on the Porsche I want? Do I ask the seller to take the car to a shop I found online?

Why do some 1999 Carrera says "911" as the badge instead of "Carrera"? How come some 1999 cars have clear signal light instead of the orange one? Why some steering wheel has the colour Porsche badge and some don't? I know post-2002 Boxster has colour-badge but not sure about 911.

I really want to get a 911 but only 1999 seem to fit in my price range. If I get the Boxster, I can stretch it up to 2003. I'm not too concerned about maintenance except major problems because my parents will be helping out.

I'm working at the Toronto Auto Show at the Pfaff Porsche Booth. And boy, they have the best looking cars in the entire show, and I fell in love with those cars! I'm 21 so it'd mean a lot to me to buy a Porsche using my own money. I just want a Porsche that I can drive for 4 years before I upgrade to a better/newer one.

once you have selected your car.....and determined its location/talked to seller & get his suggestions for a pro shop nearby - you can confirm quality of the shop for the p.p.i. with the assistance of either boxster forum or 996 forum (just post up help needed ....).
yes seller will have to take it there

in addition to ebay you may want to register & search for your target cars at
pelican forum if are searching south of the border

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/

or craigslook

http://www.craiglook.com/
Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by nickia
Thanks everyone!!!

I'll add you my life story in this thread.. I bought my first porsche at 23 (a 99 Red Boxster).. now I'm 26 and I'm currently upgrading to a 2006 Boxster S. And no my parents didn't helped me paying that.. they drive a civic.. :P

I know you may be attracted to 911.. but 99 is still pretty old for a car.. When you buy a porsche, you need to keep in head that the buying price is nothing beside maintenance price.. And Even if theses car are very good quality and don't broke often, when they do, it's very expensive.. and even normal wear maintenance can be very expensive if you drive this car often.. you don't want to put all you have into a car that you won't be able to drive or maintain.. And you don't want to depend entirely on your parents to maintain your little toys..
Having a nice car is the worst investment you can do.. keep you some $ for a house, better investments and other toys (Motorcycle, SPA, Nice Camera, TV, Oven, etc) you'll see.. at our age buying everything you wish go pretty fast..
As a rule of thumb, always go for the more recent / less millage car you can get when you buy a car like that if your not an expert mecanic yourself.. Yes you can find some old car in excellent condition, but it require more work to find them.. You want your porsche experience to be smooth and easy, there is no point to buy a porsche if you need to tow it to a garage on the nicest day of the summer.. Another thing about an older car is the value it have from the insurance if you 'total' it in an accident.. They go with the average market price of that car and don't care if you paid twice the price because of the mint condition, single owner, etc..

a Oil change on these car is about 150$ just in parts (10L at 10$/each + filter) we are pretty far from the 39.99$ oil change at mr lub!.. I had an alternator problem during a trip at Prince Edouard Island.. it cost me almost 1K to get it replace in a rush over there to be back to work here in ottawa. Tires alones are 250$+ each.. and you don't whant to cut corner on theses thing.. there is no point of having one of the best handling car and put crappy tires on it..

What I can see from your story is that you want a porsche for the badge on it.. exactly like I did.. don't remove the boxster too quick from your list.. If you are gonna buy a porsche.. I recommand you to buy a more recent boxster instead of a older carrera for the same price.. this way you got better chance to save in repair cost.. Also don't forget that Boxster are convertible.. There is nothing better than inviting a girl for a ride in a convertible on a nice sunny day. If you just want a nice P-Car to drive until you can get something better, I would suggest you to aim at a boxster, learn it, and later on get you the carrera of your dream, in better shape that what you could afford right now.... and if you have extra money, bring it to the track (Education Driving offered by the Porsche Club of America), you'll realise very quickly that all those crazy thing you think you did on the streer are nothing compared of what this car can do in a controlled environment. And after all, most of the peoples around you won't even see the difference if your driving a boxster or a carrera.. the Boxster turn head, specially with the top down.. and it's a Soooo nice ride.. Soo well balanced.. don't get fooled by the purist.. the Boxster is a real sportcar I even yeard from peoples at DE that they would prefer a boxster on the track because it was more balanced than their carrera..

I personally recommand you to find a nice reliable car at a porsche dealer instead of taking a chance of having a badluck with importing a car.. When I bought my first porsche I almost got scammed by the individual selling it to me.. I just had the time to cancel the check before the bank toke the money.. I canceled that deal and with straight to a dealer to buy a reliable car with peace of mind.. As you said.. it's a big moove for you.. you don't want to have 20K$ freezed somewhere during the nicest 3 month of summer because of a ripoff of somehow..

Good luck in your research and buying, I hope all our comments will help you out

- Dan
Old 02-20-2010, 02:11 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with the wise posts above...

1. Graduate
2. Leave your parent's house ~ seriously.
3. Invest in a property and/or business
4. Meet a nice, hot, (expensive) woman
5. Purchase Porsche 911
6. ????
7. Profit.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _boman
I agree with the wise posts above...

1. Graduate
3. Invest in a property and/or business
4. Meet a nice, hot, (expensive) woman
5. Purchase Porsche 911
6. ????
7. Profit.
I think that 5 will come just before 4 and that 7 will come after 3.

Last edited by atr911; 02-20-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by _boman
why They dint love you? got something to prove by moving out?

Good advice... bravo
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a look at the 996 forum and do some research on the RMS issues, yes they do exist but not to the extent that I think you have to panic. I've had an air cooled (uber fun) and now have a water pumper and have to say the newer car is so much nicer on a daily driver basis but my "old school" 911 was a ton of fun.

My advice:
1) get one, you won't be sorry
2) don't make yourself 'car poor' so that all you can do is finance your car
3) enjoy this process as part of the fun

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new baby!
Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 PM
vipola
Racer

I forgot to add to my comment that I see a porsche just like a Motorcycle.. It's a TOY.. you never know when your gonna crash it, and it's not an investment (like a house).. so you should only buy one when you have the money to pay it cash.. instead of financing it for the next 5 year and ending up paying something that you don't drive anymore..

Quick Reply: What can I get with $20-25k Cad?