Notices

PCA banishing non club events from Provinz

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts
Default PCA banishing non club events from Provinz

Just read this and thouht it was kind of interesting. I don't have a dog in the fight so thought maybe I was the right person to bring it up . In the presidents message he says the quality of non porsche track days is questionable. So the club will no longer advertise or promote in Provinz or the web site any non Porsche club lapping day event.
Would make you believe that if you register with a PCA event you are offered some kind of protecton then , that the others don't. .... hmmm..
At first i thought " protecting the revenue stream" but I think all Porsche track days sell out anyway don't they ? so maybe not ...

Just thought it was worth mentioning .. So I guess the giant Marketing budget of AM993 and the Rennlist track days can take a break ..
Old 02-12-2010, 10:29 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I guess since some other track events decided that they don't need to have flagers or enough of them and have other safety concerns that they don't want to advertise them.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. Having been to many events, held by many organizers, I would say that some stand out as excellent, such as APEX and BMW and there are others of lower quality. PCA events are good, but I wouldn't say they are the best out there. I can see them wanting not to advertise the lower quality events, but I think they are throwing the baby out with the bath water.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

PCA or just Upper Canada?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Just UCR.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Where's that "aw geez, not this **** again" pic when you need it?

UCR days are fine, but are far from the safest. In my personal experience, I've seen more crashes at UCR events than any other.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand RSR has such a good safety record that the PCA has used their instructor/safety protocol to devise standards for PCA sanctioned track days.

I can understand not wanting to promote something that doesn't comply with groups standards. In my opinion, it's about time that media takes responsibility for the content and doesn't just publish a disclaimer.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

UCR days are fine, but are far from the safest. In my personal experience, I've seen more crashes at UCR events than any other.[/QUOTE]

percentage wise they are amoungst the lowest...consider that ucr events have over 100 participants. one non pca event had 25% of the cars involved in incidents. another consideration is how long the track is shut down when there is an incident.
other events are fine you just have to know how it is being run. btw ucr events get full in the lower run groups but not all are sold out.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys, the answer may be simpler than what you have talked about - although you've raised good points no matter what.

PCA is concerned with liability if any PCA region is deemed to be promoting events not covered by PCA insurance.

The most common one is karting. PCA has made it clear to all region execs that karting events cannot be promoted by PCA and are excluded from insurance coverage.

I gather that in the US, lawsuits have resulted.

So, no PCA region is allowed to publicize karting events for fear that such an event may be construed as being remotely endorsed by a PCA region for fear of incurring liability.

Given the above - and we are reminded of this every Zone 1 meeting, I'd say that the same idea applies to track events not run by PCA - which may or may not have liability coverage.

Best,
Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Christien
Race Car

Danny, you're right %age-wise of all attendees, however there are still the same # of cars on-track at any given time. UCR DE attendees spend the vast majority of their time in the paddock. So accident #s should be the same. And all but one of the crashes I've seen have happened in the more advanced groups, which, as you stated, aren't usually full.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys, the answer may be simpler than what you have talked about - although you've raised good points no matter what.

PCA is concerned with liability if any PCA region is deemed to be promoting events not covered by PCA insurance.

The most common one is karting. PCA has made it clear to all region execs that karting events cannot be promoted by PCA and are excluded from insurance coverage.

So, no PCA region is allowed to publicize karting events for fear that such an event may be construed as being remotely endorsed by a PCA region for fear of incurring liability.

Given the above - and we are reminded of this every Zone 1 meeting, I'd say that the same idea applies to track events not run by PCA - which may or may not have liability coverage.

Best,
Does that mean that if the Globe and Mail runs an ad for Air Canada and the plane crashes, the Globe is liable? Or if they run an ad for Ford and someone gets killed driving the Ford the paper is liable? That's ridiculous. Paid advertisements are not promoting - they're two completely different things.

I realize it's a world run by lawyers, but PCA is being dumb about this.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

I can't believe how anti-karting the PCA executives are, other clubs such as the BMW Club don't have problems promoting karting events. I think there is more of a chance at being killed or seriously hurt at a DE event than at a karting event.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Christien
Race Car

Does any of this have to do with a litigation lawyer now being the president of UCR?
Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Does any of this have to do with a litigation lawyer now being the president of UCR?
No, but it does have a lot to do with PCA's new Insurance company and I suspect litigation in the USA. PCA insurance explicitly excludes karting - I suppose there is a reason

Rennsport, NER, NNJR, NCR, CVR,Metro etc. all have the same rules applied to them.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Bob I do see your point about the Kating and whole heartdly agree.. But the Track days are a complely different thing and are paid advertisement ... i agree with Christien on this one .. I know many listers are close to the club and even help out on the board , I have much respect for those people but I have to cry foul on this one ... looks like an ulterior motive at work ...
If you think they have the clubs memberships protection at heart why does Pano run adds for Victory Motors and Motormeister .. ? okay maybe a reference only a couple of you would get .. right Christien?

I would be interested to hear Mark Dexters commets about this ... apparently runs a VERY safe operation .. can he not advertise either ?

Quick Reply: PCA banishing non club events from Provinz