Notices

Cardiac surgeon stopped for speeding....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:34 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Definitely a Pandora's box. Given how many doctors can afford high performance cars, where do you draw the line between what's OK to speed through and what isn't? At the end of the day it's the docs word against the cops. And if cops all across town take the time to follow the doc to the office to check the validity of their claims, then it becomes "how dare they cowtow to doctors on taxpayer time" from everyone else. You can't win....
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 PM
entdoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Police officers have let me off a number of times when seeing that I'm a doctor - even when I'm not speeding to an emergency. My understanding is that police on patrol show a great deal of leniency toward physicians whereas those on specific traffic duty will not. I think the vast majority of police officers are generally really good people and exercise a lot of common sense and discretion.

I think it would be quite rare for a physician to claim that they are rushing to an emergency when they are, in fact, not. Such an action would constitute professional misconduct and would likely result in (medical) license suspension or revocation. The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario has a very low tolerance for this type of behaviour. I know that I would never risk my career for the sake of a ticket.

Despite the publicity, this is nothing new. Every couple of years we hear the same story of one of us being ticketed on way to an emergency.

In this case, the officer did absolutely the wrong thing. I can think of several cases, over my career, where a patient would have died had I not rushed in to the hospital at illegal speeds. Common sense has to prevail but there is nothing to suggest that this cardiologist was driving in a wreckless fashion that was endangering more lives than it was protecting.

Fortunately, I don't think that many of us would act any differently in this situation - we'll just pay the tickets and do what's right for our patients.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:54 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I was rushing to my place of business because the alarm had been tripped. A cop pulled out behind me and I slowed down from 30 over to 20 over, and he followed me all the way to work. I was freaking, thinking that at any second the lights were going to go on, but they didn't. He pulled in behind me, hopped out of his car and laughingly said " I thought we might be heading to the same place".
Turned out to be a false alarm. Happy ending.

My point is, don't paint all officers with the same brush.
Most of these guys are genuine, intelligent folks who are simply out to keep us all safe.
Unfortunately, like every profession, some are moronic asses, and some are simply prejudicial ******.

:-)
Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by entdoc
I think the vast majority of police officers are generally really good people and exercise a lot of common sense and discretion.
Originally Posted by irobertson
Most of these guys are genuine, intelligent folks who are simply out to keep us all safe.
Unfortunately, like every profession, some are moronic asses, and some are simply prejudicial ******.
Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, somehow the vehicles I drive have "bad cop" magnets fitted at the factory, or maybe the MTO slips them in when title is transferred to me. As I said in another thread, I have yet to actually experience an officer using "discretion" (i.e. let off with a warning). The majority of police that have pulled me over have been dicks, intent on "making a point", or "teaching me a lesson". I can honestly say I've never once been rude, or failed the "attitude test" (though passing the attitude test I think is, like attaining a level green in homeland security threat levels, about as likely as spotting Bigfoot) however I've never once coming away from a traffic stop without a ticket.

My entire experience with police is 45-minute waits for them to show up when called, yet 45-second waits to pull me over for speeding. Hell, I even almost got a ticket for jaywalking when I was in high school. The cop decided he wanted to embarrass me in front of my friends. It kind of backfired.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I agree that they are not all morons by any means. I was heading for Mosport a couple of years ago for a BMW meet and we were on the 80K/m straight road that leads there ; An M5, M6 and 645. Road was empty and dry and we were running at 130 or so when we hit a trap. I was lead. Cop came over and asked me where the track was. "over there": I replied. " So, you realize this is the road, then"...Yes.

He told me there were complaints about speeding in the area, and to keep to the limit. Had me dead to rights, and gave me a break. ( I keep to the 80 limit there now)

There are certainly some dicks out there, and the example set by the repulsive Fantino does not help, but there are decent folks too.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I can't wait to see what happens with Fantino and this charge in Haldimand court. I seriously hope he's found guilty, and is brought down a few pegs. Love him or hate him, thank god there are people like Gary McHale in this world to fight dicks like Fantino.

Quick Reply: Cardiac surgeon stopped for speeding....