Notices

Where can you rent a pickup and tow with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Stovepipe
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can you rent a pickup and tow with it?

I'm close to sealing a deal on a nice rust-free classic car that's located in Texas. If things go well I'll be bringing her home in the next week or so.

Problem is, I don't have a way to tow her home. No close buddies have pickups.

Putting her on a car hauler and shipping isn't ideal, because I want to see the car myself before buying it. I'd have to fly down, inspect and buy it, fly home, and then put it on a hauler. Costly and a hassle.

U-haul rents car trailers for ~$50/day. I've been trying to find a company that will rent a pickup truck with a trailer hitch. U-haul does, but the mileage is 20 cents a km...and I will be putting on 4000km round trip. Cha-ching.

Enterprise rents trucks for towing with unlimited km, but they don't let them leave Canada.

Anyone know where you can rent a pickup (or other suitable vehicle) in the GTA that you can tow with, that can go into the USA, with unlimited km?

Cheers,

Phil
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 AM
GTA_G20
Racer

I rented an SUV from Hertz, Put my own hitch after driving away. They allow driving to usa and have unlimited KM. I doubt anyone rents allowing towing outside of Uhaul and they charge not so nicely.

This is how i got my porsche from south carolina, problem free
Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

If you intend renting a U haul car trailer check first to see if the tow vehicle is acceptable. You can do that on line. They need to know vehicle and hitch rating, (class and rated tongue weight). I discovered that Ford Explorer is not approved but my GMC 1500 Van with a class 4 was OK.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Stovepipe
AutoX

Originally Posted by GTA_G20
I rented an SUV from Hertz, Put my own hitch after driving away. They allow driving to usa and have unlimited KM. I doubt anyone rents allowing towing outside of Uhaul and they charge not so nicely.

This is how i got my porsche from south carolina, problem free
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean you put on your own hitch? I assume you mean you put a ball onto the bumper? What about wiring for the trailer's lights?
Old 01-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

don' forget to send a copy of the ownership to US customs 72 hours ahead of time. this may cause a bump in your plans unless you can vacation nearby. good luck. what are you looking at?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

If you plan on towing with all 4 wheels off the ground U-haul will not rent you a car trailer with an suv unless it is a full size like suburban etc. They will only rent you a car dolly. Not the greatest idea for long mileage.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:08 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

Originally Posted by mhr
If you plan on towing with all 4 wheels off the ground U-haul will not rent you a car trailer with an suv unless it is a full size like suburban etc. They will only rent you a car dolly. Not the greatest idea for long mileage.
This is untrue, I've towed with a jeep grand cherokee rented from Avis before they did away with SUV unlimited mileage. I also have towed with GMC envoy and trailblazer. Cherokee was under powered and I towed a mitsubishi spyder eclipse from Flint, Mi to Pickering Gas cost me $230. I towed my boxster with the envoy from Columbia, SC to ajax in September and gas was just shy of $500 usd and I took the long way back go through virginia beach and NYC all with a boxster behind me.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

I tried to rent a trailer to transport a 944 with my Mazda CX9 AWD that is equipped with the towing package including the 2" receiver etc and they said they will only rent me a dolly. They said acceptable tow vehicles were mostly full sized pickups and SUV's. Best to check on the web site and you enter your vehicle and what you are towing and they show you what they will rent you.

I am not saying it will not work just my experience when I tried. Possibly the U-Haul dealer I went to was picky.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

This is true. What I did was check online what the requirements were and then checked the owners manual of the vehicle and told them the cherokee was the top of the line v8 model which it was not. Uhaul would know no different other than the towing tongue weight that pops up in their online database. The people I used didnt check for make and model. Towing tongue weight I believe was the main concern. Hopefully the car selected has a model able to tow at this capacity.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Also might want to check if U-Haul will let you put that car on their trailer. They have list of cars that are a no-no and the 928 is one of them (door too low and interferes with the trailer’s fenders).

Quick Reply: Where can you rent a pickup and tow with it?