Notices

Mobil 0w-40 20% off at crappytire

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to argue..
My information comes from people who know more than me lol.

Do you know at what point in the life of oil that the "buffer" is used up? What makes you think that the jetta's engine works as hard as the m96? Rather than using blackstone to do the jetta analysis, i'd be doing the m96s analysis. 10k is just under 7k miles which isn't a long change.
I like 5k changes but that's subjective and besides, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
It may or may not be held directly for engine issues but it definately has a bearing on wear. The cleaner the oil the less wear.

my 2cents.

Originally Posted by petee_c
I am not sure if the above reasoning is sound. I am not sure if Jaak's statement/observation proves anything. Are engine rebuilds not happening on vehicles with less than a 20,000km interval?

I don't think that the oil change interval can be held directly to blame for engine failures.

I would argue the following points could also be true (i.e. not false).

- engine rebuilds can occur, at any mileage, on a vehicle with any degree of maintenance

- engine failures may be related to stresses in the metals molded, cast, or machined to control combustive forces ( turning the combustion of gas and air into movement of the piston, then reversing the movement of that piston and related metal parts and starting over again)

- a lot of what we think we know about our vehicles/toys is from what we have heard other people say, who are not necessarily in the field.

- there have been advancements in oil over the years, what we heard as the standard practise back then, may not apply today.

- oils have base additives to neutralize (buffer) acidic byproducts of combustion. If those buffers are used up, then u start to have a problem with acidic oil. Anytime the buffers are still active, then your oil is fine from an acid/base standpoint.

- from oil analysis, most viscocity changes occur early on in the (oil change) interval. i.e. an oil with 0km on it is substantially different than an oil with 1000km on it, but the difference in viscosity between an oil with 1000km on it and 10,000km on it is not as drastic.

- there is a lot more oil in the pan of a BMW, or a Porsche then most other vehicles we see on the road, there may be some validity to the extended oil change intervals given the fact that our oils are used 1/2 as much. i.e. My Jetta 1.8T (APR chip) holds 4.4L of 5w40, I let oil changes go 10,000km before changing, given the Boxster's oil pan capacity is over twice as much, the oil only gets 'worked' 1/2 as hard. Oil appears fine with the extended interval on the Jetta, according the Blackstone analysis.

--------------
It's my hypothesis that people give too much credit to the notion that doing frequent oil changes helps the longevity of their vehicles, given today's advances in clean burning engines, and oil technologies.

P
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 PM
jamesjedi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a link to 27/08 Oil Technical;

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/Po...Oils200808.pdf

You can save this copy to your compter.

James
Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

until someone developed the "on-board real time oil analysis option " we are all just making best guesses... currenlty I can't see fitting the mass - spec that would be required into the trunk.

Although I don't think frequent oil changes will prevent engine rebuilding, I would personally rather go more frequent than less just to save a few bucks .

A lot also depends on the design of your engine as to which oil to use ... i think we all may have differing opinions but we all have the right idea.

Quick Reply: Mobil 0w-40 20% off at crappytire