Notices

GTA drivers Piss me off

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTA drivers **** me off

I don't know if many of you experience the same level of incompetence on the road as I do, maybe its just me, but I've had my share of idiots in the past couple of months I've owned my car. Most recently this weekend.

I was driving back from up north and when the road is open/clear I usually flip the cruise control, which I did and set it at 120 km/h and stuck to the right lane (it was late, not too many cars and you'll probably all agree its usually the lane that has the least amount of traffic). So as I "cruise" along, I approach a Nissan Altima in the middle lane, dude decides to speed up. Fine I don't care, he accelerates to get away from me. This continues on for several exits (i.e. my cruise is on, he's obviously come off the gas, my car approaches and then he punches it).

Honestly I could care less, until of course we start getting into a little traffic and I know that I'm gonna get boxed in, so I decide for the last attempt, I dump a gear and punch it past this turkey and some other cars so I don't get swallowed by the pack. I leave them in the dust and set the cruise back on when I'm well infront of the pack in the middle lane. This fellow indeed got boxed in and after a several secs was able to break away from the pack, i see him in the distance getting closer and closer, meanwhile I got my cruise still set, he comes at me at blistering speed and then weaves to the right lane at the last minute and then cuts back into the middle lane and keeps going. I didn't bother battling with him.

This has happened on a few occasions. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

so he almost hit you from behind? what a goof. seems like everybody wants to race when in the pcar!
I just came back from LA and I can't believe in comparison how slow people in this city drive. they get in the left lane and drive 10 km under the speed limit while texting on the phone.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

GTA is brutal for slow drivers. God help them if it rains, oh my stars, we all have to drive at 40 under! That said, our highway system is woefully inadequate for the number of people that live here.

Montreal is so cool - just insane, crazy and fast. So long as you're expecting it and are willing to keep up and drive just as insanely, you get where you're going way faster!
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM
ibeaudoin
Racer

Originally Posted by Christien
Montreal is so cool - just insane, crazy and fast. So long as you're expecting it and are willing to keep up and drive just as insanely, you get where you're going way faster!
We do have a bunch of idiots over here, but things are moving much faster.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,148 Likes on 822 Posts

for me for some reason it is the short bald guys driving f -150s .. Guess I must live in farm Country
Old 10-19-2009, 08:14 PM
keithfox
Intermediate

What about the most recent phenomenon of 'short stoppers' leaving two car lengths between them and the car in front of them when they come to a stop?

Now in bad weather I can understand leaving room in case the person behind can't stop so you can move up or on a hill behind someone you think is driving a stick in case they roll back, but I'm talking about clear days on flat roads !

This has become epidemic recently. If we were in the middle of nowhere it wouldn't matter, but in the GTA we are backed up everywhere. Last thing we need is people making the lines longer, blocking access to turn lanes, etc.

I've really noticed this a lot in the last few years. Is this something they are teaching at new driver classes ? Otherwise I just can't understand it.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

it' so they have rom to cut out and cut off the guy in the moving lane .... causing even more headaches ... it is the time for me when I am most anxious. When my lane is moving and the one at one or both sides is stopped.. you just know SOMEONE is going to dart out and cut you off..
Old 10-19-2009, 08:34 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I notice a lack of patience and that causes all kinds of problems, though the effect is usually several cars back of the instigator. My other peeve is the lack of consideration at merges. It's as if there's a race on and that allowing a vehicle to fit in front will cause loss of face or entrance to heaven or something like that. As far as leaving space in front thats purely defensive and one length is minimal, it's called escape room.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

As an ex-Montrealer, I must say that both cities have some of the worst drivers on the planet! Montreal also has even more severely deteriorated roads that make you feel like you're driving your p-car through a recently detonated Afghan mine field.
If Canadian roads and drivers were half as good those of France or Germany, I'd feel 10x safer driving here.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Originally Posted by pongobaz
If Canadian roads and drivers were half as good those of France or Germany, I'd feel 10x safer driving here.
Theres a math question in there somewhere
Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the standard of driving among women quite frankly is getting worse. They *used* to be careful and used their heads - now they are becoming rude and as stupid as some men. For me, the drivers I give a whole lot of room to are in order:

1. Any Chrysler van driven by a woman who is in the left lane, (more so if they have multi stick on ribbons!). Baby IN car and kids jumping around inside is added points in threat mode when vehicle is over 120+kph (Danger Will Robinson mode!)

2. Any SUV driven as if it's center of gravity is lower then my 996. More so if the male behind the wheel has an arm over the passenger seat.

3. ANY Honda Civic between the years 1990 and 2000. Just because. You know I'm right.

4. The mid size 4 ton HINO brand delivery truck for Asian food stores who NEVER stop before turning right at red lights.

5. Magnums. All of them. Mostly the all black ones including their windows and who's drivers see ANY Porsche as an insult to their manhood and just HAVE to be in front of you to prove they can still get it up.

6. Mom and Pop in that old and I mean old, Ford who drive everywhere at 50% of any posted speed limit and ALWAYS between the hours of 8:00AM to 9:00AM and 5:00PM to 6:00PM. God love them and I know you fought in the war and all that but please... insist on the doctors visits when most people have reached the office!

7. Complete idiots, usually in 4 door's who as they drive through an intersection in the left lane decide as I am about to turn right into the right lane in the same direction - to CHANGE LANES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE INTERSECTION as they are blasting through. This is how you kill people who are turning onto the road or making left turns.

8. People who drive at 200kph in a 60 zone and who - drunk to boot and who wipe out a family in a heartbeat and who will do no more then 2 to 3 years at best in jail and then *pretend* they cannot speak English and need a court interpreter when they were able to speak to the cops and EMT crew in English!!

Maybe there is a special hell for you but as an agnostic, I have my doubts. But just in case, I hope there IS a hell for you retard.

There is more but I ran out of steam after number 8.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:21 AM
Rodscobra
Advanced

Default geez

Having lived in Alberta for the past 8 years, I must say the lack of driving skill in the west is ridiculous. I don't enjoy driving as much as i did in Ontario. Most of the offending vehicles are lifted (you need a ladder to get into the thing) diesel 3/4 or 1 tonne P/U's if you should happen to pass one of these pin heads in a porsche, they assume a race is on. they want to race in a vehicle with a center of gravity so far out of wack with gigantic tires throwing rocks because the mud flaps are no longer large enough to prevent this. Unreal! The roads are flat and straight, for the life of me I can not figure out how someone manages to ram into a parked police car on the shoulder killing the officer ,this has happened a few times? Now a law slowing all traffic down to 70km while passing an emergency vehicle prevents this from happening unless your asleep at the wheel. Diesel p/u trucks I dislike, these giant suppositories are left to idel all year round??? Clueless. I have not driven in T.O. since last summer, but I think the skill level might be slightly higher there certainty outside the city anyways.

Sorry about the rant, it felt good to let this out! LOL
Old 10-20-2009, 07:15 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, Boston holds the undisputed title of worst drivers in North America. Toronto is a lowly 2nd or 3rd. I-95 through Miami to West Palm is there too. Montreal doesn't even make Top 10 on my list.

Ian
Old 10-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I am usually careful of any very young guys in old 3 series or similar quickish cars. You will see them using all three lanes of the DVP in traffic weaving frantically to gain a couple of car lengths.
Of course, if we are honest, you do see the occasional Porsche driver doing some scary stuff. I had a Boxster pass me two lanes over on the DVP in fairly dense traffic, late braking, quick flip into next lane, hard acceleration to the next gap. It not unusual to catch up with these folks merely be staying in lane.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by keithfox
What about the most recent phenomenon of 'short stoppers' leaving two car lengths between them and the car in front of them when they come to a stop?

I've really noticed this a lot in the last few years. Is this something they are teaching at new driver classes ? Otherwise I just can't understand it.
A friend of mine was out in his car with his daugher driving recently, she had just completed driver training and did just that. When he asked her why .... turns out that's what she was taught in driver's ed.

Quick Reply: GTA drivers Piss me off