Notices

996/Boxster oil filter housing removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Rickker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996/Boxster oil filter housing removal tool

After struggling to loosen the oil filter housing on my '99C4, I am determined to purchase the correct tool for the next time. I noticed that Pelican has these for $37US. This will be more than $50 Canadian with exchange and shipping.

Then, I noticed a bunch of similar tools at Canadian Tire. A cup with flutes to match the housing, with a hex for a socket at the bottom. These are going for less than ten bucks. Here's the question:

Does one of the CTC products (there are about 4 sizes) fit the oil filter housing on the 996 or Boxster? Secondly, do these hard plastic tools stand up to the job? I believe the factory tool, and the one from Pelican is metal. I believe the torque to remove and install the Porsche filter housing is quite a bit more than on other cars.

Thanks.

...Rickker
Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 AM
Sputter
Pro

If it fits then it'll standup. It's only a housing and it's not cranked on. I forget offhand the torque and cup size. When I get back from the barn I can give you the numbers.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Rickker
Racer

Originally Posted by Sputter
If it fits then it'll standup. It's only a housing and it's not cranked on. I forget offhand the torque and cup size. When I get back from the barn I can give you the numbers.
Well, the torque spec is 19 lb-ft, which I agree, is "not cranked on", but the removal torque can be a lot higher. Remember the "ordinary" oil filters that are just hand tightened on installation? Well, you can't get them off by hand. That's why I am asking if the plastic hex on the bottom will stand up. So, if you have been using one successfully, that's good enough for me.
...Rickker
Old 10-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the plastic one from Can. Tire. It worked once. The end where you put the ratchet wrench in cracked while trying to loosen the filter.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Sputter
Pro

I think the metal ones are the best but the plastic cup should be fine in most cases. Like you mention torqueing it on isn't the same as removal.

As Brian said, he broke his. For ten bucks it's worth a shot imho. You just don't want to break the filter housing.

I've got another 3 weeks before I do my oil change etc and put my Boxster to bed.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Rickker
Racer

Thanks for the replies, Brian and Sputter. I believe NAPA has some metal ones, but I will have to jack up my 996 to measure the OD of the housing, and count the number of flutes. I just completed my oil change, so I really don't need the tool until likely about a year from now.
...Rickker
Old 10-12-2009, 01:58 AM
scubadawg
Advanced

I went to the Mercedes dealer and ordered one, about 35.00 for a metal one, same size as a Porsche one, since the local Porsche will not sell me one.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 AM
banban
5th Gear

The one with the seatbelt strap will work. I used this on my oil change a few weeks ago. It's about $7 at CT

Quick Reply: 996/Boxster oil filter housing removal tool