Notices

MY 993 is SOLD!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
Re. point number 7, by "really tempted" I'm not sure what you mean, but if you mean tempted to go for his higher offer and leave the other buyer high and dry, than good on you for resisting.

I once was interested in a 944S at “Shift into Spring” at Pfaff motors that was for sale. I spent time looking the car over etc and then when I was happy I offered the guy to buy it for his asking price – I would leave a deposit right there and then and go get the rest of the money that day. He said “OK” and I was literally handing the deposit money to him when another guy who was listening butted in and asked to have a word with the car owner on the side. They move off to the side and start talking and my spider sense starts going into overdrive. I knew what was likely happening. Sure enough, the owner came back and said the other guy was offering $200 more than his asking and so, sorry, he wasn’t going to sell it to me… He didn’t even ask if I would counter (not that I would – not because of the money, but because of what I felt was sheer classlessness). I had been so respectful to this guy, so I could not believe his attitude. Yes, there was no written contract and yes, the money was still in my hand the second the other guy butted in, but I still felt it was a very poor way to conduct a sale. I have been in the exact same situation where, as the seller, I went ahead with a prior agreed sale despite having a better offer after that agreement. It is just what is honorable IMO. Good on you for rising above it! Good Karma will compensate you for much more than that $2500.
I think my honour is worth more than 200.00...... and I am not even Klingon ! ! what a classless P.O.S.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

the title of this thread should be I sold what used to be my 993!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Geeze Dan..

Originally Posted by Turbodan
About 5 years ago I drove out to London to see an Audi A6 which was a good price. I drove 2 hours each way and made a deal with the guy "handshake", he didn't want a deposit and said he was a businessman (had a nice house, kids 2 cars etc) and then he backed out of the deal. what a scumbag. I have had numerous sales where another buyer offered more than the guy I sold car to and I just passed on the number to the other guy. I sleep well at night. we only have one reputation and it is worth being decent to uphold. I am always a man of my word. many are not...especially some car dealers, some lawyers and some others...sorry for the rant
Thats 4 hours of your life that you'll never get back.... How Sh_t is that??
Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

worse it made me question every time someone gave me their word.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
I think my honour is worth more than 200.00...... and I am not even Klingon ! ! what a classless P.O.S.
Guys, I can tell you a few hundred is no big deal but when you get to the $2500 mark.......the devil starts talking to you. Not to mention $2500 is a whole lotta diapers.

BUT....when all is said and done...... I have been able to hold my head up high and Sleep like a baby at night.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Funny, when I sold my boxster I didn't have any flakes at all. In fact, very little action. I think I had 3 people interested, and of those, 1 was serious enough to drive 2 hours to see and drive the car, and the other bought it. Only 1 virtual tire kicker, and he didn't waste any more of my time than a few emails back and forth. And maybe 7 or 8 one-email-only people.

When I sold the 944 on the other hand, it was a complete nightmare with flakes coming out of the woodwork. Part of it was my fault - I sold it on ebay! Won't do that again...
Old 09-22-2009, 11:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

My first post and one from a happy first time buyer and now owner of a Porsche...a Speed Yellow 993!

Hi Albert,

You can sleep extremely well knowing that your car went to a fanatic; one that looks after everything that he owns. Just as my motorcycles get driven and cleaned (break out the Q-Tips), so will this Porsche. Hell, even my ten-year-old daily driver Honda CR-V is near mint!

The drive home was nice even though I took the boring 401 & 416 to get home. I really wanted to take the back roads but it would have taken me too long to get home seeing as I got a late start.

I took a nice drive on Sunday to meet friends for lunch in Cornwall...all back roads without traffic.

Monday and Tuesday evening after work in the short time till the sun sets, I've spent time detailing the engine compartment and rear lid/wing. That water-based degreaser I use works so well. The engine compartment looks new!

Back to the acquisition of your 993. Little did I know when I accidentally ran into the Porsche test track and development centre in Weissach (just west of Stuttgart) last summer while returning from my Alps motorcycle tour, that I'd be buying a Porsche, a car I have been waiting for, for 42 years.

Thanks for making this happen!

Last edited by IXLR8; 09-23-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on your Purchase Alex. I truly hope that she will be as good to you as she was to me. A truly stunning car which I will miss.

Welcome aboard and spend some time in the 993 section. There is a deep pool of knowledge to be shared there.

Al
Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

well theres a deep pool of SOMETHING over there ..... but all can be taken care of with your 2500.00 worth of diapers

Congrats Alex and welcome aboard ...
Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

hey wait .. it just occured to me we should be demanding pics of Alex's new ride .. he is a neub and it is tradition .... even if we have all seen his car before
Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats Alex,

That car looked like a really good buy judging from the ads and it sounds like it truly was.

I agree with Ice... we NEED pictures... How 'bout that freshly detailed engine compartment!!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clive man.... You crack me up.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:57 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Thank you all!

Pics will be up on my SmugMug site when I am done detailing...say in another week. To clarify, Albert's car was spotless....I'm just taking it a bit further as I am beyond help and a bit nuts. They are working on a cure.

For me, working on a vehicle, be it 2 or 4 wheels or a set of wings is great therapy. I'm thoroughly enjoying this and this purchase has been a great motivator, in fact, I laid down my crutches for the first time when I first viewed Albert's 993 on the Labour Day weekend.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:33 AM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

Congrats Albert, mine will be up for sale real soon going for a 993T =)
Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah i was wondering that .. how do you detail Al's car? you will have to post a pic of the Q tip you managed to somehow get dirty..

Quick Reply: MY 993 is SOLD!