Notices

Mosport today

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Mosport today

Wow. Just wow. What a phenomenal day. After getting drowned the last time I was there, mother nature made it up to me!

I've never driven my car that hard, but it seemed like it just kept asking for more! Hell, I was actually passing people today!

I picked up about 10 km/h on turn 8, and the car felt more stable at the higher speed than at lower speeds. Sweet! I was doing really well through 9 - my dad was following me in the 996TT for several laps, with the camera running, and couldn't keep up with me through the S's. I'll post a link to some video once it's up and edited. Turn 2 was nice and fast. But the real highlight of the day came in turn 3. I picked up a TON of speed through here, and discovered throttle oversteer. Holy **** is it fun! I'd approach the apex very hot (at least by my standards) and crank the wheel just a tiny, tiny bit, to really load the suspension. Then off the throttle. The back end would step out, and I'd let it go for maybe half a second, then roll back on the throttle to catch it. So much fun! It's not really the fastest way through that corner, but it sure is fun!

I really found another level of my car that I didn't know it had. And partially by accident. I had a pretty bad take at turn 2 in the mid afternoon - too hot and subsequently a bit wide, but the car was absolutely fine.

First day in a very long time without a single incident. One spin, but only 180* and no damage. He turned around and got right back on the track.

After 2 short morning sessions of 5-7 laps each, I reset my trip meter, and by the end of the day, it was at 366km. One lap is 3.9km, so I did well over 100 laps today! And at about 2 min. per lap (1:45 of which is spent on the back straight, or so it would seem!) that's over 200 minutes of driving - about 3 1/2 hours.

I so can't wait for my next track day...
Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, it was a perfect day!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 393 Posts

wish I was there.
great to hear you had fun.
neither of my cars are track ready right now...911 needs new tires and 951 sway bar bushing...both should be corrected in next couple weeks.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:14 AM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect day today. Everything was right. I had a sore arm giving point-by to a white GT2 and race-prep cars. I think we had more race cars than street cars.

Also, my first time I am on track at the same time with Ernie in his Cayman. Great time!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:48 AM
Ant118
8th Gear

I was there on the 4th. Seem's that everyone has been improving at mosport. Wonder if anyone from here was there?
Old 08-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by webbie
Perfect day today. Everything was right. I had a sore arm giving point-by to a white GT2 and race-prep cars. I think we had more race cars than street cars.

Also, my first time I am on track at the same time with Ernie in his Cayman. Great time!
It's was all great fun!!

Did you get any good videos?
By the way what kind of camcorder do you use?

Robert in the street Z06.....1.29.4

There is going to be an adjustment next time for the Advance drivers and or race cars to run together and split them from the slower groups.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM
Sputter
Pro

It sounds like you had a hellva day man.

Originally Posted by Christien
Wow. Just wow. What a phenomenal day. After getting drowned the last time I was there, mother nature made it up to me!

I've never driven my car that hard, but it seemed like it just kept asking for more! Hell, I was actually passing people today!

I picked up about 10 km/h on turn 8, and the car felt more stable at the higher speed than at lower speeds. Sweet! I was doing really well through 9 - my dad was following me in the 996TT for several laps, with the camera running, and couldn't keep up with me through the S's. I'll post a link to some video once it's up and edited. Turn 2 was nice and fast. But the real highlight of the day came in turn 3. I picked up a TON of speed through here, and discovered throttle oversteer. Holy **** is it fun! I'd approach the apex very hot (at least by my standards) and crank the wheel just a tiny, tiny bit, to really load the suspension. Then off the throttle. The back end would step out, and I'd let it go for maybe half a second, then roll back on the throttle to catch it. So much fun! It's not really the fastest way through that corner, but it sure is fun!

I really found another level of my car that I didn't know it had. And partially by accident. I had a pretty bad take at turn 2 in the mid afternoon - too hot and subsequently a bit wide, but the car was absolutely fine.

First day in a very long time without a single incident. One spin, but only 180* and no damage. He turned around and got right back on the track.

After 2 short morning sessions of 5-7 laps each, I reset my trip meter, and by the end of the day, it was at 366km. One lap is 3.9km, so I did well over 100 laps today! And at about 2 min. per lap (1:45 of which is spent on the back straight, or so it would seem!) that's over 200 minutes of driving - about 3 1/2 hours.

I so can't wait for my next track day...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by Z06
There is going to be an adjustment next time for the Advance drivers and or race cars to run together and split them from the slower groups.
That was a bit a of a problem - I got passed 3 times without having giving a signal, twice by the same guy. Once was safe, end of the straight and he was way off line, but the other two times were very unsafe - I was passing someone else, and he passed me at the same time. If I'd been a foot more to the right, he would have hit me.

I really hope they don't start run groups, though. I'd rather see the race cars tone it down - it *is* just a lapping day, after all. What I like about 6th Gear is the open track format. I like not having to worry about missing my run group because I'm doing something with the car, having a rest, whatever. I'd start driving with a different group if they do that.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 AM
webbie
Pro

z06, I am using Aiptek Action HD GVS. But these days, you can find any SD ram high-def named brand camcorders for under $400.

video coming soon.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 AM
webbie
Pro

I had an event last month teaching us late passing and open up more passing zone except 4,8,9,10. Point by is still required. It was fun.

Since we know pretty much everybody and the racers should be able to put their cars anywhere they want, we should give this format a try.

I love the open track format, please don't do run group.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Christien
Race Car

1 lap from inside my car, and a lap with my dad following me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_DgE1yxgA

Not my best laps, but one of the few where the camera actually held. Damn Red Green job with the zip tie mounting. I'm going out to buy a proper mount this week. I only ended up with maybe 5 or 6 full laps of video. I'm really pissed that the camera didn't get my "drifting" through 3!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Okay...I will talk with Rob and Marco about not having run groups...I like the open lapping as well.

When you see passing without a point by you have to do all of us a favour a let someone know.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Christien
Race Car

I did - I talked to DJ each time it happened. He said he'd speak to the drivers. Not sure if he passed it on to anyone else, though. I did send Rob and Alessandra an email this morning.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Perfect!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
993c4_Toronto
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow - that looks like sooo much fun. The video is excellent. I would like to get involved in taking my car to the track but I never have done any track driving before. What the best event/group to get connected with for this?

Thanks for posting the video - got me all excited to try that too.

Quick Reply: Mosport today