Notices

iPhone speed trap applications

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone speed trap applications

There are a number of applications available for speed traps, some of which work in Canada, but some only advise on fixed speed cameras. They work on GPS system.

I just downloaded NMobile: speed traps because the price was right (free), but there are lots of them.

Any experience with any of these applications?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

Jeff,
I'm curious to know too. I'm in Quebec right now, and it looks like the police here are getting as bad if not worse than Fantino's *****. You should see the way they stare me down everytime I go past them in the p-car...they'd probably write me up if I had a dirty windshield (not that my car is EVER dirty!).
Old 07-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

i have had great experiance with Montreal police... French seem/are much nicer than the Multi-Curtural-Racists-Young-Baller-Hatin ******* Cops here
Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts

Oh I dunno. Grew up in Mtl and I don't have too many fond memories of dealings with traffic cops. I'm in the Laurentians, so it's mostly the Provincial Sureté and the local money-grabbers that have been giving me the stink-eye.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Originally Posted by Zookie
i have had great experiance with Montreal police... French seem/are much nicer than the Multi-Curtural-Racists-Young-Baller-Hatin ******* Cops here
It's the parking nannies in Montreal which really get to me.

But, any experience with any iPhone speed trap apps?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Zookie, you're nuts. The Montreal police are the worst - they're faster to get out the riot gear than the LAPD!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Before i go off tangent:

TRAPSTER

Download it, use it, love it, thank me later

Originally Posted by Christien
Zookie, you're nuts. The Montreal police are the worst - they're faster to get out the riot gear than the LAPD!
+1 but there's good and bad bacon on both sides of the language barrier

Interesting thread this, i just finished reading a multi page article in this month's two wheels only mag which is a british publication. The head writers went for ride alongs with the London Metro blue's and the frank and open discussion and criticism from the cops about their own system was very interesting, certainly more frank than one could read about in our own mags.

One of the officers for instance...15 years experiance...was detailing why he did or did not pull such and such bike over.

Case 1: a street fightered R6 with a mini-number plate (seems some people run shrunk versions of their plates because british plates are huge), pollution controls removed and no mirrors. Clearly a bunch of small violations, but the officer noted that the individual was not speeding or weaving and was wearing full gear....noted that he was more than likely just a bike enthusiast who hated the ugly plate, and useless mirrors that are on a bike, and let him go on his merry way.

Case 2: A kid on a scooter with an L (learner badge on it) zipping thru alleyways. Gets flagged down because based on his experience kids don't bother getting the mandatory insurance for the scoots. pulls him over, checks paperwork...has none, scooter goes home on tow truck.

It's an interesting article that talks not only about how the London PD do their jobs vis a vis traffic infractions, but also collisions, what they would rather be doing, and why they think their superiors and politicians are daft.

If anyone wants to read it, i can scan it and post it up.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

About a year and a half ago, I downloaded all known speed traps and red light camera's for free and uploaded them to my TOMTOM GPS. People contribute to the database to keep it up to date. Ont he GPS it shows you both visibly and audibly when you are approaching a trap. It's only good, of course, for known speed traps.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
About a year and a half ago, I downloaded all known speed traps and red light camera's for free and uploaded them to my TOMTOM GPS. People contribute to the database to keep it up to date. Ont he GPS it shows you both visibly and audibly when you are approaching a trap. It's only good, of course, for known speed traps.
Yep. that's exactly how trapster functions as well. It overlays onto the google maps map and emitts a sort of sonar warning when u get close. customizable proximity, trap types, warning types etc...pretty handy if u keep ur iphone in ur breast pocket or have a dash mount for it so u can look at it whilst you drive.

Quick Reply: iPhone speed trap applications