Notices

Red Light Camera

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:07 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Red Light Camera

I tend to recall a time when there were lots of cameras in Toronto's intersections making pics of those running red lights. They've been taken down I think when Mike Harris became Premier. There are still such lights in Hamilton and I got a picture by mail. Truth be said I forced my way through the intersection, I accelerated hoping to get through (instead of braking), I could have tried to stop but would certainly have stopped in the middle of the intersection, I am no fool though and I looked before accelerating, there were no cars stopped on either side (one side actually as the street is one way) and this can be seen in the pictures I've got however I did cross the intersection on red and the pics are clear. The fine is $180 and on the ticket it says it wil not be reported and I will not get Demerit points. Have called a few paralegals in Hamilton, they all told me they do not deal with this type of offence. From what I've read such charges have been successfully challenged in court and this is one of the reasons the system was scrapped in Toronto. Anybody can provide some advice on what to say in my defence if I decide to dispute it and go to trial? many thanks

George
Old 06-12-2009, 10:14 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Hi George

I say pay it and be thankful you didn't get pulled over by a cop doing that . I would gladly swap you that for even a 15km 50 dollar speeding ticket.

Maike Harris scrapped photoradar but i don't think he scrapped red light cameras.
We have had one here in Cambridge forever and me and my son quite often sit and watch it go off and dusk.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:41 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey George

There are still many red light cameras in downtown Toronto. Clive's advice is sound. Take your lumps and thank your lucky stars that the Old Bill wasn't hanging around the intersection waiting to catch you in person. $180 is steep, but no demerit points or insurance report is a good thing IMHO.

Best regards.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:02 AM
george44
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, appreciate, yeah, sorry, I'm afraid I confused things, it was the photo radar Ice mentions that Mike Harris scrapped not the red light traffic cameras. Suffice it to say I was completelly absent minded at that time, my thoughts were somewhere very far, noticed the amber light very late and pressed the gas pedal hoping to make it through. But I did look to make sure there are no cars stopped!! OK, I'll pay the fine, move on and try to concentrate on driving while I am at the wheel.

George
Old 06-13-2009, 12:10 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

keep your eyes off the skirts and on the lights and you'll be fine ...
Old 06-13-2009, 12:39 AM
george44
Rennlist Member

Grrrr, well, I guess I deserve it, lesson learned

George
Old 06-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

thing about Red Light Camera, how can you prove that you were driving the car and not your friend...
Old 06-13-2009, 08:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

you can't . That ia why there is nothing against the driver such as points or recoed hits.. just the responsibility of the car owner .. try getting busted in a company car and see what happens

Quick Reply: Red Light Camera