Notices

Students not allowed to sing Oh Canada...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:30 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Students not allowed to sing Oh Canada...

A principal in a New Brunswick elementary school has kyboshed the singing of Oh Canada each day.

I saw this on CBC News...he wants all new students to feel welcome...whose parents didn't want their children to sing the anthem in the morning ceremonies.

WTF???!

I am PISSED...this a-hole needs a kick in the nuts.

Discuss.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

sad
Old 01-29-2009, 07:46 PM
911Rob
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah? It's Canada.
I don't get it?

What kind of idiots are these people?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

I just watched the interview with the principal...he claims it was part of a reform to make all students feel welcome at the school. Some parents who he would not name/discuss felt the singing of the anthem was unacceptable.

What a ****tard.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, this is pretty stupid. It sounds very American (no offense to our southern neighbours) - acting without thinking in blind political correctness. I mean, it's not like it's overly religious or political - what references there are to god aren't really religion-specific. I can't see anyone taking offense to it.

If I moved to [fill in the blank country - anywhere] I would expect my kids to sing that country's anthem every day at school. If the principal wanted to make my kids feel "included" by skipping that, I'd question his ability to run a school.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
If I moved to [fill in the blank country - anywhere] I would expect my kids to sing that country's anthem every day at school.
Having imigrated to Canada at an earlier age, I see both sides of this and I agree 100%. If the parents moved to Canada to take up citezenship then one must accept Country, flag, anthem and language; if they don't then why are they here.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Having imigrated to Canada at an earlier age, I see both sides of this and I agree 100%. If the parents moved to Canada to take up citezenship then one must accept Country, flag, anthem and language; if they don't then why are they here.
+1 but to go even further Mark, I don't see the two sides of it.

If you're just here temporarily visiting or have family here who isn't going to be a permanent resident, that's fine, you don't need to sing along. But to tell citizens that they can't sing their national anthem here is ridiculous.

Yankees don't sing our national anthem at the ACC and we don't sing theirs.

Frankly the issue should have never been brought up at all by the principle, well intentioned or not.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

If your here free loading of Canadian Tax payers and attending our schools, I expect you to sing along.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

this is absurd. this would never happen in the US the most patriotic country in the world. Canada is becoming a ***** nation. what is next? take away fighting from hockey?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
this would never happen in the US the most patriotic country in the world.
Actually, I'll bet it would. You're right, they're probably the most patriotic nation in the world, but I've read many stories of school boards hopelessly lost in political correctness. This reminds me of those stories.

edit: except in the states the rednecks would just get out their guns and yeehaw the principal out of town.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Personally I do not know the words to either canada or usa it's what's in the heart that counts. Just know I am FREE!!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Zeeman28a
Racer

Here's the article.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswi...ck-anthem.html

What next? No more anthem singing at hockey/basketball/football or other games?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:22 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The troubling aspect is this is coming from our (or that particular) school system, whose role is to teach and help shape young minds.
.... let's not be proud of / celebrate our country, in our country, because we might offend someone ... wtf!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

These people need to take their non motorcycle helmet wearing, anthemless, no-hardhat wearing asses back to where they came from. You got it hard here? How about going home. This is OUR home, you want to live here and reap the benfits of a modern, civilized society then you need to STFU and adapt. You can celebrate your religion and beliefs in the privacy of your home, but don't force us to bend over and take it up the wazoo.

For **** sakes I'm upset. I need to chill down.

This is RIGODDAMDICULOUS.

ps...I APPLAUDE those parents opposed to this, who have kids at this school, who are fighting this BS.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a first generation Canadian and my parents were adamant that we be the most passionate singers of the Canadian anthem in school. They wanted to ensure that we understood how lucky we are to live in this country and to show our appreciation by being respectful to Canadian traditions, while at the same time sharing our culture with our fellow Canadians.

When I think back to what my parents went through on their journey to Canada, I get teary-eyed when I hear our anthem sung with passion and determination. It may sound stupid to 5th or 6th generation Canadians, but if you've watched "The Last King of Scotland", you'll know what my parents faced and what they escaped.

Canada welcomed my parents and my two brothers with open arms and I'm proud to say that we're all productive members of society and have never taken a dime from the Canadian tax-payer (EI, etc.) When I have kids one day, I'm going to teach them the anthem as one part of the education they'll receive on how important Canada has been for our family's advancement.

Quick Reply: Students not allowed to sing Oh Canada...