The Hunt

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:18 PM
cmass
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Hunt

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a quite while since I started my search for my first P-Car. I decided that I would keep my current car as a winter beater and buy myself the car that I've always wanted.

I'm interested in a C4 964, but would also consider a G50 911 for the right price. Not looking for a garage queen by any stretch - I want a car to drive. The biggest problem is being based in Calgary, AB. I've been hunting around BC/AB through Kijiji / Craigslist, here on Rennlist and on Pelican. Can you guys think of any other sources? Autotrader has mostly dealer inventory. There's a couple in town at Envision but at over 30k, I suspect they are over priced in this market. Do you think I should hold off until the driving season starts up again? Lastly, anyone here imported an older vehicle? I'd love to buy from a Rennlister but most sellers are in the States ( and the Eastern part at that, so I would have to ship it, likely ).

Anyways, just wanted to write a bit of an introduction. I'll post pics when I finally pull the trigger, as per Rennlist rules . Hopefully in the summer I can make the trek out East for some epic cruises.

Cheers.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome! I see that you are already a rennlist member.

Here is one on the PCA UCR web site.

http://www.pcaucr.org/forum/post.jsp?postid=7998
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-2008, 03:49 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome! Good luck with the search and keep us informed.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:55 PM
cmass
AutoX

Hey, thanks. I never thought to check the Ontario-region PCA. I was looking at the BC/Wildrose PCA, and they're both fairly... quiet

I decided to get my Rennlist Membership early. Just lurking has provided a wealth of information about these cars and really helped me to decide what I was after.

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Welcome! I see that you are already a rennlist member.

Here is one on the PCA UCR web site.

http://www.pcaucr.org/forum/post.jsp?postid=7998
Old 11-04-2008, 03:57 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Well, for starters you should buy a book called 'The Used 911 story' By Peter Zimmerman. It will be worth it's weight in gold.

Secondly, definately look at cars in the US. If the car is older than 15 years it is very simple to bring over. Numerous writes ups on how to do it or if you have questions you can just PM me.

Lastly, be forewarned that the 964 C4 is a very very technically complex piece of machinery.

As for when to buy the car, start looking right away. Get a feel for what is a good deal and what is not. Also not that in the northern part of this continent as soon as the snow melts and it get warmer used sports car prices usually increase somewhat. Buying a car of this vintage will take a few months of searching and probably several PPIs.

Cheers and happy hunting!
-matt
Old 11-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Calgary based here too! I got my 964 from Toronto and shipped it back.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 PM
OttawaDave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

+1 on looking in the states - though the exchange rate is now a bit of a factor, but when old man neri and I bought our cars, we were pretty much at parity...

I found my car on cars.com

Good luck! I'd imagine there are a number of deals out there given the snow's about to start flying...
Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
cmass
AutoX

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I will expand my search to include US purchases. I've been looking since the middle of the summer. I'm hoping between the economy and the season something might come along before everyone locks their cars back in their garages.

My motivation for the C4 over others is just the ability to drive it more often around here, not to mention the creature comforts of the 964.

The hunt is certainly part of the fun...
Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Check out the c4 earlier on this thread. Lots of work done on it.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

If I were to buy one to drive year round I would be looking for a water cooled 911. simply the newer ones are better in snow and can handle the harsh winter. either way good luck!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cmass:
My 2 cents: I looked at 4 - C4's four years ago when I bought my Targa.
They were all white (had to have white) and not one of them was worth what they were asking.
One was from TO and had previously been written off. 2nd from Quebec and in a serious accident. (both sellers tried to hide that). 3rd had no history but a nice ride and 4th I could not justify the asking price.
I still have the VIN numbers somewhere around the house. Let me know if you want the VIN’s.
I don't recognize that particular C4 (wheels are different).
The old 964 porsche forum at smartgroups.com was where I started my investigation into the 964, and consensus was to go for the more reliable c2. And no complaints with my C2. Has been very reliable. What ever you do make sure you get if checked out by someone that knows the 964. I did and everything worked out for me.

Cheers
Walton
Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Jus t be aware Alex is a car flipper and uses the Marque to make money. I am not saying he is a bad guy, just know you are dealing with a flipper.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Jus t be aware Alex is a car flipper and uses the Marque to make money. I am not saying he is a bad guy, just know you are dealing with a flipper.
Alex who?

edit: never mind....... figured it out (the add)
Old 11-05-2008, 01:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

The guy selling the one on the PCA web site. I have known him for a few years, he buys them cheap, and flips em. He is a decent guy but not a long time owner.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM
cmass
AutoX

Yeah.
Not necessarily a bad thing, for the right car. GP White is the fast color though, right?

Originally Posted by theiceman
The guy selling the one on the PCA web site. I have known him for a few years, he buys them cheap, and flips em. He is a decent guy but not a long time owner.

Quick Reply: The Hunt