Any luck beating speeding tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I was going to wait until I get my court date in the mail.
I figure the more I procrastinate the better.
Any advice moving forward?
Can you ask for disclosure after you get the court date???
Old 11-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

I was told at court office that you can only ask for disclosure after the court date has been set. this seems silly, as it must be done in person.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I asked for mine when I went in to say I wanted to fight the ticket. I don't think it really matters when you ask for it. The point is that you are entitled to it. The longer you wait, the more chance you may have of the officer losing it. Just call the court and ask them if the are any restrictions to ordering it.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:33 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

The person at the court office was vey helpful. He was the one who told me I had 45 days to come in not the 14 it said on the ticket. He even wrote it on my form and told me to show it if he isn't working that day.
He must have a couple of tickets too.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys, ya I'm still around

I have a question about where you get some of your info....

PHP Code:
"The longer you wait, the more chance you may have of the officer losing it." 
I respectfully disagree with this and everyone should call bs...NOT to the poster but to the validity of such and thing. Urban legend stuff it is. An officers duty book is the property of the police service....you are required to keep it up to date and and current. As well it will be left at your detachment along with the last 3 yrs worth and these need to be accessible by your NCO. Things may be different in T.O, but don't hold your breath for this and the officer not showing .... I've said it before....court is part of the job, one must attend, you just can't play hookie with getting in big poop.

Well that is all for now, I hope this was clean enough and not offensive to anyone

Good luck guys

Brad
Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Along the lines of what Brad is saying, the police and courts are quite organized - does anyone actually get let off the hook due to not receiving their docs under a disclosure request? I can't imagine a) a cop losing his notes or b) the cop/force/court failing to copy them and mail them out, just because a request got lost in the shuffle. This is standard procedure stuff. That said, if you're fighting a ticket you still need to request it, because the info in the officer's notes will be invaluable - in fact, the entire case will rest on it.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Not offended at all, but I had a court case where I requested disclosure and did not recieve it. The case was dropped and I waited for the cop afterwards to talk to him. He reached out and shook my hand. He said to me and i can still hear his exact word "tell your friends that if they want to get off traffic tickets, they should always ask for diclosure. We lose it all the time."

As far as my comment about the longer you wait, the better chance they have of losing it, that is just wishful thinking with no scientific backing.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Christien
Race Car

Well I'll be damned. Guess you answered my question!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 AM
MY86Carrera
Racer

I guess clerical errors in an over-loaded court system could happen. unlikely but possible. You got a gift on that one - maybe you should pick the lottery numbers for your friends

Brad
Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BGregovski
I guess clerical errors in an over-loaded court system could happen. unlikely but possible. You got a gift on that one - maybe you should pick the lottery numbers for your friends

Brad
Hi Brad,

In my case, it was not a clerical error. The officer told me he could not find the notes on me and that this type of thing happens all the time (these were his words and his generalization based on his experince). That's very different from the notes being available, but never actually making it into my hands due to some clerical error. My guess is that if the notes are available, they will probably make it into my hands 9.9 times out of 10.

I am also not the only one that has been lucky enough to not receive disclosure out of my group of friends, so I think me winning the lottery is stoill a long shot...lol. Instead, I will save up those toonies so that I can afford to fight my next speeding ticket.

Justin
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Losing the notes or ......? would be great, but I'm not counting on it.
I just need to delay so my last ticket is off of the insurance records.
I'd gladly give them the $220 just to **** off!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Losing the notes or ......? would be great, but I'm not counting on it.
I just need to delay so my last ticket is off of the insurance records.
I'd gladly give them the $220 just to **** off!
I think everyone here would agree to pay speeding tickets at whatever price if it had no affect on insurance premiums. Maybe the Police should consider separating themselves from the insurance folks. They would make a hell of a lot more money and save on expenses as courtrooms would be empty.

Like all of you, I drive every day and very few people do not speed. So if we are all speeding, then why are only those who are caught penalized with increased insurance premiums. It is such a racket I can't tell you.

We should campaign over this and get every single ticketted person to fight their speeding ticket. The courts would be so jammed packed that they would be forced to rethink this entire process.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Maybe the Police should consider separating themselves from the insurance folks. They would make a hell of a lot more money and save on expenses as courtrooms would be empty.
Bingo - idea of the year.

We should campaign over this and get every single ticketted person to fight their speeding ticket. The courts would be so jammed packed that they would be forced to rethink this entire process.
Will never work - this country operates on the principal of lowest common denominator - the industry knows that enough (i.e. the majority of) people are too lazy and/or dumb to fight it.

Case in point: I got a parking ticket last week - literally 9 minutes over on my dash ticket - 12:17 it expired, ticket is timed at 12:26. $30. Complete BS. But with the City of Toronto you have to go in person to plead not guilty, which is also BS. So I either take a half day off work or higher pointts. Either way I'm spending $200 to fight a BS $30 ticket. Will I fight? Of course not.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

How about flipping it to the other extreme.
Cops take credit cards. You pay on the spot. Information is not shared with the insurance companies.
Could you imagine how fast we would drive?
Old 11-14-2008, 01:56 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Maybe the Police should consider separating themselves from the insurance folks.
Not really the idea of the year.....everyone has some distrust when it comes to the police....we (police) used to be seperate but police information is not really "police" information anymore. if you know what I mean.

And I hope we never go to paying on the spot ...I want NO part of accepting cash on the roadside. You all say we (police) have to much authority now with roadside seizure I could not immagine us (police) accepting money.

As for cops not being able to produce notes, all I can say is the Inspector and my detachment would not be to happy and you would only make that mistake once

So you are lucky.....

Anyway good luck in court.................

B

Last edited by MY86Carrera; 11-14-2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: piss poor spelling

Quick Reply: Any luck beating speeding tickets?