Notices

Garage floor pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Garage floor pictures.

Picked up the tiles this afternoon and once I got home I decided to plunge right into it. Took a grand total of about 2.5 hrs including having to cut some of the tiles. So easy to install; if you played with Lego as a kid, you're probably over qualified to install this! I'm not showing the back half of the garage in the pics, because that still needs to be organized and then in a week or two, I'll get more tiles to finish the job. I'll throw on some baseboards and trim the doors and windows along with a fresh coat of paint, and the "man cave" will be good to go.
Attached Images   
Old 10-03-2008, 08:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts

Very nice Phil
Old 10-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

That really looks sharp. 2 1/2 hours is pretty impressive for that dramatic of a makeover. Are they held down with some sort of adhesive? What was the total cost? (sorry if you mentioned this stuff in the other thread, I just skimmed it).

I sure hope whatever's holding those wheels on the wall is on well! I'd hate to see them come crashing down!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Christian,
no adhesive, it's a floating floor system so it can contract and expand with the different seasons. Racedeck, swisstrax, etc...are all basically the same. This system was a lot cheaper at 1.95 per tile and they're Canadian. Also like the fact that each tile has drainage cuts so water won't pool on top in the winter.
I've got a few spares that I'll throw in the trunk for the GTG and Dunnville.
Wheels are held on very securely. They're on special wheel hangers that I got from Griot's Garage in the US. They're lag bolted onto the 2x6 wall studs.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Where does the water runoff go? Is there enough room for it to evaporate? I'd hate to think of it just sitting there rotting into the concrete.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:30 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

yeah there's room. Each tile sits on a network of little legs...easier to see it when I bring them. The cement floor slopes towards the door anyway, it's just messy in winter waiting for it to run or evaporate away.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil, what are the tiles constructed of? Are they 12"x12".

Jim
Old 10-04-2008, 09:43 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Jim,
they're made of polypropylene. And, yes they are 12 x 12. Here's the link: http://www.fastflor.com/garage_tile
Old 10-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great. I was thinking of painting my floor (a mere 8 years! after moving in) but these look way better.

Any sense of how they'd hold up in a more "workshop" type enviroment? I tend to do a lot of work on my car myself - and tend to spill/leak fluids all the time. (From the car - not from me) ; )

RK
Old 10-04-2008, 02:55 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

RK,
there are a few pics in their photo gallery that look more shop-like with lifts and stuff. The only caution I've seen with these types of products is when using jack stands. They recommend using a small (1sq ft) flat steel plate under the 3 or 4 legs to spread the load evenly and avoid a puncture. I think it will hold up way better to oil and spills than the bare concrete.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:18 PM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Phil! I was skeptical of the multi-colour design but it looks nice. Where's the new tool box?!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:04 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

The new toolbox is in the back of the garage (which isn't ready for prime time yet!). This is a crappy cellphone pic of the same unit at Costco. I'll post pics once it's all organized with the tools...so Clive can poke fun at my redundant set-up for changing air filters and wiper blades!
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2008, 09:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts

as long as you take the stickers off were cool !!!

don't forget to take advantage of some sales this weekend.

actually .... I hav a stainless steel one and still have all the covering plastic still on it after 2 years ...
Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
Looks great. I was thinking of painting my floor (a mere 8 years! after moving in) but these look way better.

Any sense of how they'd hold up in a more "workshop" type enviroment? I tend to do a lot of work on my car myself - and tend to spill/leak fluids all the time. (From the car - not from me) ; )

RK
RK,
since you do so much work on the rally cars, might be worth looking into layering down some shop epoxy. I can't imagine it would cost TOO much since a garage is much smaller than a proper shop, but it would be indestructible short of dropping a motor from 10 feet onto it and they will be warrantied for a good long time.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

looks great. how many tiles did you use? looks like you could fit another car in there.
be careful if those tires are rcompound as they cannot be exposed to low temperatures.

Quick Reply: Garage floor pictures.