Notices

Short Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:18 PM
akw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Short Shifter Install

Hey - any of the Sherway Gardens crew have experience installing short shifters?

I bought one and don't have the faciliites in the condo underground parking or the guts/***** to install it myself.

I could take it to a dealer but this is probably one of the only mods that is simple enough that I could attempt it with some help.

I was wondering if anyone might be willing/able to help me out.

Adam

'08 C4S - Slate Grey
Old 08-28-2008, 09:28 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Adam:

I've got no experience with this but I found a couple of threads for you. Did you order the B&M shifter or the factory Porsche one? By all accounts anything other than the factory kit requires you to make some modifications. The Porshce one, although more $$ is a straight drop in. A project like this would be just the excuse I'd need to buy some new tools for the job!

Good luck,

Cliff

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=short+shifter

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=short+shifter

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/180906-shift-kits-b-and-b-vs-oem.html
Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

If it is not the factory piece I wouldn't install it. You'll potentially have trouble with the tranny down the road that will result in warranty claims being refused by PCCL.

Been der' done dat.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:09 PM
akw
Racer

Hey Cliff - It's a B&M short shifter from bumper plugs.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
akw
Racer

I'm sensing a story here - what happened.

Originally Posted by YYC930
If it is not the factory piece I wouldn't install it. You'll potentially have trouble with the tranny down the road that will result in warranty claims being refused by PCCL.

Been der' done dat.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:00 AM
topspd
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

I posted in that second link above and referenced another link with some more info. I've swapped mine, but used the OEM unit to avoid warranty problems and to allow for easy reversal. It's not difficult, but is time consuming the first time if you don't want to scratch things/lose screws/etc. You could easily do it in a parking garage if you had enough light and the right tools. The only thing I can't help with is the B&M requirement to break the OEM cradle to install their shifter.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:23 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I had Pfaff tuning install mine. It's about an hour for the install.

Mine is a B&M. I can't see it doing any more damage to the tranny as any other shifter, it's the driver that screws up shifts not the shifter.

Btw B&M makes the OEM shifter, they are the same thing just different colors and packaging.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:39 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Adam,
I think that B&M supplies the SSK units for the Porsche factory units. The B&M is significantly cheaper because it requires re-using the cradle from the OE unit. Once it's installed, there won't be any difference in feel between the units. FYI: mine is factory and Greg's is B&M and I'm wiling to bet that they're identical in feel.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I had Pfaff tuning install mine. It's about an hour for the install.
$100 well spent IMO ... particularly so for a new '08.

I had Pfaff, the dealership, install mine a couple of years ago when the car was in for service. They were about the same price for the install, although I had their shifter installed.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:51 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

akw.....

I have two 996 clients who installed aftermarket short shifter kits (brand unknown) sometime ago. I have also heard of a third who is not my client.

All 3 had second gear problems down the road, and warranty claims were denied. Whether or not it is the driver's fault, or the shifters, or no one's.......quite frankly it was really quite irrelevant when dealing with PCNA (which is now PCCL for us Canucks) on this issue......their claims were denied outright.

Not speaking as to what the future holds, just telling you what happened in the past from first hand experience. An aftermarket DIY short shifter install will get your warranty refused each and ever time, regardless of how good you are at installing it or shifting IMHO.

Price out a transmission rebuild or replacement first......against the difference of the dealer installing the OEM short shifter kit.....and your aftermarket DIY install. It ain't worth it.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Mine is a B&M. I can't see it doing any more damage to the tranny as any other shifter, it's the driver that screws up shifts not the shifter.
I can only speak to the 915 transmissions of 65-87 911s, but as far as I know, the basic mechanisms of all shifters and transmissions is the same. So long as short-shifter shifting is compensated for by the driver, there theoretically *shouldn't* be any added wear and tear on the tranny. The problem is that usually the driver doesn't then go easier on the shifting.

Your gear shift selector is attached to a rod that enters the tranny which moves forward and back and rotates side to side, actuating a tab on that rod which then aligns with indentations on the various gear stacks inside the transmission, which then moves those gear stacks up or down to engage gears on the output shaft. So the motion of the input rod from the shift selector must always remain constant. When you install a short shifter, which in essence only changes the fulcrum of the lever that is the gear shift selector, you are suddenly applying more force to the selector rod, if you move the gear shift with the same force. That simply means more wear and tear on the tranny.

So if you do shift gently (use just the tips of your fingers, rather than ham-fisting it) your tranny and selector rod should suffer no undue wear.

Here's an excellent article, which is where I started when I rebuilt my tranny:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm
Old 08-29-2008, 12:14 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

No problems here with a B&M short shifter on a C2S with 36,000km installed when brand new

Quick Reply: Short Shifter Install