Notices

Hockey Night in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:00 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Hockey Night in Canada

Everyone knows that the CBC (stupidly) sold the famous Hockey Night in Canada theme song to another network right? Well now they're scrambling to replace the theme song and have come up with a contest to choose it. There have been tons of entries so far, some good, some lame, but I wasn't really paying attention until my father stepped up to the plate and composed his own! He's a huge hockey fan and has been involved in music forever so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that he composed an entry, it's just that it's pretty darn good! I hope some of that creativity worked its way into me. Anyway, the more hits his entry gets the better so do me a favour and follow the link below and give the song a listen!

http://anthemchallenge.cbc.ca:80/med...il/296018%3C/a

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go HABS!

edit--I followed the link, nice tune man.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:26 PM
RyeHigh
Buns Up
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nah...doesn't do anything for me...sorry.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by exc911ence
Everyone knows that the CBC (stupidly) sold the famous Hockey Night in Canada theme song to another network right?
Well, they didn't sell it to another network, another network bought the rights from the author. He never liked the CBC and kept on wanting more money. Something like 2 million. Any decision the CBC was going to take would have upset someone. If they paid every non-hockey fan would be pissed at a crown corporation pissing away that kind of money and if they sold it the hockey fans would be somewhat upset. Apparently the relationship between the author and the CBC was never a good one.

-matt
Old 08-19-2008, 04:53 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....wasn't the composer a woman?

I think CBC really f'ed up on this one. What a bunch of *********.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, the contest is heating up. Chris, are you going to toss your hat in the ring?

So, here's another entry:
http://anthemchallenge.cbc.ca/mediad...tus=1&offset=5

Check it out, if you like it, don't hesitate to vote. My son really needs a P-car of his very own.

Thanks
Bill
Old 08-20-2008, 09:23 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Bill, my words exactly. Go Chris Go.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I have indeed thought about it, either composing a quasi-symphonic version or maybe doing something with the rock band. Thing is, as an "art music" composer, I'm pretty pissed at the CBC right now, and I don't really relish the thought of contributing to their "oops, we f*^ked up, please save our ***!" campaign. Allowing the rights to Delores Claiborn's HNIC theme slip away for a measly million bucks was just asinine. It looked damn good on them when CTV stepped up immediately and paid for it. The bureaucratic assclowns currently at the top of CBC make Harper's and McGuinty's gov't look like a sleek, well-oiled machine. Even after Harper goes and does something like this:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rtainment/home

rant over. I need a drink.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

This too:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Entertainment/
Old 08-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, Chris, I sure am with you about the cutback in funding for the arts. It is, however, consistent with the conservative/republican stance of trashing anything remotely intellectual or thought-provoking...it might cause people to start to wonder about the mindless dogma they just keep repeating as received wisdom/"common sense." Another example...tax credits for kids involved in hockey (I have no problem with this), but not for pursuits like piano lessons.

Flames on!!!

Quick Reply: Hockey Night in Canada