Notices

OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 12:21 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine hit a deer head-on just south of Huntsville on #11 last week .... $20,000+ damage to his MB CLS500. He was travelling the speed limit +/- 10 kph .... didn't help.
Watch #11 up that way, heavily patrolled with lots of radar
Old 08-12-2008, 04:22 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been on the autobahn in Germay and the 407 is a far superior highway at any speed. To bad they dont offer some high speed lanes and times.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sure as hell wouldn't want to hit a deer at 250 KPH dude....especially on a bike. Last fall a cop hit a deer nearby and it nearly took his head off....closed casket.

I would NOT run high speeds up north at all this year...the mosquitoes are driving the deer out of the woods for relief and they are everywhere.

In the fall the deer get into the "rut" and wander around with hard-ons onto the highways too.

In my neck-of-the-woods they had 7 car-deer hits before lunch one day last fall.

Oh, and watch out during hunting season too...the hunters like to "push" the deer towards waiting guns and they freak out and run, and run, and run....
Old 08-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

The hitting a dear at "x" kms an hour is a red herring. If he'd been going 10km's FASTER - he'd have passed the deer long before it stepped onto the road.

There are apparently a couple of cases working thier way through the courts that will challenge the appropriateness of the "50 over" law. Note that the law includes a broad range of transgrssions, racing away from a stop light, blocking another car in any way etc. But those never seem to get enforced - 150 over is easy and "appears" to help. It doesn't...

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/speedlimits.html

Check out the prominently featured CANADIAN research - "speeding" is SAFE!

RK
Old 08-23-2008, 10:04 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
The hitting a dear at "x" kms an hour is a red herring. If he'd been going 10km's FASTER - he'd have passed the deer long before it stepped onto the road.
The deer I hit (1983) was running full tilt down a treed (obscured) laneway & directly across the road. 7 AM in the morning & I was cruising about 70 mph on Hwy 7 near 35. All I saw was a brown blur & bang. Deer died. Car died. $3K damage. It was a Chev Malibu wagon so the deer bounced off to the left. A smaller car & I wouldn't be typing this. As it was, I had a sore arm from gripping the steering wheel.

You don't want to mess with the larger wildlife.

Ian
Old 08-23-2008, 01:45 PM
turboGary
Racer

Ya, it would be the end if you hit a deer. Wouldn't feel a thing....

I saw a black convertable Corvette on the 404 this week with an OPP and a tow truck on my way to work about 2pm.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
Note that the law includes a broad range of transgrssions, racing away from a stop light, blocking another car in any way etc. But those never seem to get enforced - 150 over is easy and "appears" to help.
Not necessarily true. See my post here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...32#post5716832
Old 08-30-2008, 09:54 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Again.....the 407 is the Best place , you just have to know where.Pick you place and times and all is well.Those who know know...
Where is the best stretch? I treated my K&N cone filter this afternoon and I want to see if the difference means that I can break 260 lol.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:56 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kilrgt
Again.....the 407 is the Best place , you just have to know where.Pick you place and times and all is well.Those who know know...
Yesterday, holiday Monday, about 11:30 a.m. e/b would not have been one of those times.

Very light traffic going both directions, but hardly any e/b ... perfect opportunity for them. One cruiser tucked behind a wall with the radar, farther down the 407 hiding up on the ramp where it is very difficult to see them, 3 more cruisers ready to swoop down to bag their catch ... the give away was the 3 tow trucks on the side of the 407 and part way up the ramp. Looks like it's become a sport to them ... kinda like fishing in the stocked trout pond.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
Yesterday, holiday Monday, about 11:30 a.m. e/b would not have been one of those times.

Very light traffic going both directions, but hardly any e/b ... perfect opportunity for them. One cruiser tucked behind a wall with the radar, farther down the 407 hiding up on the ramp where it is very difficult to see them, 3 more cruisers ready to swoop down to bag their catch ... the give away was the 3 tow trucks on the side of the 407 and part way up the ramp. Looks like it's become a sport to them ... kinda like fishing in the stocked trout pond.
I guess they got a head start yesterday... this morning on the radio they announced a that a safe driving blitz was on for today and the maybe the rest of the week.
Be careful out there1
Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

last tally 115 cars over the weekend doing over 50kph
there is a cool quarter mill to keep fantinos plane in the sky
Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peritus
Where is the best stretch? I treated my K&N cone filter this afternoon and I want to see if the difference means that I can break 260 lol.
lol..honestly guys..it can't be hard to round up 2 buddies...place them at either end of a section of highway, do a back and forth recon for cops and then cain it at rediculous speeds.

fail to plan, plan to fail...we're all mental cases here...i don't think we'd be hardpressed to find 2 additional people to help us break an arbitrary and unjust law
Old 09-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly this has been a bad week... every day I see someone pulled over getting a ticket. One of the Doctors my wife works with just got his 3rd speeding ticket within the month driving his S6 and with a new Audi R8 arriving in October... needless to say he is fighting everyone of 'em.

REMINDER for everyone to be vigalent this weekend, hopefully by Monday the safety blitz will be at an end.

Quick Reply: OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!