Notices

OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

we have seen some our share of major police corruption right here recently in TO.
If police were only concerned with saving lives they would focus more on guns and gangs which account for most of the murders in this city. It is a joke that they think they are saving lives with this street racing law...it is a cash grab.
worse is the way that some of the slower drivers are driving now on the streets doing 90 km/h on 400 series highways in the left lane thinking they have the right to block others...thus causing a much more unsafe environment.
my rant is over. for the record I don't speed this summer, it is not worth it, I also have other ways of having fun.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The part that drives me crazy is the broad scope of the law.
I recently got nailed for doing 90 in a 50 zone (construction)
There was no construction and it was an new construction area where no work had even begun.
I was going 3Km faster than the guy beside me, behind me, and ahead of me. (I was in Quebec with Ontario plates).
I'm the first one to slow way down and give workers a wide berth.
Still, the law is there, and so were the signs, so.....GUILTY!
My take on the situation has no bearing on it.
There's no room in the law for the inclusion or exclusion of common sense.
Why, because 90% of drivers in North America don't have any!

My opinion.....
My Porsche going 150 Kph on an open road is much safer and carries much less destructive force than a tractor trailer going 100 Kph in heavy traffic.
As long as I'm not weaving my way through traffic, driving like an idiot, or flying down a rain soaked highway, I'm presenting very little danger to myself or others.
None of this matters though.
The laws in North America cannot afford differentiate between one situation and another.
We are legislating common sense to the lowest common denominator.
Laws are in place to protect the public from stupid people.
The problem is that stupid is a sliding scale. I don't think I'm stupid, but my spouse sometimes thinks I am, Hmmmmmm........
Although, I have to say I am comfortable in the knowledge that I can legally sail down the 401 collector lanes at 5:00pm in a snow storm at 100Kph, and so can everyone else.
Doesn't mean I should, but legally I can.

In Europe they deal with the situation accordingly.
Stupid behavior results in penalties.
If you have a capable car, and are not being an idiot, then you're golden.
If you are presenting a danger to others, then you get nailed.
This is left up to the Police.
They ARE the judge and jury, and as long as they are fair and reasonable in their assessment, there isn't a problem.

Ontario has clearly identified a problem, and is targeting a particular behavior. Reckless driving.
The issue is the definition of what is reckless.
30 major accidents on the first day of snow each year is considered acceptable. These people were simply unfortunate victims of weather conditions. It certainly cannot be attributed to recklessness.
150 Kph is clearly reckless.
In fact, both are.
Just one is being enforced and the other isn't.

On another note.
If I had my way, people who drive in the left lane, passing at .0025 Km faster than the car they are overtaking would be the first to go!
I have never seen anyone get a ticket for driving slow in the passing lane.
There are signs that say "Keep right except to pass"
There are also signs that say "Maximum 100Km"
Disobeying one results in fines, while nobody gives a rat's *** about the other.
How many of you have had the pleasure of driving for 30 Kilometers on the 401 behind a pair of trucks hogging both lanes? (but that's the topic of a whole other rant)

Whew, now I feel better.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE

Perhaps the impounding of cars should be left to those caught actually racing each other. (those street racing punks) That punishment would fit that crime, IMO:[/QUOTE]

Street racing is intolerable, agree 100%. And that was the rationale the public was given by Fatino and McSquinty for introducing this law.

But of the thousands of people charged under this law, how many were actually racing each other? I'm sure there must have been some, but so far I haven't heard of any. Anyone else?
Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 AM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was with Paul today car is in the garage and all is well so wasnt him.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

Well at least out local crew is safe for now ..
Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys....It wasn't me,truth is I wouldn't have stopped.The 407 is the Best place to do my high speed runs.... and I do a few just not on that part of the 407. I have heard they want to make the " Racing law" to only 30 over.I drive only 2 ways....118 K on cruise control, or ***** out and looking to beat my personal previous speed record.We have to be so much better at picking our times and place now...
Old 08-08-2008, 09:24 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Paul summer is almost over am I going to hear from U?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:34 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the 407 is the worst place to speed. I take it every day and it's littered with radar traps.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 773 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by peritus
I think the 407 is the worst place to speed. I take it every day and it's littered with radar traps.
Saw a blue M3 getting loaded up last evening on the Western end of the 407. ******.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:47 PM
PALETTE
Racer

hey Paul is the 118 your personal best?? LOL just thought i would stick that to you!! them Wings were good!! Farmers Daughter!!
Old 08-10-2008, 12:46 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Speaking of, where is Devon .....Now she is a " Farmers Daughter"
Old 08-10-2008, 12:49 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Again.....the 407 is the Best place , you just have to know where.Pick you place and times and all is well.Those who know know...

Originally Posted by peritus
Old 08-10-2008, 01:24 AM
PALETTE
Racer

doing the 407 run tonight?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

I think it's safe to say that we all speed to some extent on the 407 but using the 407 for "***** out high speed runs" IMO is asking for trouble the speed difference in a P-car is far too great compared to even normal 407 traffic speeds...if you need to do that level of speeding take it to the track. I hate to be the odd man out but someone has got to say some thing.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM
turboGary
Racer

Sorry but I also have to dissagree with the 407 for speed. I go up north. You can do 500km round trip and see maybe two cops. 118, 507, 3, there's tons of great roads up there with very little policing. You have to watch out for deer more than anything but even that isn't much of a threat. I've gone right past the OPP station on 507 at 250km/h on my bike without even blinking.... they are seldom around.

Go ahead flame on

Quick Reply: OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!