Notices

OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny....

I heard about the 2 Lambo's from 2 other people already.....poor bastards....(perhaps more accurately - unfortunate wealthy bastards....lol).

I came home on the 401 Saturday night at 2am.....westbound from Port Union to Thickson.....had an OPP shadowing me all the way, about 10 car lengths back.....I just kept it at 115 (by gps)....funny thing is, I didn't know he was there until I was getting off and he wicked it up and I saw him as I exited.....just waiting for me to let the car go I guess.....sorry to disappoint him.....

Getting ridiculous out there.

Mark
Old 07-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Nape75'911T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you guys download....

episode 5 of Top Gear? The Nissan GTR.......regulated in Japan to 112kph or something silly, but via GPS it knows when it has been driven to the track, and all the restrictors are automatically disabled for track use.......it's coming......if they really don't want us to speed, why can vehicles all go so fast?

George Orwell was just a little to early, thats all.....call it 2024, not 1984.....
Old 07-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nape75'911T
episode 5 of Top Gear? The Nissan GTR.......regulated in Japan to 112kph or something silly, but via GPS it knows when it has been driven to the track, and all the restrictors are automatically disabled for track use.......it's coming......if they really don't want us to speed, why can vehicles all go so fast?

George Orwell was just a little to early, thats all.....call it 2024, not 1984.....
Wow. But you know, that kind of makes sense - it's hard to argue with that. But then, what happens when a new track opens? GPS map data is horrendously outdated. We've had a new 4-lane expressway open here in Hamilton for almost a year, but do you think it's shown up on any map? My Garmin thinks I'm offroading
Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Holy Crap another one ...
I was northbound on the 400 and by the Tim hortons just north of the 401 looked like a GT3 type bodywork. It was that orangy rust colour, had a black hood, unfortunately looked like he was getting a major ticket too. nice car thou
Old 07-30-2008, 10:46 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

... they're on a mission.

The other night, n/b off-ramp on the 400, two tow trucks on one side of the ramp and a couple of cruisers on the other side, all with their lights on ... like running a gaunlet trying to exit the highway. Often see 2 and 3 cruisers pulling over one car. Talk about intimidating the public, welcome to Ontario, it's like a military state out there ... very nice!?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
I just behave and avoid it all together, I can still enjoy my 911 with out going super fast. I get my kicks elsewhere these days.
Someone with common sense. If you have to drive at breakneck speeds...go to a track or dragstrip. No wonder the police have resorted to this new racing law...it ain't a cash grab guys. The police are sick and tired of people losing control and killing innocent people on the city streets. Plain and simple.

I can't believe guys who pay $80-150K for their "toys" are whining about a $300 track fee. Doesn't make any sense to me.

ps...see AM993's hread about private lapping day Sept 17th.

Last edited by harrisonrick; 07-31-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Christien
Race Car

Rick, while I agree with the premise of what you're saying (ludicrously fast speeds have no place on public roads, take it to the track), that's not the problem with this 150+ law. The problem is that it puts the role of judge into that of the police officer and takes away the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. The sentence is handed out right there at the side of the road, completely bypassing due process. I can't see how a charter challenge of this law could possibly fail.

Furthermore, there's ample evidence that speeding does not increase accidents and injuries (eg. most of Europe has 120-130 km/h limits on major highways, with drastically lower accident, injury and fatality rates than Canada/USA). There's also no evidence to suggest that increased speeding enforcement lowers accident rates. Which leads most of us to believe that tickets are a cash cow. The real solution lies, IMO, in 2 places: 1. better driver training (which is expensive and difficult to institute) and 2. better driver safety/awareness on the road (i.e. less cellphones, coffee, etc. and more attention and better driving skills, which is difficult to enforce). It's just easier for the police to hand out speeding tickets, and it makes them more money. Like other facets of the gov't, it's all about the pretense of impact, rather than actually having an impact.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Christien...I agree with you... our speed limits are too low on most major highways.

Until that changes, driving 50+ is breaking the law and driving excessively in the eyes of the law.

Everyone should know the risks by now, so if you are dumb enough to break the speed limit by 50+ then you are taking your chances.

On the 401 thru the GTA to Ottawa, I usually cruise at 130 KMPH...I find at that speed I'm not attracting too much attention, I pass most cars and keep ahead. There's always someone who blasts by you no matter what speed you are travelling at.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Christien
Race Car

Agreed.

You go 130? With no worries? Man, you've got more cajones than I do! I usually set the cruise at about 118, unless I'm in an area where I know the speed traps and can see them from a long way away (i.e. 403 west of Hamilton). It may be an unfair police state out there, but I'm not going to let them have any more of my money!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:15 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Once you are out of the GTA/Hamilton, its pretty safe. I am damn good at spotting the cruisers, and so is my wife.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I was just in France and with the 130 km/h speed limit, everyone drives much, much better than here. I occasionally cranked it up to 180km/h when the roads were clear and being very mindful of the photo radar cams everywhere. The drivers are much more competent there, because the training and licensing process is tougher.
Here it seems like the gov makes driver training and licensing ridiculously easy to justify having to keep the speed limits artificially low because the average drivers aren't skilled enough AND as a source of ticket revenue. Catch 22, isn't it?
Anyone who sincerely believes that 100 km/h limits are plenty fast on restricted access highways like the 400-series is either a) lying b) working for Fantino c) a very incompetent driver d) doesn't belong on a Porsche forum , or e) all of the above!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:03 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

I think a revision of the speed limits is required.

400 series 120 KMPH.
open highways 100 KMPH.

50 over these speeds would warrant the new "stunt driving" laws.

Sound about right?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:28 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
I think a revision of the speed limits is required.

400 series 120 KMPH.
open highways 100 KMPH.

50 over these speeds would warrant the new "stunt driving" laws.

Sound about right?
No, there is no excuse to have the Police act as judge and jury on the side on the road.
They can ticket for 50 over and set fines but you still deserve your day in court.
Also I think they need to prove your speed in todays world of technology they can do this easily but they aren't.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Also I think they need to prove your speed in todays world of technology they can do this easily but they aren't.
Agreed. With the amount of corruption we've seen in police forces over the last several years (though admittedly mostly american) the officer's word should not be taken in court. In fact, I can't see why we should require a printout from the laser/radar unit, including photo of the car with the speed printed right on it. It couldn't possibly cost that much - that's how red light cameras work, 407, etc. Then there's proof-positive.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Christien
Agreed. With the amount of corruption we've seen in police forces over the last several years (though admittedly mostly american) the officer's word should not be taken in court. In fact, I can't see why we should require a printout from the laser/radar unit, including photo of the car with the speed printed right on it. It couldn't possibly cost that much - that's how red light cameras work, 407, etc. Then there's proof-positive.
That's a good idea.

Perhaps the impounding of cars should be left to those caught actually racing each other. (those street racing punks) That punishment would fit that crime, IMO.

The more I read about this law, the more I don't agree with it. Sheesh...

Quick Reply: OHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!