Notices

Need some guidance...afte winter storage, dead battery.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some guidance...afte winter storage, dead battery.....

Cross posted in the 986 forum.... I thought folks here may have the best experience with stored cars....

Ok, I am very frustrated right now.

Today, I was going to take my Boxster 2002 S out for the first time the season. I pull off the cover, take out the blocks out from behind the over inflated tires, unplug the (Porsche) battery maintainer... and with keys in my anxious hands, I turn the key and..... NOTHING.

No lights on the dash. Nothing. The battery is obviosly dead. I check the overpriced OEM battery maintainer... and it's pilot light is dark.

My guess is that the battery maintainer is dead. And being a good boy, I resisted the temptation to fuss constantly over the car during it's winter hibernation.

Luckily I kept the front and rear trunk open over the loooong winter.

What is the next step?

I suppose I have to change the battery as it must have had at least 6 weeks on non-activity.

-what about the radio
-windows and other electrics.

I have no other battery equipement at home, but i will buy what I need.

What are my next steps?

I am sooo pissed at myself..... I thought I did everything right this past winter........

Share, please...
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'd just go buy a $40 battery charger at CT, charge the battery overnight, and start it up.
I think you will find things will be OK.
Once it is running, you can always have your service place check the battery.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 397 Posts

was it stored in subzero temp. if so battery is probably toast. if not either use battery charger or boost. radio should have code in manual, or radio code card. everything else should be fine.
good luck
Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Sound like a good excuse for a nice long drive to charge it up! I'd just boost it and go for 20+ min. drive to charge - it should be fine. If it's the original battery, it might not hold the charge though, so park where you can boost again.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

The garage is heated.

I will pull the battery, bring it a shop, check it's life...and just bite the bullet. Methinks.

Bugger.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a bettery charger called a CTEK. It is computer controlled and they have said that batteries that were dead and could not be charged by traditional charges were brought back to life using it. This is what I used on my cars all winter. I would suggest looking into it. I have the 3300.

http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Buy-US-Charger.aspx
Old 04-15-2008, 11:35 PM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Sound like a good excuse for a nice long drive to charge it up! I'd just boost it and go for 20+ min. drive to charge - it should be fine. If it's the original battery, it might not hold the charge though, so park where you can boost again.
Save yourself the money and do as Christien says. Boost it using your winter beater drive around for a bit. If it doesn't hold a charge then go to plan B.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once the battery has died as in this case, the lifespan has been greatly reduced. Time for a new battery.

next time store it with the negative lead removed from the battery. This way there is no draw and one will be able to start it in the spring. If you are worried about the battery (and it's close to your home/garage), put a charger on it for about 30 minutes every month or two to keep it topped up.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:20 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Don't use your alternator to charge you battery. Big strain on it.
I just park my car and the battery is fine in the spring.
I feel that thse trickle chargers are doing more harm than good. Just me.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:03 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys,

I brought the battery this AM to my local wrench. He said there was around 2 volts left, so not completely dead. He is recharging it and checking it. I will find a replacement, and get that one charged up.

Any good ideas of where to find Optima or other recommended batteries? I figure, why not try aftermarket for better performance/price instead of OEM.

AFter initially being so disappointed when tried to fire her up for the first time this year... I have calmed down and realized this is a very small fissure in the road....

Still.... I wanted to drive last night!!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting warmer today and even more so tomorrow!!!!

At least your not replacing a clutch or something along these lines. Batery is a no sweat problem.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:02 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeBat

Any good ideas of where to find Optima or other recommended batteries? I figure, why not try aftermarket for better performance/price instead of OEM.
A battery is a battery. Do what a lot of us have done when the crappy oem Moll battery died and go to CDN Tire, or Parts Source or Costco and pick up a group 48 (whatever brand you want) for $90- $130. 10 mins with a wrench and you're done for the next 4 years.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:39 PM
njackett
Instructor

^ +1 those batteries have a 5 year warranty on them and if anything happens just walk back in and say it's dead and they will give ya a new one.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
PPo
Drifting

Too late, but my advice would be too boost and it and drive it. Strain on the altenator? Perhaps if you have the heater, defrost, stereo, heated seats, lights, windshiels wipers, and espresso maker all running while you are trying to charge the battery. Remember voltage regulators have to dump current way more often then you think.

It may even be good for the charging system to do this since it has sat idle.

I have done this every year after storing my Turbo car... My last battery lasted 6 years!

Your Mileage May Vary,
P
Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 PM
PPo
Drifting

+1 on the Canadian Tire batteries.

By the way, for the race car, I remove the battery completly and charge it with a battery charger before I try to start it again. Different set-up, different usage, different process.

-P

Quick Reply: Need some guidance...afte winter storage, dead battery.....