Notices

PCA DE May 3 & 4: Mosport...who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched all you folks going up 57 today while i was turning out horses and mucking stalls.
I hope you all had fun
Old 05-03-2008, 07:29 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sputter
I watched all you folks going up 57 today while i was turning out horses and mucking stalls.
I hope you all had fun
One word: wet. I actually enjoyed driving in the rain and learning the wet line...that's when I got the chance that is! Unfortunately, there were several doofus' who either, a: didn't know they had mirrors, b: didn't want to get their f#%king hand wet by pointing to let pass or c: were hearing impaired and couldn't hear their instructors yelling at them to "LET FASTER CARS PASS!!!!". Geesh! You know you're crawling behind someone who's really dogin' it when you have to down shift to 1st between 5a and 5b to avoid stalling the engine! Lots of wasted laps because of this. My instructor was livid after we came in the last time and went and had a few words with some of the other instructors.

Well, tomorrow is another day and the weather should be clear.
end of rant.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 PM
webbie
Pro

haha, you are lucky that you work in the morning. I got the afternoon shift. Nothing against the club, just my bad luck.

I agree with everything you said, not just happened in your instructed group, the solo group has a lot of traffic too.

Enjoy the SUNNY and DRY day tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks like the weather today will be good for you Phil.
You should be able to get some nice speeds up on the back straight.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:26 PM
SHEMM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shemmer
Where do I register. Guess I better hurry the F$ck up unless it's full. Do I need skid pad if I'm green?
I hear you went up Sunday..........I bet just watching you're now itching to get on the track!

Usually these events are booked months in advance.

You also need to take the skid pad school event - only a few, so sign up asap.

You'll also need a snell 2000 or newer helmut and have your car teched before the event.

What are you waiting for???
Old 05-04-2008, 07:17 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Weather was much better on day 2. Cold and windy in the AM and sunny and windy in the PM. Track was pretty much dry all day. Finally saw cars getting blue flagged, so passing was a little more frequent and less frustrating; other than the one time where I went up half the Andretti straight in 2nd gear (and no we weren't under yellow and yes some people were still circling the track on the second day like they were looking for a parking spot at the mall!). My instructor was fantastic and recommended that I be moved up a group for the next event. Hung out with fellow rennlisters Geoff, Paul and Bob all weekend and had a really good time. Stunning to see at least five incidents on the first day with a few "weekend ending" damages...certainly was sobering.
All in all, while the track time with the PCA isn't as intense as at a private trackday, it was certainly enjoyable and worthwhile. I'd do it again.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:29 PM
SHEMM
Intermediate

Unusual for that many incidents at a PCA event. They are usually very controlled, but of course you can't always control the driver even if an instructor is sitting next to him/her.

It's always good to drive the wet line at Mosport at least once.

It will be a much different experience in the "signed-off" group next time all on your own - congratulations!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Sputter
Pro

Phil, what kind of accidents?. Off road due to wet? car to car? I'm suprised to hear this.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:30 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

1st accident was in the very first run group (white) after the first yellow lap. Light rain, damp track, red 993 TT accelerated too hard out of 5c, hit standing water, did a 180 and met the wall; full course black flag and that was it for that run group. (I was working the pit line and boy were they pissed since they only got about 1/2 a lap under green!)
2:Next session, red group, mantis cayman does a little agricultural work (again) at 5. Comes into the pits with some damage to the splitter and leaves a trail of mud and grass leaving for the paddocks. White group is again delayed while a "clean up on aisle 5" is done. (yup, pissed again!...I'm only the messenger!)
3: tower announces that a well worked over 996 bumper cover has been located on the track and that the owner can come and collect it. Don't have any more details than that.
4: yellow group. 944 blows its engine and barfs oil all over the track in front of Paul's 993 cab causing him a bit of momentary stress.
5: yellow group. silver cab goes wide and takes an excursion into the wall. Paul and Geoff report back on the lovely hieroglyphics of tires adorning the wall. Apparently the driver bounced into the wall and just kept going! EMS still wanted to have a chat with him.
Not quite a NASCAR weekend, but exciting nonetheless.
Shemm,
nah, not signed off just moving to yellow. While this wasn't my first track day, it was my first with the UCR PCA and I had to start with green. Not sure I EVER want to be signed off to white after seeing the possibilities of wrecking.

Last edited by pongobaz; 05-04-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
SHEMM
Intermediate

Phil:

Saturday may have been a bad example, but believe me, "signed-off" is less stressful than the others. It's you and your car, no Sunday drivers, lots of rules, drivers trying to improve, and some pretty serious "attitude adjusters" for the hot dogs!

Have fun!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

All in all it was a pretty good weekend, with a dry track on Sunday balancing the fun of driving in the rain on Saturday.
As far as the incidents, two people hitting the wall is inexcusable, especially the one in the yellow group (there is an instructor with yellow students). The red 993TT incident was simply stupid - cold wet track, warnings about corner 5C, warnings to take it easy to see what the track was like, and someone loses it half a lap into the very first session. Sometimes it is useful to listen to the Chief Instructor at the Drivers Meeting.
Fortunately it didn't involve anyone else.
Phil (and anyone else) - don't be in a big hurry to get signed off and leave instructors behind. A criticisms of the PCA events is that there is not enough instruction, although there is usually someone available if you ask. There are spots at Mosport that are very difficult to learn without some degree of instruction. Or at least difficult to learn to do consistently and reasonably safely at 9/10ths.
Looking forward the the June events.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob D..
Phil (and anyone else) - don't be in a big hurry to get signed off and leave instructors behind.
No hurry here...planning on growing roots in the yellow group.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:51 PM
webbie
Pro

Me and my buddy were seriously thinking about moving to yellow after the first session, only 13 cars there, but were afraid to **** off our already stressed chief instructor. Staying in the yellow might be a good idea.

On the list, I saw Jacques Villeneuve. Is he THE "Jacques Villeneuve"?

PS. Too bad I missed the other rennlisters
Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Webbie,
It was good to meet you in person on Sat. I didn't see your car today though. Were you there?
Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

what order does the groups got out in?

Quick Reply: PCA DE May 3 & 4: Mosport...who's going?