Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is GTR2 that online racing game?

I really hope GranTourismo5 gets Mosport or in a download pack at least
Old 12-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

There are 2 Mosport track add-ons for GTR, R-Factor, etc. One is crap and barely resembles the real thing. The other one (the one in those videos) is pretty damn good. The surface is smoother than in real life, especially at the apex of turn 1 where all the crap collects. One thing that bugs me is that the painted white line is treated like turtles to the game software, in that it unsettles your car when you cross it. Not as much as the actual turtles, but enough to make it difficult to get a good smooth line through 2, whereas in real life you're almost on the grass at the 2 apexes of 2, so much so that there's no paint left on the surface. Still, it's great for this time of year!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:25 AM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

He misses most of the apexs in the second one. I have GTR2 with Mosport for the PC and its quite accurate. I just need to get a decent wheel and pedals now and ditch the joystick!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:47 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I just started playing the game, the Mosport track is pretty close. Not perfect but close.
As well I can use my Xbox 360 on my PC so I don't need a whole new setup.
I love the Isle of Mann track.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Christien
Race Car

Yeah, you really need the wheel and pedals to enjoy it I think. I've got a decent force-feedback wheel/pedal setup that clamps onto my desk. There's no gearshift (just paddle shifting) and the brake and gas pedal are so sensitive that it's really difficult to be subtle with either. Still, it was under $100 and r-factor is free, so it gets me through the winter

A lot of the game videos posted on youtube show some really crappy driving: no concept of braking zones, turn in, apex, track out, etc. Just floor it and go, basically. But pretty much all of the cars available for GTR and rfactor are so well tuned that you can get away with it. I wish I could find a street 911 like what you see at DEs and lapping days. Better yet a 73 RS, or even just a street longhood like my own. I found the most realistic car (by our standards, considering most of us aren't used to Cup cars or formula 1s) is a slightly-tuned BMW 5 series I downloaded.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:18 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Christien
I wish I could find a street 911 like what you see at DEs and lapping days. Better yet a 73 RS, or even just a street longhood like my own. I found the most realistic car (by our standards, considering most of us aren't used to Cup cars or formula 1s) is a slightly-tuned BMW 5 series I downloaded.
I noticed that as well. I will have to try and find it. All the cars are to fast and handle to well. I even tried teh 350z, thinking it wouldn't be that great (boy was I wrong). The guy who designed it for the game must be dreaming if they think it is that fast.
The closest I found to my car was the 997 Cup Cars from Porsche Carrera Cup 2006 V2
Though they are still about 30-40 km faster around some corners, gearing is not quite the same (first gear is way to long, rest are to short) and they are slightly faster up the back straight.
The oversteer on them are great.

Next one I am going to try is this Porsche 911 RS No.42 LeMans-1973
But I've exceeded my download limit so I have to wait for it to reset.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Christien
Race Car

Wicked! You found an RS! That's awesome! I just downloaded it - if you want it tonight, pm me your email address and I'll email it to you (I think I had your address, but I cleared out all my pms and a bunch of old emails, so might not). I've never seen that site before, so I'll have to check out the cars and tracks available there. It'd be nice if someone would do TMP or Dunnville

No disrespect to your 996, but a 997 cup car damn well better be 30-40 km/h faster around some corners and faster up the back straight! It's hundreds of pounds lighter, better suspension, etc. etc. plus costs who knows how much more!
Old 12-22-2007, 09:19 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My version of GTR2 also included GT Legends. I think its pretty much the same game engine, but older 60's & 70's touring cars as the focus. I find it closer in feel to driving a street car on the track than GTR2.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:19 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I found where to down load Legends and got the RS and 906, waiting for the wife to go to bed so I can try it.
Also found a Cayman S, it is still to fast cornering but it about the same up the back straight. 1st gear is totally screwed, allows you to hit 100 km/h and it doesn't oversteer.

Quick Reply: Mosport on GTR2