Notices

Ontario DUI law getting stricter...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:26 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Race Car

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

+1 to what Imre said, when I was young living in the country we all drank on the weekends (only thing to do LOL) and my tolerance was WAYY higher then now. I weighed less and 3 - 4 bears in a few hours would not affect me at all. Now, because I hardly drink, those same 3 - 4 beers I would be wasted! I guess the line in the sand has to be drawn somewhere and it better to be on the safe side.

What I don't agree on is the impaired driving being a criminal offense on the first conviction, that needs to be axed.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
6 years ago, I went to a traffic conference where MADD's lawyer did a presentation on lowering the legal limit to 0.05. They claimed that an average adult male, 200lbs, on an empty stomach, can have 6 beers in two hours and still be under .08.
Now if you can normally function with .09, you are either a functioning alcohlic or you don't get effected by alcholol like a normal person would.
As part of the MADD presentation, they did say that most alcoholics will pass these tests and they are not the real problem as they are used to operating/functioning under high level of alcohol in their system. Their body gets used to the constant high level of alcohol and adjust/get used to it over time. The real issue is the binge drinkers that get loaded in a very short periof of time and get behind the wheel.

I'm not for or against MADD but their presentation was fairly convincing.
what if your Johnny Fever ? that was classic ..
Old 07-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
what if your Johnny Fever ? that was classic ..
You made Google Jihnny fever!

Majority of the EU contires have 0 tolerance for BAC....unless you are a tourist, you can not have ANY in your system. If you are a visitor, >05 is the limit. How crazy is that?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Bahama
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I still see too many folks handling cell phones while driving (also against the law I've been told). I'd rather walk through an intersection with motorists at .05, than with the same ones stone cold sober and texting a friend that they haven't had a drink all day. This is about safe operation of a vehicle and road safety, right ????
Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
better be careful out there...the new laws on Bill 203 are the strictest n North America...even .05 can ruin your insurance soon...
I don't have an issue with that. Wanna drink...stay off the roads. Wanna yap on a cell phone...yap somewhere else.

If you think that is tough, they've recently changed the DUI law in Italy. If you are over some number, they take your car away...for good...got car payments on it?...you're tough...you'll still be making the payments.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
....................If you think that is tough, they've recently changed the DUI law in Italy. If you are over some number, they take your car away...for good...got car payments on it?...you're tough...you'll still be making the payments.
Interesting, do you have a link for this?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:44 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Interesting, do you have a link for this?
Sorry, no.

I got that info while in Italy a few weeks ago. I was sitting with friends (locals) in their garden having some homemade wine, grappa and real cheese.

I also got to try a breathalizer that one of them bought at the local pharmacy. I was under at 0.04.

One of the residents in the valley committed suicide after his car was taken away. He bumped another car in a roundabout; nothing serious (but it could have been elsewhere). The Carabinieri automatically perform a breathalizer; he was over and lost his car.

Edited: Just found this...
Italy ramps up penalties for DUI

Seems it applies to everyone including those just passing through.

Quick Reply: Ontario DUI law getting stricter...