Notices

GTA GTG NEW WINTER LOCATION!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
im not gonna say anything... but we all know how most of us would like it to be...
My personal preference would be for a few women to show up.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

This was discussed at length last year, but here goes again. I think most of us have no problems with any Sports car enthusiasts showing up on occasion with an interesting machine that comes from a manufacturer with heritage and pedigree. The concern that many of us have had in the past is that while growth is good, we need to insure that it doesn't dilute the original intent. Where do we draw the line? Who defines what constitutes an interesting sports car? I personally don't wan't to start seeing a bunch of modded sport compacts with fart cans at our GTGs because someone deemed them to be interesting. Remember, these GTGs were started by a handful of PORSCHE enthusiasts and only posted on Rennlist (a PORSCHE only forum) initially. Many friendships have formed because of the common interest we all have in the marque. The reality is that more and more, we're seeing two camps on Saturdays: the Porsche guys and the 'vette guys with less and less interaction between the two. Why? Simply because each side chooses to talk about the cars they know the most about to the people that are the most interested. We are simply sharing the same parking lot at this point.
I think that multi brand exotic car meets and other activities have their place, but I'm not sure that our Porsche rennlist GTA GTGs are the right venue for that.
If someone wants to organize exotic cruises, indoor karting ('vette vs porsche, as Cdnwolf suggested), I think that would be great. Many GTA rennlisters would participate.
Flame away
Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you decided to move venues eh... lucky for me I checked in when I did.

Saturday mornings will get better for me so I can once again attend a Saturday morning GTG probably just in time for the snowy days just like last year.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:14 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No flaming here Phil, just a bit of dissent.

Let’s review the last year . . .

The mix always seems to be 60% Porsche 39% Vette.

But that last 1% has been cuties. Ferrari 512BB. Ferrari GT4. Ferrari 430. Ford GT. Aston Martin DB9? ’38 Buick with a rumble seat. Lotus Elise. An Ariel came once I think – but I was away. Audi R8. Some Lambo things. The cool Benzs.

For me, I enjoy yabbering with the Porsche guys. Comparing DIY blood & guts stories. Getting hints & ideas. Looking at the new Porsche offerings is interesting too & it’s fun talking to the owners of the newer breed – misguided as they might be . . . hahahaha . . . older Porsche guy here stuck in the air-cooled days . . .

But I also like seeing all of the other cars. Especially the cars of my younger days that I lusted at in the 70s & 80s (when many current GTGers were in grade school or diapers) that are usually locked away in garages. It is nice to look at them & talk to the owners. Sure, I could help organize or participate in the Arshad/Fchat runs & drive with some older cars as I have done, but they are animal events that are spoiled by the rich kids driving cars that daddy’s money bought. Not my scene & I will not go again.

I agree that to-date, we have managed to avoid the young, obnoxious wannabes that could spoil the gathering. The few vehicular outbursts that we have had, unanimous disapproval solved. We never want it to devolve into that.

So if it turns into an all-Porsche event, so be it. The winter is almost here & the participants will plummet anyway & we have all winter to hash it out.

Ian
Old 11-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll show up with my "Winter sportscar" ....
Old 11-15-2007, 01:19 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imcarthur
But that last 1% has been cuties. Ferrari 512BB. Ferrari GT4. Ferrari 430. Ford GT. Aston Martin DB9? ’38 Buick with a rumble seat. Lotus Elise. An Ariel came once I think – but I was away. Audi R8. Some Lambo things.
I bet we will not see any of these cars during winter anyway...
Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imcarthur
No flaming here Phil, just a bit of dissent.

Let’s review the last year . . .

The mix always seems to be 60% Porsche 39% Vette.

But that last 1% has been cuties. Ferrari 512BB. Ferrari GT4. Ferrari 430. Ford GT. Aston Martin DB9? ’38 Buick with a rumble seat. Lotus Elise. An Ariel came once I think – but I was away. Audi R8. Some Lambo things. The cool Benzs.

[...]

Ian

I try to make it out as much as possible and look forward to the 1%, you never know what's going to show up! I enjoyed seeing Kevin's cars the Ferrari 575M(550?), The Chrysler convertible, his old Ferrari Daytona then the gentleman with the Continental GT, the Maserati, the new Aston Vantage V8. But like Arnaud said those cars won't be out come winter and then we'll be back at Chapters! I think it's perfect the way it is!

With the new location now I can bring a laptop & external drive and trade music
Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Not that I'm there often enough to really have meaningful input, but here's my 2 cents:

I don't care what cars are there. What interests me are Porsches, and the occasional Ferrari, Lambo, etc. The cars that get my blood going are the ones you DON'T see on the road everyday. I see enough boxsters, Corvettes and rice rockets. I'm well aware of the capabilities of these cars - I used to have a boxster, I've driven a Corvette at Mosport, and had my *** spanked by rice rockets at TMP (believe me, they're not all wannabes - some of these guys take their cars AND their driving very seriously, and are very good at what they do). I'm more interested in the regular Porsche enthusiast crowd and checking out their cars. I have no interest in people who drive a particular car as any kind of status symbol. I am 100% sure there are tons of Porsche owners (or lessees, more likely) out there that fit into this category, but fortunately I've never run into one of them at the GTG.

Call it snobbery if you want, but Porsches are simply what I'm interested in. The interest in other exotics is more due to their rarity, rather than actual love of another particular marque. As for any other cars that show up, it doesn't bother me one bit. I may not be interested in them, but it doesn't bother me.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:31 PM
mdex
Racer

Having only stopped in once I am not an expert. But who cares what the car is, what matters is the driver you are going to interact with. I would think that any true enthusiast whom stops in would be more then welcome. I know people with mini's, honda's etc. that are true enthusiasts who would be great to hang out with.... and tons of Porsche guys who are no fun at all.

Marc
Old 11-15-2007, 09:13 PM
smook
2nd Gear

One corvette coming up on the 24th !!

AHAHAHA !

-zBill.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ BRING TEH RON FELLOWS CAR!

i dunno if i'll make it or not...i mite be spending the evening punching holes in my wall for speaker wire
Old 11-15-2007, 09:31 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Barring (whoa thaT's almOst my Name) the unforeseen,
I'll be making it out for the Chapter's swan song this saturday.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Omar, aren't you supposed to be studying?
Old 11-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i am...but there's only so much you can write about the roll of air superiority in warfare before you want to smack every U.S. theater commander in the head with a copy of Robert Pape's "Bombing To Win" and their own high-res data from previous engagements.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:59 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trickydisco
Barring (whoa thaT's almOst my Name) the unforeseen,
I'll be making it out for the Chapter's swan song this saturday.
In the 993S or in the Beat My Winter?

Quick Reply: GTA GTG NEW WINTER LOCATION!