Notices

GTA GTG NEW WINTER LOCATION!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 04:50 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

You really want to be parked between all the Saabs, Volvos and assorted minivans while the owners wrestle flat-packed bookcases into them?!?...
Old 11-18-2007, 07:57 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
I just thought of a good idea for you guys. Have the meet at Ikea. Everyone can enjoy their $1 breakfast and afterwards you can retire to one of the furniture sections to sit down and talk........no?

I have sworn to never go again to IKEA in Etobicoke on the week-end. It is absolute madness!
Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

It's not just Etobicoke - the one off Leslie and the Burlington one are just as bad.

My first thought was the same as Phil's - no parking, and morons with oversize boxes thinking they got a deal when what they really bought was a POS that'll fall apart in a few months.

We swore off Ikea years ago, not because of the crowds but because of the crappy quality of most of their stuff. I bought a double bed there when I was in university and within a year I had to put about 100 screws and 10 feet of lumber into it to keep it together. And unfortunately there wasn't a good reason for the bed falling apart, just crappy design.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:00 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

It was actually a joke as a suggestion.

But I know what you mean about the parking lots. I was at an Ikea this saturday, I parked far far away where there were no cars around and easy access to an exit. The person didn't understand why I parked so far away until the walk to the store where we witnessed all sorts of excellent and fantastic parking abilities (more sarcasm here).
Old 11-18-2007, 09:11 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by old man neri
It was actually a joke as a suggestion.
I know; just playing with ya.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

Hi guys .. I have been out of town for a month or so so have not participated in any get togethers or discusions... and we all know I have very little opinions about anything anyway. so I will be a little late with this one .
The vette guys are great but I have seen the two camps because our interests are just different. It is not to bad in the summer as you can wander around and look at the different cars but the winter is different. Why not have just the Porsche guys for the winter at our new location and see how it goes. We can all get together in the spring again at Chapters if we want ? would that not make a good compomise?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.... I see your point and it actually seems reasonable , but
what if the vette guys/gal want to be at the new location as well?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

I am not a solution provider .. only an opinion provider...

PS hows the U S car workin out ?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:18 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

touchdown
Old 11-19-2007, 11:16 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Hi guys .. I have been out of town for a month or so so have not participated in any get togethers or discusions... and we all know I have very little opinions about anything anyway. so I will be a little late with this one .
The vette guys are great but I have seen the two camps because our interests are just different. It is not to bad in the summer as you can wander around and look at the different cars but the winter is different. Why not have just the Porsche guys for the winter at our new location and see how it goes. We can all get together in the spring again at Chapters if we want ? would that not make a good compomise?
Unfortunately you've already set the precedent regarding the GTG's, and IMO cannot exclude someone, just because you find the situation inconvenient.
I can't think of a better way to resolve this "two camps" issue, than by sitting at a table. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Our interests are the same, the only difference is our vehicle of choice.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:11 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboS
Unfortunately you've already set the precedent regarding the GTG's, and IMO cannot exclude someone, just because you find the situation inconvenient.
I can't think of a better way to resolve this "two camps" issue, than by sitting at a table. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Our interests are the same, the only difference is our vehicle of choice.
FYI: there hasn't been any precedent set. If you do a search, you'll see from the very first GTGs that these were aimed solely at the Porsche community. Enthusiasts from other makes found us on the 'net and gravitated to our location simply because there is a semblance of consistency and organization with our little GTGs. The reality is that we meet in public places where people are free to come and go as they please so no, we can't exclude people at will. We may all be enthusiasts, but I disagree that our interests are the same; 'vettes, Ferraris, Astons, etc... are certainly sports cars, but they are only a curiosity for me and they don't really interest me all that much in the end. They are not the reason why I go to almost every Saturday GTGs; Porsches are my passion and that's what keeps me coming back.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:52 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Wow, this reminds me of how I was shunned and excluded from so many parties back in high school...lol
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

if you had a Porsche you wouldn't have been .. :-)
Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
if you had a Porsche you wouldn't have been .. :-)
So my mom coming to pick me up in a Nissan doesn't count? How about my bus pass?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:24 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
. . . are only a curiosity for me and they don't really interest me all that much in the end.
[Devil’s Advocate Hat]

Let’s start this sentence in some different ways . . .

I am an old air-cooled car guy so water-pumper Porsches – 996, 997, GT3, CGT . . .

Or

I am a track guy, so garage queen or heavy car-stereo’d Porsches are a waste and . . .

Or

Those old 60s, 70s & 80s Porsches . . .

Or

Those 944 & 924 weren’t real Porsches anyway and they . . .

Or

The 928s . . .

[/Devil’s Advocate Hat]

btw Phil, I am not aiming this at you, I am just steering the conversation.

Ian

Quick Reply: GTA GTG NEW WINTER LOCATION!