Notices

OT: Home Theater Sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:10 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Component cables are less flakey when it come to handshake issues between devices. He probably doesn't want to come back for warranty issues.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Stick with componant feeds from the digital Set Top Boxs ... HDMI may be a bit quirky ...
Old 11-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

last annoying noob question of the night (I promise).

Does anyone have any opinions on KEF speakers? specifically the Reference and XQ series?

P.S. Jaak, spartans vs. vikings, who would win?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
what do yu guys think for rogers hd...component or hdmi? I know hdmi carries better signal but if signal is better w/ component that is the way to go. In Calgary my wifes cousin does 6 fugure sytems and he only does component as the cable company delivers stronger component signal.
Digital signal is the same in all formats. Issue is with the signal processor within the STB ... componant is where the focus was.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
last annoying noob question of the night (I promise).

Does anyone have any opinions on KEF speakers? specifically the Reference and XQ series?

P.S. Jaak, spartans vs. vikings, who would win?
Vikings ... but them I am biased as my heritage is Viking ...

I have Wharfedales ...2 floors for the front and bookshelf for the rears. The big thing is accoustics of the room. You need to address this as it will affect your sound the most.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson

I have Wharfedales ...2 floors for the front and bookshelf for the rears. The big thing is accoustics of the room. You need to address this as it will affect your sound the most.

hmmm...well eric the red did come stomping thru north america (i think...man i should have paid more attention in 5th grade history)...and if my knowledge of hollywood vikings is true....they were quite gangster indeed.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:22 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OT: Oh yeah? Me too.. Norwegian, swedish or danish?
Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hoffa
OT: Oh yeah? Me too.. Norwegian, swedish or danish?
Estonian ...... know as the last of the Vikings ...
Old 11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
hmmm...well eric the red did come stomping thru north america (i think...man i should have paid more attention in 5th grade history)...and if my knowledge of hollywood vikings is true....they were quite gangster indeed.
They came here around 800 AD ... set up on the "rock" and grew grapes ... we were gangsta ... R & P in England ... left a lot of Blonds behind ....
Old 11-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

.... left a lot of Blonds behind ....

god bless you
Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I've liked the KEF stuff I've heard. Thier "point source" approach seems to work well.

KEF have been around a long time and have some serious gear.

ONly the top end stuff is truly "hi-fi" - but the mid tier is decent.

As for set up - impossible to know distances etc until you have exact gear in an excat space. Everything is a total guess.

RK
Old 11-09-2007, 05:07 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KEF?

As you read through this whole thread - or ANY audio thread on ANY forum - you will quickly realize that for every brand, there will be lovers & haters. Audio & video is largely subjective. I sell a brand whose flagship speaker is $90K. Is it the world's best speaker? Maybe. Maybe not. It depends on who you talk to. Is it worth $90K? Yes, if you can afford it. Does it sell? You bet. How much better is it than their $2K model? That also depends who you talk to.

You have to do your own listening. Don’t rely on ANYBODY’S opinion. Use opinions as guidelines only.

As an aside, I once had to chauffer Raymond Cooke – founder of KEF – around Toronto during a hifi show. They are now Asian owned.

Ian
Old 11-09-2007, 06:11 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

I solve the need for amazing audio another way...

I have Sennheiser HD650 headphones, http://www.headphone.com/products/he...ser-hd-650.php

AKG 701's http://www.headphone.com/products/he.../akg-k-701.php

and Shure E500PTH earphones http://www.shure.com/PersonalAudio/P...00_pth_content

And then I have a good amp and between those 3 setups I can get *amazing* audio, but headphones/earphones are more for accuracy not movie watching. But I felt I would share my audiophileness.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

k...went to brack, didn't know i needed an appointment, so made one, will go back later to listen 2 B&W

went to audio excellence to listen to some maggie's (MC-1's)......wow....and by that i mean Woah (keanu reeves style)....they're sooooo clear and precise! (is that the word i'm looking for?)

I also listened to a set of Focal Chorus floorstanders and while they definitely had much better low-end, i still think i prefer the sound of the MC-1's. Will try to make time to listen 2 some of their other focal stuff as well. They were setup in different rooms, but tested with same source material. I'm wondering how much of the difference came down to the difference in the rooms vs. the speakers themselves.

John, the salesman at Audio Excellence, also said that Magnapan's were "fast" speakers and it might be tricky to match them with a sub that can keep up with them. He recommended a martin-Logan sub.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh - you're done now dude. DO NOT go listen to the Wilson WATT/Puppy combo with McIntosh amps at AE.

I had trouble turning my rig on for a week after that experience.

Be sure that rooms at a HUGE contributing factor to the overall sound - so nothing you hear at the shop will sound like that at home. Could be better at home too though.

If you're buying new good gear - only deal with a shop that will let you try the stuff at home - properly set up before committing. It's the only way to be sure.

Ian - do you sell this stuff as a biz?

I'm looking to step up from Vandy 2C's to something better. Although I'm a little busted on the time and phase alingment approach now!

RK

Quick Reply: OT: Home Theater Sound