Notices

Help! DMV issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
try importing a GT-R..there's only like 3 MTO offices in toronto that know what to do with them. if MTO offices are privatized, then wouldn't the company who runs them have a monopoly?
Each MTO is a privately owned franchise. There's no one company that runs them, except for the Ministry itself.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all the people who have posted their imput.

I think the only safe way to go about this is to get the permit, the only thing is finding an MTO location that understands this.

Does anyone know of a MTO location in Toronto that will issue the permit, perhaps someone that has imported a car and has been issued a pemit first hand, as I said in my original post, the local MTO in kitchener won't issue a permit after 6 days from bill of sale. I will try the other local MTO before heading to Toronto.

Also, Can anyone recomend a Crappy Tire location for the RIV inspection to avoid unnecesary problems regarding French airbag stickers and child restraint tethering device.

Thanks again, David
Old 10-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 779 Likes on 361 Posts

Easy with the Crappy Tire references dickweed.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Christien
Race Car

What are you importing? If it's a boxster you don't need to worried about child tethers, because it's a 2-seater with airbags, so you can't put a child seat in it anyway. If it's a 911, some newer models might have them already - not sure. As for the airbag stickers, I wouldn't worry about it. If they bug you about it, apparently you can get one at pretty much any new car dealership, or they might even sell them at Canadian Tire, not sure. If you're absolutely stuck, pm me, I had a few around here at some point, I could probably find them.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:54 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Easy with the Crappy Tire references dickweed.
Hello Jamie !!!!! How yah doing bud ?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM
bavorak
Instructor

The car is a 00 911 c2, I recall someone mentioning these cars need a child seat tether, what exactly is this?

Jamie, didn't mean to insult anyone, "Crappy Tire" refers to their less than par economy auto repair service, the rest of the store is fine, frequently make lawn and garden purchases there, a fair value for the dollar.

Besides, I doubt you take the GT or 997S there to get your oil change or brakes done. Than again, maybe you do? You may infact just be the owner of such a franchise, would explaine the fine stable of automobiles you have.

Friendly Regards, David
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Strangely enough you do need the rear seat child seat anchors for the Boxster, or at least I did!!! And yes I was scratching my head too.

I had my car inspected at Canadian Tire at Lawrence and the Allen. It was very easy. The tech asked me to drive into an open service bay, he did a quick visual inspection, checking for items from the RIV form #1 I believe. I switched the digital speedometer over to k/ms for him. I didn’t have bilingual air bag stickers, but he didn’t ask to see them anyway. You could play it safe and copy and print your own airbag labels to use for the inspection. I had DRLs installed at Pfaff, but you can do it yourself by searching here or over on renntech for DRL relay install. And the child seat tether anchors, well the tech said I could go next door into the retail side of Canadian Tire and purchase a generic anchor in the childproofing section and come back, show it to him (didn't need to install it, and at this point I wasn't going to argue the no back seat issue w/ him) and my car would pass inspection.
If my memory is correct, I think the cost of the inspection is included in the RIV fees. I first attempted to have the inspection done at Pfaff while the DRL relay was being installed and they didn’t fill out and send in the correct forms, and charged me $100.00 for their time.

Last edited by aron in toronto; 10-10-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: ??
Old 10-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Christien
Race Car

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. P**** Pfaff. $100 for not doing something right? Telling a customer they can fill out a RIV form is just BS. Only Canadian Tire can do that, and Pfaff knows it. What did they charge for the DRL install? Does it hurt when I say Mantis charged me $65, parts and labour? Sorry, not trying to be a pain, Pfaff just rubs me the wrong way.

Interesting about the child seat tethers for the boxster - the RIV website explicity states the boxster is exempt, although maybe it's different for different model years. Mine was a 99, and I remember it being a range of 97-02 or something.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

they probably wrote the procedure in 02 and never updated it.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Yeah I know, I feel like I was taken on the DRLs. I think I paid close to $150 for the install of the relay. Pfaff is also off my list. While I was in having them install an airbag deactivation bar, I ask the service advisor if there is anywhere I can get some coffee. He tells me there a Timmies out side the autoplex, maybe a 10 min walk. I figure I might as well kill some time, so I leave on foot, return 20 min later and the receptionist back at Pfaff laughs at me seeing my coffee. She point to the customer coffee bar located about 10’ from the service advisors desk.

About a week later the first time anyone sits in the passenger seat the airbag light comes on, I figure there must be something wrong with the airbag deactivation bar install so I take it back in to Pfaff. They tell me its wasn’t the install, but it’s the common bad ground issue in the seat belt receptacle and that they are now advised by PCNA to replace both receptacles even though only one is currently bad. And they aren’t going to offer any good will on the cost. I go home and think it over, search here for other’s success at having this done and also see what others are paying for job. While most at the time were being covered out of warrantee for the airbag light some were not, so I was able to come up with a price others had paid. I book an apt with Pfaff to do the repair and mention that PCNA had been good willing this repair in the past, and ask again if there in any possibility for assistance in my case since they had just done work in the area. They offer to cover the labor if I pay for the parts and tell me it’s about 50% of the full cost, but when they give my the price it’s was about twice the price that others have been paying. I say thanks but no thanks and have never been back since.

Live and learn.

Last edited by aron in toronto; 10-10-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:40 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by bavorak
You may infact just be the owner of such a franchise, would explaine the fine stable of automobiles you have.
Jamie,
You sell CGT's and 997TT's in your store? What aisle, what aisle!?!?!.....
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 779 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC930
Hello Jamie !!!!! How yah doing bud ?
Lol, not getting banned anywhere, you bad boy!!

Originally Posted by bavorak
The car is a 00 911 c2, I recall someone mentioning these cars need a child seat tether, what exactly is this?

Jamie, didn't mean to insult anyone, "Crappy Tire" refers to their less than par economy auto repair service, the rest of the store is fine, frequently make lawn and garden purchases there, a fair value for the dollar.

Besides, I doubt you take the GT or 997S there to get your oil change or brakes done. Than again, maybe you do? You may infact just be the owner of such a franchise, would explaine the fine stable of automobiles you have.

Friendly Regards, David
We don't bother with the stickers. You don't require a seat anchor if the car is a cab, if not, we just sell you one, but don't require that it be installed - they're quite cheap. It's just a metal clip that's bolted onto the floor when installed.

We do this drl hack.

We do a ton of P cars because Rich (Motion Endeavours) is in town.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

"dickweed" ...what a classic , haven't heard that one in ages ... right out of Waynes world ...

Quick Reply: Help! DMV issue