Notices

Help! DMV issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:02 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! DMV issue

So the porsche is on it's way this week from Florida, went to the DMV today to ask if i need to get the original copy of the title in the car or if they can give me a 10 day permit with just the photcopy that i have. They told me no permit, that they will only issue a ten day permit up to six days from the bill of sale.

How is this possible, RIV says you have 45 days to get the car registered once it is imported, why would they only issue the permit up to six day from bill of sale, even if I got the 10 day permit within six days of the purchase date, it would expire before the car even gets here.

What do I do now? Am I going to have to get the car towed to get a safety, then a e-test and then again to Crappy Tire to get the RIV inspection, not to mention the tow to get it home from the drop off location.

Something does'nt seem right here?

Thanks, David
Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

I brought 5 cars in from the us. Shipping here always took 3 weeks from the day of sale. Never had a problem by just going to DMV and presenting the appropriate papers for the 10 day. I think you will be OK if you just go there in your other car when the pcar arrives.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep. Go to a different MTO location. MTOs are all privately-owned franchises, and thus training of employees is sometimes spotty. I've encountered many MTO desk clerks who don't know anything about their job, outside of renewing licenses and plates.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM
kpalle
AutoX

you actually don't need an Ontario Temporary Plate if it's not registered in Ontario! You should get one from Florida if you can though.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kpalle
yYou should get one from Florida if you can though.

Bad idea. The last time I checked Florida requires you pay tax even on a temp permit.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:52 PM
kpalle
AutoX

From what I hear, if the car is being exported they don't.

But YMMV.

better yet, do your homework and buy the car in a state that doesn't charge sales tax on any exported vehicle.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:06 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

We've got the same problem here..........ever since they privatized the DMV........only a handful of the offices know what is going on.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Just read another thread "importing a car from U.S" and people are stating that you don't even need a temp permit as long as you are within the 45 days and have the import papers from customs and valid insurance in the car, is this true?

On another note, I'm pretty sure you will get pulled over by every cop when they see no plates and no permit in the windshield.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

^ right. Once you cross the Canadian border you pay GST and duty and border guards issue a RIV Form 1. This form is good for 45 days and indicates that you are in the process importing the car. As long as you have insurance on the car you are free to drive it. If you get stopped by an officer you might have to explain all of this to him, but it's certainly legal.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

try importing a GT-R..there's only like 3 MTO offices in toronto that know what to do with them. if MTO offices are privatized, then wouldn't the company who runs them have a monopoly?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:26 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Possession of the Form 1 from RIV does not allow you to drive the car in Canada. No where on the RIV site does it state this. Only having a valid permanent/temporary/dealer license plate from your province, or a transit sticker allows you to do so. And then, there are conditions regarding this.

The statement that you can drive is incorrect.

You are in violation of both federal and provincial laws if you operate an unlicensed vehicle, as well as if you operate one which does not comply with the specific laws of the country and province regarding modifications that are not yet done. Period. Get into an accident with your newly imported car that has not been certified and you are up sheet creek without a paddle and a hole in your boat.

Last edited by YYC930; 10-10-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

Did you have to pay state taxes in Florida and then apply to get them back. I seem to remember reading that Florida does this as well as some other states.
what car did you pick up and any pics???????????
Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
bavorak
Instructor

You dont have to pay Florida tax unless you are driving it back I believe, If the car is being directly exported you don't pay the tax, this was my case anyway.

The car is a 00 911 C2 Aero coupe, silver. Will post pics once the car is here!

Still don't know what to do, so many mixed replys to this, I think I will try another MTO and get a permit to be safe.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:25 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Get the temp permit. You need it if you are driving in Ontario. I was also told over the phone by an RIV official that all I needed, permit wise, to drive my US car in to Ontario was my Bill of Sale, proof of insurance and related import documents, and that no temp tags were needed. While at the border dealing with the Canadian customs officer he informed that since my car had no tags, he had taken the liberty to radio ahead to the O.P.P. officer stationed up the road to look out for me as I was w/o tags. At this point had to leave my car at the border and drive to the nearest MTO purchase the 10 day tags, and then return to the border to retrieve my car. This was the only hick-up I had when I imported my car and it could have been avoided if had the correct info before heading to the border.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

sounds like you need the temp permitfrom MTO ($15). I have read that they wont issue the temp permit unless the car is already in Ontario. it sounds like there is a lot of conflicting information with regard to MTO office clerks, etc.

it's too bad RIV is giving out bunk information, considering they are the authority on importing cars and the MTO refuses to answer questionsre importing, other than directing any and all questions to RIV (anybody ever read heller's catch 22!?). I imported my personal car, which was registered with valid plates/tags for Cali, so technically the car was legally registered, etc so i didnt need to get a temp permit. fwiw, i also didnt pay PST when i registered my car in Ontario. It seems there is quite a bit of discretion involved with all of the 'rules', which is very annoying, even if it can have a positive benefit at times. good luck with the new car!

Quick Reply: Help! DMV issue