Notices

Cayuga track day today, anyone else from here go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayuga track day today, anyone else from here go?

Did anyone else from rennlist go to the Cayuga track day at TMP today? There were a ton of Vipers and Corvettes, an "interesting" crowd to say the least! It reminded me of import drag nights, just with grown ups and big displacement cars...
Old 09-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I didn't go, need to do some work on the car before she's back at the track. How was it? I haven't done one of the exotic lapping days yet, just the advance driver training programs run there (which are basically lapping days). Was there a lot of traffic? Do they just run an open track, or do they have run groups?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:22 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Hi Christien, I've done two days at Cayuga, one with ADT (Gerry's group) and one with the exotic car lapping day (yesterday). Gerry's event was by far, way better than the exotic car lapping day.

Both days had tons of track time, I was out of fuel by 2pm on both days, however the ECL day brought out a crowd that I didn't click with, whereas the guys that came out ot Gerry's event were a lot of fun.

For me, it was money well spent, $200 for a ton of track time, but had I been a novice, I think this group would have been a rough intro to track driving.

PM me if you want more details.

Last edited by fc-racer; 09-17-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

Guys travelled from the US to go to Cayuga???? how far? and were they happy with the trip. For Mosport I understand but Cayuga? Sorry if I offended anyone who runs Cayuga regularly.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:52 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Guys travelled from the US to go to Cayuga???? how far? and were they happy with the trip. For Mosport I understand but Cayuga? Sorry if I offended anyone who runs Cayuga regularly.
I don't get it either! I did Cayuga because the car is new to me and there's nothing to hit. They were all from NYC, but the USA guys were terrific to be on track with and to talk to. Some of the Canadians were very un-Canadian in their attitudes...
Old 09-17-2007, 02:53 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Hi Christien, I've done two days at Cayuga, one with ADT (Gerry's group) and one with the exotic car lapping day (yesterday). Gerry's event was by far, way better than the exotic car lapping day.

Both days had tons of track time, I was out of fuel by 2pm on both days, however the ECL day brought out a crowd that I didn't click with, whereas the guys that came out ot Gerry's event were a lot of fun.

For me, it was money well spent, $200 for a ton of track time, but had I been a novice, I think this group would have been a rough intro to track driving.

PM me if you want more details.
lol to late for the edit, I've all ready read the nasty stuff!
Old 09-17-2007, 03:16 PM
Christien
Race Car

Yeah, I read the nasty stuff too! Why the edit? I didn't think there was anything too inflamatory there. You called it as you saw it, fair enough.

The lack of mandatory helmets doesn't bother me too much at a track like that - last time I was there by the end of the day it was so damn hot I couldn't wear it. Besides, it's an extremely safe track.

Too bad you ran into some ego - I can't say I've ever run into anyone that bad at the track. Nothing worse than a know-it-all.

I like TMP and Dunnville for their relative lower cost and proximity to home (TMP is 40 min, Dunnville less than an hour, compared to Mosport which is 2 hrs min. with no traffic). I like the way Gerry runs his days - no more rules than necessary, open track, and he even brings water! I also prefer the entry point at the beginning of the front straight, rather than the end. Plus, it's cheaper than the exotic or open car lapping days. In fact, I think he's doing one on Friday.

But I agree that it's not worth a drive from NYC for! Did they come just for the track, or were they here already for other reasons? There must be comparable tracks closer to home.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ran Dunnville yesterday in a 6 hour open session. It was my first time out on the track and there were some serious cars there (as well as some not so serious cars). I am driving a stock honda s2000 but am looking to do as many track days as possible in the coming months (and next year). I was very apprehensive about starting off on an open day with much faster cars, but everything went smoothly and everyone used common sense. i really enjoyed it.

Do you guys know if there are any lapping days happening next weekend in cayuga or dunnville? do you guys run with non p-cars? thanks.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Christien
Race Car

Hey Mr. fizz, welcome to your new addiction

By and large most of the people at these events are really cool, and are really sensible on track. It's WAY safer than driving any of the major highways around here. Case in point, I spun at Dunnville in the rain with someone right on my tail. He was anticipating it (you always do) and had left room for error (either mine or his) so no problems whatsoever - not even close.

Friday there's and advanced driver training program at TMP (lapping w/ instructor for novices, solo for intermediate/advanced), open car lapping on Fri. Sept. 30. Dunnville lists a Miata club lapping day on the 30th on their website - most clubs (except PCA - grr) allow all makes. Here's a calendar I made of track days throughout the summer (though it hasn't been updated in a month or 2, so there might be some in Sept/Oct/Nov that I don't have):
http://calfinancial.ca/trackdays/calendar.html

Did you go out with an instructor, or just by yourself?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:41 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Christien
Yeah, I read the nasty stuff too! Why the edit? I didn't think there was anything too inflamatory there. You called it as you saw it, fair enough.
Having been the president of a large motorsport club in B.C. (380 members), I remember the days when the team would put their heart into an event and some dumb jerks would show up and give off a bad impression of the event itself.

Since it was my first time running the Exotic Lapping Days, I thought I'd cut them some slack. Wooly, one of the organizers was fantastic and I'd feel bad if he read my comments, especially if he's volunteering his personal time for no financial gain.

There were a few bad apples, driving Corvettes and Vipers, but perhaps they are not regulars at these events.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:51 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

thanks for the list christien, that is helpful. I was out by myself on the track, but wishing i had a knowledgeable co-pilot after a few laps to help me improve. i had a couple of guys lock-up / spin in front of me, but i was always leaving enough space to be safe. Depending on your view of lapping, im sure this day was not ideal for a beginner, but i survived fine -- the group was put together by some 240sx drivers, but at least 5 or 6 right-hand drive Skylines showed up. there were some pretty serious cars out there. everyone seemed very nice and the driving was very respectful, even if guys were pushing it at times.

i can only get to the track on sat/sun due to work. the nissan guys are heading back to dunnville in oct at some point, and i will probably join them. i would love to find something this weekend, but not sure it's going to happen. i am a little hesitant to go on a track with walls -- how is shannoville? i've heard they have open lapping most sundays?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:43 PM
Christien
Race Car

Shannonville is very similar to TMP and Dunnville - flat, lots of turns, very safe. I've only driven there once - it was my first track event, 3 years ago, so I don't remember the track that well, but if memory serves, it has a better rhythm than TMP (so does Dunnville, IMO). It's a long drive though. (where are you?) I believe the ADTs on Fridays at TMP are actually Friday evenings, 5 till dusk, if that makes it any easier for you. An instructor will definitely help you improve your driving, esp. in the first few events, though I don't think you can really do anything to mess up your car or yourself at a track like Dunnville, unless you're really being stupid. So I don't think it's that bad a format for a beginner, though you'll definitely improve faster and make more of your time/money with an instructor in the car. Not that improvement should necessarily be your goal - I don't really care about my own lap times (though I do strive to improve), I'm really just there to have fun.

Definitely avoid a track like Mosport without an instructor. Definitely go to a track like Mosport with an instructor Actually, I don't think there are any groups that run at Mosport that will let a first-timer (or even a general novice) on track without an instructor. It's just too dangerous. But with one in the car, and assuming you're driving responsibly, there's very little danger in it. Much less than the 401/407/427/QEW to get there. (Literally)
Old 09-17-2007, 06:19 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Christien
Shannonville is very similar to TMP and Dunnville - flat, lots of turns, very safe. I've only driven there once - it was my first track event, 3 years ago, so I don't remember the track that well, but if memory serves, it has a better rhythm than TMP (so does Dunnville, IMO). It's a long drive though. (where are you?) I believe the ADTs on Fridays at TMP are actually Friday evenings, 5 till dusk, if that makes it any easier for you. An instructor will definitely help you improve your driving, esp. in the first few events, though I don't think you can really do anything to mess up your car or yourself at a track like Dunnville, unless you're really being stupid. So I don't think it's that bad a format for a beginner, though you'll definitely improve faster and make more of your time/money with an instructor in the car. Not that improvement should necessarily be your goal - I don't really care about my own lap times (though I do strive to improve), I'm really just there to have fun.

Definitely avoid a track like Mosport without an instructor. Definitely go to a track like Mosport with an instructor Actually, I don't think there are any groups that run at Mosport that will let a first-timer (or even a general novice) on track without an instructor. It's just too dangerous. But with one in the car, and assuming you're driving responsibly, there's very little danger in it. Much less than the 401/407/427/QEW to get there. (Literally)
I'm in Toronto. Looks like TMP has an open lapping day next Saturday. It doesn't say which config the track will be running, but the two smaller configurations dont look very interesting -- the big config (+3kms) looks great.

I have a friend who is a very competent racer and instructor -- I am trying to get out with him at some point, tho he's usually racing carts on the wkend so his time is limited. Lots to look forward to!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Christien
Race Car

I've never seen any configuration other than the large one, so I'm sure that's what it'll be. I agree that the smaller ones don't look very interesting. TMP is a slightly lower-speed track due to all the tight turns. (well, not the first couple) I find it's a bit much around the middle of the track. It's got a really fun chicaine, then a tight left hander that I still haven't figured the best line through, but then a super tight hairpin right hander that I find kind of annoying - it's too much like an autocross turn and you have to scrub off too much speed or else you're in the grass. The last turn (or 2 turns, depending on how you take it) is a bit of a weird one, too. But it still beats cleaning the garage on a Saturday...

Quick Reply: Cayuga track day today, anyone else from here go?