Notices

Exotics cruise ---WHAT A BLAST---

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 PM
arshad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not saying everyone drives their exotics daily, but some people do. You picked out the SLR owner and I'm telling you that he is VERY VERY active at Mosport with his cars, including purpose built track cars. He enjoys cars, and he is blessed to be able to enjoy his hobby, so why sit there and generalize and critique his motives?

Can I ask what kind of car you drive? I really hope it's not a sports car because otherwise you're being a hypocrite. Because nobody NEEDS a sports car. There are plenty of much cheaper and more practical cars out there, so why own a sports car?

There's always going to be someone who asks, why buy an F430 when you can buy a Z06? The next person will ask why buy a Z06 when a Mustang is "sporty enough" at a fraction of the price. And the third guy will say "Why showoff in a mustang when you can get from point A to B just fine in a Kia?"

I'm sure there are plenty of people who buy high end cars to show off their wealth. Some of them only put on a few hundred km's a year. Whatever. It's their money they can do whatever they want with it. Sounds like sour grapes to me...
Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Prolly for the best.
+1 exactly
Old 07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
So do people with deep pockets buy exotics because they are enthusiast or because they just can. I'm not implying everyone at the meet is like that but I'm sure there are some guilty parties. By the way, I'm sure the SLR, Lambo and F430 are their daily drives. I have never seen a late model Ferrari or Lambo with more than 10K but than again I could be wrong.
And no thanks to the invite
But, isn't it all relative? Don't you think that most of us Porsche owners look like that to someone struggling to make his payments on his Kia? My C4S is my daily driver, but because my job requires me to spend most of my commuting time with Air Canada, to the uninformed it might come across as a garage queen. C'mon Jake, I'm sure most of us on this forum bought Porsches because we are enthusiasts AND we happen to have deeper pockets than the average person to be able to afford it...be grateful for what you have and don't begrudge those who appear to have more; bad karma. Kudos to whoever brought the SLR...sorry I missed it!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by arshad
Sounds like sour grapes to me...
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
blacknight
Instructor

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Here are the rest of shots, I got from the day.

http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s...slideshow=true
Jumper, nice pics.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Well said, arshad.

Man, if I was only allowed to have stuff I "needed", I don't even know if I'd get out of bed in the morning.

Plus it wouldn't be as nice a bed.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arshad
I'm not saying everyone drives their exotics daily, but some people do. You picked out the SLR owner and I'm telling you that he is VERY VERY active at Mosport with his cars, including purpose built track cars. He enjoys cars, and he is blessed to be able to enjoy his hobby, so why sit there and generalize and critique his motives?

Can I ask what kind of car you drive? I really hope it's not a sports car because otherwise you're being a hypocrite. Because nobody NEEDS a sports car. There are plenty of much cheaper and more practical cars out there, so why own a sports car?

There's always going to be someone who asks, why buy an F430 when you can buy a Z06? The next person will ask why buy a Z06 when a Mustang is "sporty enough" at a fraction of the price. And the third guy will say "Why showoff in a mustang when you can get from point A to B just fine in a Kia?"

I'm sure there are plenty of people who buy high end cars to show off their wealth. Some of them only put on a few hundred km's a year. Whatever. It's their money they can do whatever they want with it. Sounds like sour grapes to me...

100% not sour grapes. I fell in love with the P cars since I first drove one last summer and been saving up and bought a used one 6 months ago. You know the saying you have to ride a bicycle before you can appreciate driving a car. I'm not sure some of these people do. Anyways like I said, I'm not judging , just observation and an opinion. My point is about the event not about wealth and what car to buy if you have deep pockets.
Seems like you're judging me...:-)
Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

To stop the bleeding, I apologize to anyone that is offended. Is just my point of view.
Who cares anyways, I'm a nobody.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
I not judging but you must admitt that there has to be some ego and snobbery at these events.
Who would spend half a mill on an SLR if they are a true car enthusiast, look at it, can it be any flashier (besides the Lambo) . How do you justify paying 3 tmes more for a F430 when the Z06 performs just as good if not better. I guess driving a Ferrari has more status than a Corvette. I personally can't afford either and would never drive a vette even if I could. Just seem pointless to flaunt a rarely driven, freshly washed and wax refined machinery at an event. I guess some just can't wait to be part of it. JMO
its not snobbery and ego. they are lonely and joiners who like the comraderie and attention as well as the social aspect. if it works for them who cares...i agree with you but not your theory.....as well some are whupped and take any excuse to get away from wife and kids. to me FWIW..true car enthusiasts dont stand around with their hooods open, and they dont go on street drives with other lonely guys and gals. thats my HUMBLE opinion. i was at Mosport today on my motorcycle..crashed by the way...many there are the same type..love the attention, love standing around chatting,many were bugging me to look at their machinery...i was more interested in donning leathers and helmet and beating the hell out of my bike...next im getting a shifter kart and doing that..no standing around chatting about my coolness...to each their own...in other words im writing a prescription for 2 ********* to all you GTG people..
Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
its not snobbery and ego. they are lonely and joiners who like the comraderie and attention as well as the social aspect. if it works for them who cares...i agree with you but not your theory.....as well some are whupped and take any excuse to get away from wife and kids. to me FWIW..true car enthusiasts dont stand around with their hooods open, and they dont go on street drives with other lonely guys and gals. thats my HUMBLE opinion. i was at Mosport today on my motorcycle..crashed by the way...many there are the same type..love the attention, love standing around chatting,many were bugging me to look at their machinery...i was more interested in donning leathers and helmet and beating the hell out of my bike...next im getting a shifter kart and doing that..no standing around chatting about my coolness...to each their own...in other words im writing a prescription for 2 ********* to all you GTG people..
noblegt3, wtf. I am sure your going get a rise over this but I just checked and my ***** are quite intack.
I am not afraid to go out and shoot the **** with people that have similar interests.
7 years in the forces of which 2 of them spent out of county on in different countries during our times of conflict , I've lived and have meet many people that are like brothers to me. What takes ***** about driving around a track and not talking to people.
Try spending hours on a plane flying the contours at low altitude, smelling the puke from the guy next to you, so god damn hot that your just dripping sweat and jumping out at 700 ft with 120-150 lbs ruck sack and then after hitting the groud humping 20k through swamps, rain and just plain madness.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:33 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

This is pathetic.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:42 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I was wondering how long it would take Noble, our resident moral compass, to impart his "humble opinion" on us.
Now off to get the popcorn ready for what is sure to be a long thread...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

IMHO to each his own. unless someone is directly affecting me let them do whatever they want. are you 2 guys so bored with your own lives that you must fling s*** at others who are enjoying themselves. why not channel your energy to things that are positive and you enjoy?
by the way that SLR is sweeet!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 PM
eddy915
Instructor

In all honesty, at the first GTG that I went to, I just wanted to check out which exhaust I wanted to get for my car...I expected some people to be pretentious, however, I was pleasantly surprised that everyone was super nice and helpful. I can definitely say I met a bunch of very good people, but unfortunately, I only was able to go to one GTG and the beginning of the Niagara Cruise so far since things have been quite busy for me. I guess sometimes on these boards people just criticize others for no apparent reason...I just find no point in that. However, we do live in a free country and have freedom of speech so I guess we have to respect everyone's opinion regardless if we agree with it or not. You can call me a loser, but I certainly look forward to seeing everyone soon at the GTG's and meeting new people as well. You can never have too many friends. Especially those who have the same interest.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:26 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by jumper5836
noblegt3, wtf. I am sure your going get a rise over this but I just checked and my ***** are quite intack.
I am not afraid to go out and shoot the **** with people that have similar interests.
7 years in the forces of which 2 of them spent out of county on in different countries during our times of conflict , I've lived and have meet many people that are like brothers to me. What takes ***** about driving around a track and not talking to people.
Try spending hours on a plane flying the contours at low altitude, smelling the puke from the guy next to you, so god damn hot that your just dripping sweat and jumping out at 700 ft with 120-150 lbs ruck sack and then after hitting the groud humping 20k through swamps, rain and just plain madness.
sounds like fun

Quick Reply: Exotics cruise ---WHAT A BLAST---