Notices

Exotics cruise ---WHAT A BLAST---

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 01:05 PM
arshad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eddy, you're absolutely right. I happen to be good friends with the guy in the red 430 spyder, and was with him when he handed over a certified cheque for $370k when picking up his car. He has oodles of money. At the same time there was another guy there in a car that's 1/3rd the cost of the F430 but who lives in a much nicer $16M house -- so it's all relative priorities. Some people also have multiple cars and sometimes it's surprising to see what they bring out. For example, the first year we had this event a guy showed up in a F40 kit car on a fiero chassis. Everybody laughed at him thinking he was a poser. The following year he brought his brother and friends to drive his collection of Diablo VT, Testarossa, 360 etc.

In the past we've restricted the event to rarer exotics, ie only a couple of porsches and vettes, primarily Lambo's, NSX's, Ferrari's, FordGT's, etc. This year we opened it up a bit more and had a great turnout of enthusiasts who all share a common passion. Everyone really enjoyed checking out the wide variety of cars, meeting other owners, and of course driving these fantastic machines on some great roads...

BTW, the SLR was a limited edition 722 -- only 3 in Canada.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:00 PM
goldyf355
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
The people who show up at these events....are they really car enthusiast or just attention seekers.
I mean come on, the person who owns a Z06 have nothing in common with someone that paid 3 times more for a F430. It all about $$$. What is with that Mercedes SLR anyways!!!
Actually, everyone there had one thing in common.....they loved cars (or loved someone that did...)!
Value and money didnt enter into the equation from what I saw and heard. I didn't meet the gentleman with the 722, but I know the guy with the C-GT and the guy with the multi-car collection (and friends to drive them,LOL!) and they were exceptionally decent and down-to-earth people. No 'tudes there....

I didn't hear anyone (actually at the event) complain of any atitude or snobbery by any of the participants...and I suspect, it wouldn't have been tolerated if it did occur....
Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM
goldyf355
Track Day

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Long legs and blonde hair....... nice
But, damn those are some pontoon feet and one el grande "Honkin" nose.......
eeeeer, um....It's a good thing she can distract using her long legs and blonde hair.......

Was this really necessary??

I wouldnt be surprised if her boyfriend/husband was on this site, since she came with one of the P-car guys......is this how you openly chat about fellow members or their cruise-mates on this site?

Not to mention....I'd like to see how your girlfriend would stack up against her...
Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 PM
goldyf355
Track Day

Originally Posted by Shemmer
Awesome cruise except for Mr. OPP who was a little discriminating. It was clearly a black P-car thing!!
Great turnout too bad everyone couldn't make it.
Sorry, won't let me paste pics
It was nice to meet you and the other "shemmers"....nice to have the kids and/or wife along if you can. Very nice cars by the way, I will always have a soft spot for the classic 911 turbos...especially in black! I think I saw your pics on F-chat...nice.............and I'm sure you guys will be framing the now infamous "4 black P-cars and the OPP" pics!

Glad you guys didn't get popped by the cops because of some old crusty dude with a cell phone....
Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 PM
goldyf355
Track Day

Wink

Originally Posted by arshad
For example, the first year we had this event a guy showed up in a F40 kit car on a fiero chassis. Everybody laughed at him thinking he was a poser. The following year he brought his brother and friends to drive his collection of Diablo VT, Testarossa, 360 etc.
Ya, I remember that.......and I must admit, guilty as charged!

But, in all fairness, it was mostly because of the 10 or so "drive-bys" that he did first before coming into the lot and joining us.

That guy was a riot, though! Must be great at partys! His antics to start the cruise this last time really gave everyone a good time before we started heading out....and no doubt, some great opening footage for the video production!
Old 07-09-2007, 04:37 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by goldyf355
Was this really necessary??

I wouldnt be surprised if her boyfriend/husband was on this site, since she came with one of the P-car guys......is this how you openly chat about fellow members or their cruise-mates on this site?

Not to mention....I'd like to see how your girlfriend would stack up against her...
well said.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:51 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
well said.
+1.
Really guys, this sort of thing is really contrary to the spirit of our forum, our GTGs and our cruises where everyone should feel welcomed without prejudice. Most of us are thrilled when our spouses enthusiastically want to be a part of our Porsche obsession. This young woman should be applauded (and not criticized) along with all the other lovely ladies that put up with us and our need to congregate in parking lots, spend hours driving in a convoy or use up the better part of our summer weekends at dusty and noisy racetracks.

1Gunner, do the right thing and delete your juvenile and offensive post.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:01 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,173 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
+1.
Really guys, this sort of thing is really contrary to the spirit of our forum, our GTGs and our cruises where everyone should feel welcomed without prejudice. Most of us are thrilled when our spouses enthusiastically want to be a part of our Porsche obsession. This young woman should be applauded (and not criticized) along with all the other lovely ladies that put up with us and our need to congregate in parking lots, spend hours driving in a convoy or use up the better part of our summer weekends at dusty and noisy racetracks.

1Gunner, do the right thing and delete your juvenile and offensive post.
+1

and on the Canadian forum to boot .. how embarasing for us all.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The people who show up at these events....are they really car enthusiast or just attention seekers.
I mean come on, the person who owns a Z06 have nothing in common with someone that paid 3 times more for a F430. It all about $$$. What is with that Mercedes SLR anyways!!!
We live in a country where less than 2% of the population earns about 15% of the income (and pays about a quarter of the taxes). Wealth is way more concentrated here than in the US. I think it's always wise to bear in mind that to the average moke, even my lowly '00 C2 is a dream car that cost more than he could ever hope to spend on a toy. Nobless oblige, boys.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I not judging but you must admitt that there has to be some ego and snobbery at these events.
Who would spend half a mill on an SLR if they are a true car enthusiast, look at it, can it be any flashier (besides the Lambo) . How do you justify paying 3 tmes more for a F430 when the Z06 performs just as good if not better. I guess driving a Ferrari has more status than a Corvette. I personally can't afford either and would never drive a vette even if I could. Just seem pointless to flaunt a rarely driven, freshly washed and wax refined machinery at an event. I guess some just can't wait to be part of it. JMO
Old 07-09-2007, 06:30 PM
arshad
AutoX

I not judging but you must admitt that there has to be some ego and snobbery at these events.
Who would spend half a mill on an SLR if they are a true car enthusiast, look at it, can it be any flashier (besides the Lambo) . How do you justify paying 3 tmes more for a F430 when the Z06 performs just as good if not better. I guess driving a Ferrari has more status than a Corvette. I personally can't afford either and would never drive a vette even if I could. Just seem pointless to flaunt a rarely driven, freshly washed and wax refined machinery at an event. I guess some just can't wait to be part of it. JMO
That's the thing -- there's really no ego or snobbery at all! Everyone's a car enthusiast and enjoy checking out all the different types of rides. This was not a show and shine, it was an all day cruise that started at 9am and ended around 6:30pm.

As far as the SLR owner goes, he happens to have a bucketload of money and multiple exotics -- why criticize his choice of car? He was considering bringing the Gallardo but thought that others might enjoy seeing the 722 since it's so rare.

If there's anyone who is a true enthusiast it's this guy. He HEAVILY tracks and daily drives all of his cars, including the 722. People who only pull out their Ferrari's and park them in Yorkville on Sundays are not the guys who come out to an all day event where you're going to put 400km's on your car and pick up a few stone chips. The guys at events like these are the ones who truly love to drive their cars...

Rather than criticize, I think you should come out to one of these events and see how it really is. I can assure you that you're completely off base...
Old 07-09-2007, 06:38 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Easy there cowboy, man this thread went to crap quick. First time I've seen a bad thread on the Canadian section.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not Criticizing, just an opinion. If it was a show and shine I can understand but that is exactly my point...its not. So do people with deep pockets buy exotics because they are enthusiast or because they just can. I'm not implying everyone at the meet is like that but I'm sure there are some guilty parties. By the way, I'm sure the SLR, Lambo and F430 are their daily drives. I have never seen a late model Ferrari or Lambo with more than 10K but than again I could be wrong.
And no thanks to the invite
Old 07-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 838 Likes on 384 Posts

And no thanks to the invite
Prolly for the best.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 838 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Long legs and blonde hair....... nice
But, damn those are some pontoon feet and one el grande "Honkin" nose.......
eeeeer, um....It's a good thing she can distract using her long legs and blonde hair.......

Where did this come from? Do you beat puppies in your spare time? Didn't your parents tell you that if you don't have anything nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all?

Quick Reply: Exotics cruise ---WHAT A BLAST---