Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:55 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Here's the law:
Highway Traffic Act of Ontario

79,1 In this section, "speed measuring warning device" means and device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to warn the driver of the presence of speed measuring equipment in the vicinity and includes any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to interfere with the effective operation of speed measuring equipment.

79,2 No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with or that carries or contains a speed measuring warning device.

79,3 A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable ground to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle.

Fines range up to $1,000, and seem to be in the officer's discretion. There are no demerit points. Because it's a HTA regulation, there is certainly the chance that your insurance company could find out, but there really isn't any clear scoop on that. Confiscation is the norm, and I've heard many stories of people who have had their detectors confiscated but received no ticket, and others where they've had the book thrown at them. The officers seem to make these calls very situationally. What's important to remember is that they have the right to search, with reasonable grounds being anything from sudden unexplained braking to a Specter ping.
This law is pathetic, I can't believe we let these law pass even though they are going against people rights. This type of device is not hurting anyone and this just give the authorities the opportunity to lawfully seize and search any one. This is not reasonable and doesn't make sense.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
that would make sense. Since you're not really informed of the illegality of radar detectors till you see the sign as you enter ontario, they can't just take a foreigner's stuff if has it in the car and it's disconnected. For all the cops know, he uses it every day back home and its his first visit up here.

I'd just leave it unpluged in the trunk or something.
And what if he was coming from a country were automatic weapons are legal?
Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the problem is you all wish you were me so you drive fast and try to look good for the ladies....oh yeah.....awwwwrriigghtt....
except this guy who could drive the space shuttle and still not get laid without paying for it
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2007, 03:06 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

But seriously.
I had a woman in a mini van pass / swerve past me (I was in the fast lane with traffic in front of me) 3 lanes to the right on the 401 while eating a sandwich today. Eratic lane changes, no signal etc.
You could tell if she ever had to react quickly she would have taken a couple of us out.

What about the fast lane having a minimum 120 kph / maximum 160 kph?

Also people with either stuffed toys or kleenex boxes in their rear window should not be allowed in the fast lane!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:18 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
But seriously.
I had a woman in a mini van pass / swerve past me (I was in the fast lane with traffic in front of me) 3 lanes to the right on the 401 while eating a sandwich today. Eratic lane changes, no signal etc.
You could tell if she ever had to react quickly she would have taken a couple of us out.

What about the fast lane having a minimum 120 kph / maximum 160 kph?

Also people with either stuffed toys or kleenex boxes in their rear window should not be allowed in the fast lane!
is this serious enough for ya..
Attached Images   
Old 07-05-2007, 03:22 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Except these ones...
Stuffed Animals
Old 07-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CN
Except these ones...
Stuffed Animals
That's awesome!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:24 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Originally Posted by CN
Except these ones...
Stuffed Animals
Too funny.

Do you have one with kleenex boxes doing it?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:30 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I believe you are allowed to have the detector stored not in the passenger compartment (in the trunk) while driving...where does it say this in the law?
My understanding is that the only 'legal' possession would be of the detector in its unopened, original packaging. I think that if you take stock of the number of guys who've tried to get away with unplugging it and tossing it in the back seat and not succeeded, it would support that.

There is a story that the officer is not allowed to search your person for the device, and this is technically true from what I can gather. But I know a couple of guys who tried stuffing them down their pants and the cop sort of unnerved them into giving it up.

I think that it doesn't make sense to play games with an officer. The have all kinds of discretionary powers they can use at the roadside to ruin your day. If I'd been caught with mine, I'd have handed it over as soon as he walked up to the car. I'd rather be seen as a basically law respecting middle aged guy who was being naughty than be seen as a habitual outlaw with an attitude.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:34 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
...they can't just take a foreigner's stuff if has it in the car and it's disconnected...
Oh yes they can. The law is meant to ban these things, and the assumption is that a visitor will find out what the law is in Ontario and respect it. Same as if you were talking about a visiting American with an assault rifle, or a visiting Dutch person with an ounce of hash.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^mm...dutch people
Old 07-07-2007, 01:57 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Yeah, whats with the Dutch people and the hash anyway. I keep asking my visiting relatives and they go like, whaaa. No luck yet.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
Yeah, whats with the Dutch people and the hash anyway. I keep asking my visiting relatives and they go like, whaaa. No luck yet.
Hash Taxi's in the 'Dam .... any Dam...
Old 07-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

I believe that using a radar detector is illegal but having it in the trunk is allowed, just like a bottle of sealed, but open alcohol can be in trunk. if you really don't want mr officer to take your radar :keep an envelope with postage, adressed in tthe car and put the radar in it when being pulled over. it has been suggested that they can't search sealed mail. I would never do this but have read this. better off to enjoy speed at the track.

Quick Reply: Street Racing - where's or who's the root of the problem