Notices

Street Racing - where's or who's the root of the problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Look, gov't has never been known for getting to the root of a problem to fix it. Tt's one of the simple yet fatal flaws of democracy - these people will lose their jobs is they try to do something that doesn't have quick results and sex appeal. Forget long term solutions like education campaigns, etc. at least coming from the gov't. It took 2 generations for smoking to become uncool. 20 some odd years to make drunk driving seem uncool and stupid in the eyes of youth. All this saber rattling about curbing street racing (pun intended) is just elected dopes puffing their chests. A real solution will come from those who don't depend on elections for their jobs. Things like long-term education campaigns. The only solution politicians will give will be easy answers - more police, more speeding tickets, photo radar, etc. And classifying anyone speeding more than 50 km/h over the limit as street racing Way to go Fantino. That shows real insight.

If the police really, truly believe that speed is a safety issue, I challenge them to put their money where their mouth is. Drop the financial penalty of the ticket to refute challenges that speeding tickets are a cash grab, and drastically raise the demerit point penalty. Something like first ticket <20 km/h over is 6 demerit points. 2nd ticket within say 2 years is an automatic 30 day license suspension. 3rd is a year's suspension, etc. More along the lines of drunk driving penalties.

Better yet, raise the driving age to 18 or 21. I've been saying that since I was 16. Honestly. I started driving at 17 and thought it was crazy that a lot of my friends were able to drive.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:06 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

These are not the days of the horse and buggy, 100 km/hour = too slow. They need to raise the speed limit.
Just saw on the citytv they will be imposing a 105 max limit for big rigs.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Christien
Race Car

Our roads were designed for and speed limits set for the cars of the 50s and 60s. Technology has improved the safety of paving surfaces, guardrails, shoulders and of course cars. The only thing that hasn't kept pace is speed limits.

However, we digress. I don't think speed limits and their violation have anything to do with street racing. Despite what Fantino may think. It wouldn't be the first time he's done something stupid.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:24 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At what point does speeding become stupid driving? 100 is too slow I agree... but apparently 150 is the point where you can get your car crushed! I dunno...
Old 07-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Street Racing and reckless driving goes hand in hand, anytime you put others in danger.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:35 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Education is the key. Until the next generation of drivers start to condemn street racing as uncool, like they've done with smoking, racism, gay bashing, etc... nothing in the way Fantino and company does with fines and fear mongering will have any effect whatsoever. My daughter went through the full Young Driver's of Canada program and although it is far from perfect in its approach, she's come away from the course with very little respect for those who drive like idiots around her. As I wrote earlier on, in many EU countries where the speed limits are designed to help not hinder people in their ability to get from A to B, the fines are pretty harsh if you exceed those limits and they are often accompanied by an automatic license suspension. Even in Germany the Autobahn isn't totally unrestricted; there are many, many sections where speed limits are posted (for various safety, noise & environmental reasons) and very strictly enforced. While Europe is not immune to it's share of street racing morons, the problem is not as prevalent as it is in North America. So what's the difference? Harder to get your license with more intensive testing and education, generally 18 yrs min age for driving, realistic speed limits, and penalties designed to act as deterents rather than solely as revenue generators.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Our roads were designed for and speed limits set for the cars of the 50s and 60s. Technology has improved the safety of paving surfaces, guardrails, shoulders and of course cars. The only thing that hasn't kept pace is speed limits.

However, we digress. I don't think speed limits and their violation have anything to do with street racing. Despite what Fantino may think. It wouldn't be the first time he's done something stupid.
As far as I know the 400 series highways have a design speed of 140km/h. Thsi is from when they were actually first designed and built. I clearly remember one of the instructors saying this during a lecture, back when I was in college. This was just before the 407 was opened. The 100km/h is a very artificial peed limit and the highways can easily handle much more. Drivers tent to travel at speeds that they feel comfortable at and this is very clear during rush hour. If the traffic flow is good, between Cambridge and Brampton, on the 401, the average speed in the “fast” lane is 130-135km/h. Also, just look at the 403 between Brantford and Woodstock. There is hardly any traffic, it’s straight as a arrow with very wide right-of-ways and wide bridges. I’ve caught myself several times unintentionally going 140km/h, because it felt like a comfortable speed for the conditions.
The speed limits should be raised to at least 120km/h.

The speed limit in most of the EU countries is 120km/h.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Christien
Race Car

I see 10x the speed traps on the 403 between Brantford and Woodstock than I do on the QEW or 401, where driving is MUCH more dangerous. There was an article in the Spectator a year or so ago that said the eastbound QEW between Hamilton and Toronto is the least ticketed of all 400-series highways. Why? Because police feel unsafe pulling people over. Un-f#$king-believable.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:57 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
As far as I know the 400 series highways have a design speed of 140km/h. Thsi is from when they were actually first designed and built. I clearly remember one of the instructors saying this during a lecture, back when I was in college. This was just before the 407 was opened. The 100km/h is a very artificial peed limit and the highways can easily handle much more. Drivers tent to travel at speeds that they feel comfortable at and this is very clear during rush hour. If the traffic flow is good, between Cambridge and Brampton, on the 401, the average speed in the “fast” lane is 130-135km/h. Also, just look at the 403 between Brantford and Woodstock. There is hardly any traffic, it’s straight as a arrow with very wide right-of-ways and wide bridges. I’ve caught myself several times unintentionally going 140km/h, because it felt like a comfortable speed for the conditions.
The speed limits should be raised to at least 120km/h.

The speed limit in most of the EU countries is 120km/h.
The speed limit in other parts of Canada is 120. Do the cops actually give out tickets on the 401 for 120? But in the end, the speed limit isn't the issue, it's the drivers that think they are some kind of hot shoe and that the street is a race track. No matter how fast traffic was going, they would want to weave in and out of as much of it as they could. A buddy of mine that used to live here owned a 2001 M5. He was the most reckless person I've ever seen on a public road such as driving 230kph on the 416, purposely trying to scare other traffic, etc (I've always refused to ride in his car). He is in his late 30's and well educated, but he's also a sociopath. The point of street racing is that they want to street race. They want to break the law and look 'cool' to their friends. Ever drive past a high school? A lot of the kids still smoke.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:17 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The problem with all this speed limit talk is that public highways have to be regulated for the lowest common denominator drivers, AND the lowest common denominator cars. And if you think about it, you might come to the conclusion that this is not a bad policy.

Train people to drive properly and recertify them regularly. Recertify vehicles for mechanical fitness every few years. And outlaw cell phone use or any sort of multitasking for that matter, and then it won't only be guys like us that can handle higher speeds. It will be the lowest common denominator, too, and then we've got a case for changing the law.

Until then, whenever I see some dolt talking on his/her cell phone, playing with his/her nav, reading the newspaper, fixing makeup or mining for boogers at 140kph, riding on their space saver spare in a car that has five year old brake fluid coursing through its veins, I think we're all a bit safer if I have to take my chances with John Law. I mean seriously... hands up anybody who's been passed on the 407 by a minivan on S-rated tires, or seen some incompetently modded Civic get air over the Humber Hump and bounce up and down for the next two kilometers. Do we really need to encourage these morons with higher speed limits?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjanes
The speed limit in other parts of Canada is 120. Do the cops actually give out tickets on the 401 for 120? But in the end, the speed limit isn't the issue, it's the drivers that think they are some kind of hot shoe and that the street is a race track. No matter how fast traffic was going, they would want to weave in and out of as much of it as they could. A buddy of mine that used to live here owned a 2001 M5. He was the most reckless person I've ever seen on a public road such as driving 230kph on the 416, purposely trying to scare other traffic, etc (I've always refused to ride in his car). He is in his late 30's and well educated, but he's also a sociopath. The point of street racing is that they want to street race. They want to break the law and look 'cool' to their friends. Ever drive past a high school? A lot of the kids still smoke.
I was over at a friends body shop a few months back and there was a S2000 wrecked and written off. Apparantly it was just there 2 weeks ago for a $15K repair due to reckless driving on the 401. Guess who was the driver.....a Lawyer in his late 40s. The one bad apple spoils the entire barrel.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by BruceP
The problem with all this speed limit talk is that public highways have to be regulated for the lowest common denominator drivers, AND the lowest common denominator cars.
Why can't we have different rated licenses for different classes of drivers, permitting different speeds? Different license plates to denote the different classes.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Why can't we have different rated licenses for different classes of drivers, permitting different speeds? Different license plates to denote the different classes.
I love the idea as much as you do. But the fact is that even if we have different licenses, we can't have different roads. The sad truth is that minimizing the speed differential between good and bad drivers promotes safety. If I'm driving along at a supralegal 120 and someone makes an unsignalled lane change in front of me at 100, it will be less catastrophic than if I was doing 160, no matter how good a driver I am.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Sputter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intill we can legislate common sense there isn't much to be done aside from issuing careless driving tickets and loss of licence.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Because we live in a democracy and the majority are cell phone talking, makeup applying dolts that don't want to have to maintain their cars or do multiple drivers tests. Last winter, a woman here in Ottawa caused a multi car pile up because she was changing from her winter boots to her work shoes while trying to merge onto the Queensway. Sometimes, you just need to take someones car and crush it (with them in it).

Quick Reply: Street Racing - where's or who's the root of the problem