Notices

Street Racing - where's or who's the root of the problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:39 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I think that having the speed limit so low is actually causing accidents. It makes people feel comfortable enough to not pay attention to the road and to do other things.
People should be somewhat afraid to get on the highway. They should pay attention and not drive in the fast lane unless passing.
Having speed limits set higher like 140 will make everyone better drivers. It would force them to be better drivers. We are to leanant on the slackers and stupid people. Enforce rules to get them off the road or to afraid to get on it.
120 is still way to low. Half these incendents of racing are just actualy aggresive drivers and most of the sane ones wouldn't be aggressive it the limits were raised.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be very careful when exceeding the speed limit on the city streets. A cop friend told me that some of his counterparts are tagging all speeders as "racers" to make a statement. They are taking their authority over the line and you could become a scape goat.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a good day on the 401, 407 and 404 north (especially 404 north untill you get out of toronto and into aurora which is ticket heaven), i get flashed at for doing 130 in the slow lane and honked at for doing 100-110! the average friggin cruising speed on the 400 series seeems to be 130-140 and our cars now have taller gears and better equipment that they can do those speeds with no real drop in fuel economy or saftey.

either raise the limit or ticket the 10 cars infront and behind of me if ur gonna pull me over. any other course of action means that you're a goat bastard who should be busted down to bylaw enforcement.

*end of late night rennlist rant*
Old 07-04-2007, 11:53 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, Omar, you tell that to the next cop that pulls you over, then call me when you need someone to haul your *** out of jail!
Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
On a good day on the 401, 407 and 404 north (especially 404 north untill you get out of toronto and into aurora which is ticket heaven), i get flashed at for doing 130 in the slow lane and honked at for doing 100-110! the average friggin cruising speed on the 400 series seeems to be 130-140 and our cars now have taller gears and better equipment that they can do those speeds with no real drop in fuel economy or saftey.

either raise the limit or ticket the 10 cars infront and behind of me if ur gonna pull me over. any other course of action means that you're a goat bastard who should be busted down to bylaw enforcement.

*end of late night rennlist rant*
Further to your comments, they should bust all the idiots in the left lane who are driving at the same speed as those in the right lanes. Traffic problems are primarily caused by those who can't drive
Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

lol..i've never been pulled over for speeding, its the rolling stops that get me, and they seem to always drop their cases.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:56 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the fine for using a radar detector in Ontario?
Old 07-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CN
Further to your comments, they should bust all the idiots in the left lane who are driving at the same speed as those in the right lanes. Traffic problems are primarily caused by those who can't drive
tru say
that does it......crazy super rennlist government lobby group activate!
*cue transformers music in background as we done our costumes*
Old 07-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Daredevil: the fines are very very high (4 figure cash penalties and possible lisense suspensions i htink). It is not however, illegal to use nightvision and lazer range finding equipment....so if you're speeding, make sure u have a co-driver with you to spot charlies before you're within range
Old 07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
What is the fine for using a radar detector in Ontario?
Here's the law:
Highway Traffic Act of Ontario

79,1 In this section, "speed measuring warning device" means and device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to warn the driver of the presence of speed measuring equipment in the vicinity and includes any device or equipment designed or intended for use in a motor vehicle to interfere with the effective operation of speed measuring equipment.

79,2 No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle that is equipped with or that carries or contains a speed measuring warning device.

79,3 A police officer may at any time, without a warrant, stop, enter and search a motor vehicle that he or she has reasonable ground to believe is equipped with or carries or contains a speed measuring warning device contrary to subsection (2) and may seize and take away any speed measuring warning device found in or upon the motor vehicle.

Fines range up to $1,000, and seem to be in the officer's discretion. There are no demerit points. Because it's a HTA regulation, there is certainly the chance that your insurance company could find out, but there really isn't any clear scoop on that. Confiscation is the norm, and I've heard many stories of people who have had their detectors confiscated but received no ticket, and others where they've had the book thrown at them. The officers seem to make these calls very situationally. What's important to remember is that they have the right to search, with reasonable grounds being anything from sudden unexplained braking to a Specter ping.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

79.1 is awfully broad - technically, the driver's own eyes could be construed as a "device...intended...to warn the driver of the presence of speed measuring equipment". What about people travelling into Ontario from regions where detectors are legal, who have them hardwired in? So long as they're not using them, that shouldn't be in contravention of the law.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:41 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Shouldn't be, but it is. From what I've heard, they love nailing visitors from the States.

The bigger issue in this law for me is warrantless search. It's existed in law for, like, ever that police can search without a warrant if they have reason to believe there might be illicit drugs, liquor or weapons in a vehicle or premises. Apart from weapons, that always felt a bit fascist to me. But to allow warrantless search for something that's designed to avoid speeding tickets really doesn't seem like a good constitutional tradeoff to me.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

I believe you are allowed to have the detector stored not in the passenger compartment (in the trunk) while driving...where does it say this in the law?
Old 07-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I believe you are allowed to have the detector stored not in the passenger compartment (in the trunk) while driving...where does it say this in the law?
that would make sense. Since you're not really informed of the illegality of radar detectors till you see the sign as you enter ontario, they can't just take a foreigner's stuff if has it in the car and it's disconnected. For all the cops know, he uses it every day back home and its his first visit up here.

I'd just leave it unpluged in the trunk or something.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to continue a little off-topic...
I've been caught twice by way of a radar detector-detector (RDD). The first time it was confiscated, the second it was confiscated with a fine, about $150, don't recall the exact amount - it was some time ago. Ironically, both times I was caught I wasn't speeding.

FWIW the only RD to have in Ontario (at the moment) is the BEL Sti Driver. Undetectable even at point-blank range (Spectre & VG-2 RDDs). No issues as of yet.

Quick Reply: Street Racing - where's or who's the root of the problem