Recall clearance letter source

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:06 PM
shinrai
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Recall clearance letter source

Hi all,
I've recently purchased a vehicle in the U.S. and can't find a clear answer on where to source a "recall clearance letter."
Some posts say that a dealer must provide one. Others say that PCNA must provide one. One post even says that a clear CarFax report showing no recalls is good enough. What's the correct answer? If PCNA must do it does anybody have the link to download a form?
tia
Old 05-05-2007, 03:35 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless things have changed since I brought mine across last November, you need to get the recall clearance letter from a dealer (need to see the dealer logo on the letterhead) and signed by a representative @ the dealer.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 PM
rebe1
Racer

Got mine from the authorized Porsche dealer that was selling my car, but if not purchased from an authorized Porsche dealer, I believe you must obtain one from PCNA.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:58 PM
George Chrisite
Intermediate

Got mine from PCNA, Faxed it within a couple of day..gc
Old 05-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

PCNA or Dealer letterhead are always acceptable. Clean carfax is often acceptable, but it depends on the individual RIV examiner.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:41 PM
ientre9y11
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got mine from PCNA.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:17 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ientre9y11
I got mine from PCNA.
Call PCNA in Atlanta - they faxed it the next day for me about a month ago..
Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

The rules this week are as follows..........sarcasm intentional.

RIV will not accept CARFAX.........this is straight from CARLOS PINEDA the head technical inspector at RIV. It will get bounced back.

RIV will no longer accept US dealer letters either. They also get bounced back.

You only have 2 choices.....the PCNA letter or a copy of the relevant computer screen from a Porsche dealer showing no oustanding campaigns with their stamp on it.

If you send me a PM with your fax.......I will fax you the "Letter of Compliance" request form used by PCNA. You must fax this in with your bill of sale.

It is much easier to get the recall screen printed out.....if you bought your car from a US dealer this is the best route.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:31 PM
shinrai
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

O.k.
contacted pcna and they took my info and then said that my name has to be on the proof of ownership before they send it out. as i understand the ontario dmv requires this recall clearance letter to change the ownership over and give me temp plates. other than calling them back and giving them a fake name (the one on the current ownership...lol) what is the legit way of driving this car back from ny?
tia
Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Dealer plates

Seriously, though, PCNA should accept a signed bill of sale between yourself and the seller because, as you said, you need the letter to transfer the title. The procedure through PCNA is call 1-800-PORSCHE, they'll fax you a form, fill it in, fax back, wait. Wait more.

You can drive the car back without the title being in your name, but you will need insurance and some kind of plate. You can get a trip permit from the MTO (good for 10 days, IIRC) without the recall letter - you'll need the signed bill of sale and proof of insurance (and I believe the Form 1, but maybe that's later when you finally register it - can't remember). In fact, the whole point of the trip permit is to do safety, e-test and RIV inspection.

Have you read this?
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=288322
Old 05-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Once the compliance letter for the particular VIN is obtained ( PCNA, although on a Dealer letterhead print out worked for me), copies of it and the Transport Can Form 1 stamped approved by Canada Customs are faxed to RIV ( two different numbers, which they provide). Mere days later, they issue Form 2 .... which details which steps must be done to pass Compliance at an approved inspection site. Once that is done - and not before, the MVI, etc can be done .... and then off to pay the PST and Title fees at the Provincial office.

Several days later, RIV issue the 'approved' black sticker to be slapped on the left door post.
All in all, the process was quite smooth.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:24 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Except the customs guys didn't send the recall letter for me. I had to do that myself, and RIV held up my form 2 for quite a while waiting for it. I was away on business so I didn't know they were waiting for me.

Once I did fax it I had the form 2 the next morning via email though (pdf file). And everytime I telephoned a live person answered the phone right away and gave me fast straight answers. No complaints.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by YYC930
The rules this week are as follows..........sarcasm intentional.

RIV will not accept CARFAX.........this is straight from CARLOS PINEDA the head technical inspector at RIV. It will get bounced back.

RIV will no longer accept US dealer letters either. They also get bounced back.

You only have 2 choices.....the PCNA letter or a copy of the relevant computer screen from a Porsche dealer showing no oustanding campaigns with their stamp on it.

If you send me a PM with your fax.......I will fax you the "Letter of Compliance" request form used by PCNA. You must fax this in with your bill of sale.

It is much easier to get the recall screen printed out.....if you bought your car from a US dealer this is the best route.
What a bunch of coconuts! Two weeks ago the US Dealer letter worked. I'm bringing one in on Friday, I'll report back next week what's acceptable!

Talk about a moving target!
Old 05-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

US Dealership worked for me, as well. (Paramount in Hickory, NC)
Old 05-11-2007, 04:17 AM
dondada
AutoX

I was issued a letter by the dealer (just bought my 987S a couple weeks ago) and I am taking it to CT tommorow...I will let you know how it goes. From what I read on the net it seems to be at the discretion of specific CT's and whether they are in the mood to accept dealer letters or PCNA only....I think the phase of the moon plays a part too
Will post how it goes on fri evening.....

Quick Reply: Recall clearance letter source