Notices

BRG88 Mosport Days

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Default BRG88 Mosport Days

So this past weekend was the first of BRG88's lapping days at Mosport. What a great weekend. These guys seem to have really gotten it right. Two run groups, beginner and advanced. Advanced was almost all track-prepped cars, really going fast. There was a small team testing a really wild-looking Viper (though still mostly stock, apparently), he was turning 1:25 laps. The beginner group (including me) was a broad range of experiences, from guys who were out there for the first time up to what would probably be equivalent to PCA Blue (or is it white? the middle experience group). But the traffic was so light it was no big deal. I was probably in the middle, judging by how much I passed and was passed. Of course, my turn signals get a good workout on the back straight. All 135 horses take a while to crest that big hill!

Saturday there were 5 cars in the beginner group, Sunday there were maybe 8 or 10. But the great thing - 45 minute sessions. I loved that because I could go out for 15 or 20 minutes, come in to the pits, rest and debrief with the instructor, then go back out for another 20 minutes to work on what we talked about while it was still fresh in my head.

Personally, I really made a lot of progress this weekend. I think even though this was my 2nd trip to Mosport after the crash, I was still kind of spooked in 5. By Sat. afternoon I think I'd finally exorcised those demons, plus shook off the cobwebs of the winter, so by Sunday I was really pushing through 2 and 5. By the end of Sunday I was flat out on the throttle by the bottom of 2, with a huge-*** grin from ear to ear. Of course switching from street tires to track tires (Pirelli P6000s to RA1s) made a huge difference, esp. in 5.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend these days for anyone, regardless of experience level. I think it's a nice compromise between the overly-strict PCA and the wild-west of Dexter. They're very safety conscious, and there are enough rules in place to ensure this, but no more. I do enjoy the social aspect of the PCA days (I'm going this weekend), but 4 25 min. sessions in one day is just way too little time to really improve skills. I like the unlimited time of Dexter, but it's really more suited to more advanced drivers.

Oh yeah, the website is group88.ca
Old 05-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Christien
Race Car

Couple (self-indulgent!) pics from the weekend:

Last edited by Christien; 02-04-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

You get what you pay for.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christien
the wild-west of Dexter.
completely ignorant stupid and uninformed comment...dexter has less incidents than PCA does.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Christien
Race Car

Not ignorant and uninformed, I'm speaking from my own experience. It's definitely true, as I've witnessed myself, that PCA has more incidents than Dexter, but I think the Dexter format of open track unintentionally encourages newbies to push themselves too hard, because of the much more experienced and thus faster drivers out there. That was sure the case with the boxster S that is no more. Just way too much speed through 2, being chased by other cars, he panicked and lifted.

I'm not saying it's Howard's fault, it's just the nature of the day. It's more suited to advanced drivers, and mixing newbies with guys out there testing and tuning for racing isn't a good idea.

Of all the incidents I've witnessed, almost all have been by the more experienced drivers. The only inexperienced crashes I've seen were at dexter. There was even a roll-over this past weekend at BRG, by someone who probably should've known better than to be driving on slicks in the wet. So yeah, I'm definitely speaking from my own (admittedly somewhat limited) experience.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:03 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Not ignorant and uninformed, I'm speaking from my own experience. It's definitely true, as I've witnessed myself, that PCA has more incidents than Dexter, but I think the Dexter format of open track unintentionally encourages newbies to push themselves too hard, because of the much more experienced and thus faster drivers out there. That was sure the case with the boxster S that is no more. Just way too much speed through 2, being chased by other cars, he panicked and lifted.

I'm not saying it's Howard's fault, it's just the nature of the day. It's more suited to advanced drivers, and mixing newbies with guys out there testing and tuning for racing isn't a good idea.

Of all the incidents I've witnessed, almost all have been by the more experienced drivers. The only inexperienced crashes I've seen were at dexter. There was even a roll-over this past weekend at BRG, by someone who probably should've known better than to be driving on slicks in the wet. So yeah, I'm definitely speaking from my own (admittedly somewhat limited) experience.
still makes no sense...if one has less incidents than the other how is the one with less crashes the wild west.....like saying one city has more murders than the other but i feel safer in the higher murder rate city. lets stick to facts and not assumptions. there is no passing in turns at dexter ...why would anyone panic and lift,and how did you prove that? onboard telemetry?? if you are scared just admit it but dont throw the term wild west out there because you "feel" that way. stick to facts
Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Kirk930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 05-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Christien
Race Car

Ok, fair enough. Maybe wild west is a bit too extreme a term for it. You're absolutely right, I have no proof of the guy panicking and lifting, I'm just repeating what I was told - it could be complete bull****, but it does make sense.

I have no problem admitting I don't feel comfortable out there with the "big boys". Not quite scared, just more distracted and conscious of other people, when I need to be paying attention to what I'm doing, not what's in my rearview mirror. At BRG I was originally placed in the advanced group because of the experience I've got. When I saw the metal being driven in the advanced group, I asked to be put in the beginner group - it just made more sense. I ended up being in the middle of the pack, experience-wise.

As such, I prefer having at least two run groups to separate the really fast guys from the guys like me.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Christien
Race Car

Kirk, stop eating popcorn and get that 930 out to one of these events!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM
underpsi
Instructor

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
still makes no sense...if one has less incidents than the other how is the one with less crashes the wild west.....like saying one city has more murders than the other but i feel safer in the higher murder rate city. lets stick to facts and not assumptions. there is no passing in turns at dexter ...why would anyone panic and lift,and how did you prove that? onboard telemetry?? if you are scared just admit it but dont throw the term wild west out there because you "feel" that way. stick to facts

PCA has 5 run groups which averages 15-20 cars per group, whereas Dexter or other track lapping days only have maybe 20-30 cars in total; you do the math..
Old 05-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Christien
Race Car

Actually, I'm really losing faith in the PCA way of doing things. Sure, the social aspect is nice, but for 4 x 25 min. runs per day, it's barely worth it for the seat time. 2 nights in a hotel, a weekend away from the family, $300 registration plus gas/maintenance.

Why does PCA allow so many entrants that they need 5 run groups? If they have that many people wanting to come out, why not host 2 or 3 times as many events in the summer and limit them to 20 or so cars? They do make money off these events - not much, but it certainly isn't putting them in the red.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:00 PM
webbie
Pro

@Christien, sounds like a good group to run with. How do you find the quality of the BRG instructors? Do they go the extra miles to help you to improve your skill?

Some instructors I had before (with other groups) just sat there and said "good driving". I would rather have them telling me that I sux and need to do this and that...
Old 05-01-2007, 04:01 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by underpsi
PCA has 5 run groups which averages 15-20 cars per group, whereas Dexter or other track lapping days only have maybe 20-30 cars in total; you do the math..
dexter has open lapping all day with no groups and more than 20 to 30 cars..... a dexter lapper would do 10 times the mileage of a PCA weenie...you do the math and then sit down and shhhhhhhh
Old 05-01-2007, 04:05 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Actually, I'm really losing faith in the PCA way of doing things. Sure, the social aspect is nice, but for 4 x 25 min. runs per day, it's barely worth it for the seat time. 2 nights in a hotel, a weekend away from the family, $300 registration plus gas/maintenance.

Why does PCA allow so many entrants that they need 5 run groups? If they have that many people wanting to come out, why not host 2 or 3 times as many events in the summer and limit them to 20 or so cars? They do make money off these events - not much, but it certainly isn't putting them in the red.
PCA is set up to make slow guys feel fast and new guys feel they need the PCA "expertise" to keep them safe. Speed and skill arent cultivated,compliance and obedience is.
i have said it before Bob Rouleau,Keith Carter and Bruce Gregory are good Drivers and not uptight in a PCA way....the rest i dont have much time for.
If you want to talk about your new carbon shifter while being told how much you need PCA...go
Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Ok, fair enough. Maybe wild west is a bit too extreme a term for it. You're absolutely right, I have no proof of the guy panicking and lifting, I'm just repeating what I was told - it could be complete bull****, but it does make sense.

I have no problem admitting I don't feel comfortable out there with the "big boys". Not quite scared, just more distracted and conscious of other people, when I need to be paying attention to what I'm doing, not what's in my rearview mirror. At BRG I was originally placed in the advanced group because of the experience I've got. When I saw the metal being driven in the advanced group, I asked to be put in the beginner group - it just made more sense. I ended up being in the middle of the pack, experience-wise.

As such, I prefer having at least two run groups to separate the really fast guys from the guys like me.
everyone has an opinion on an accident after the fact and they are usually wrong...driver error is 99%...lifting is the favorite catchword but rarely matters.sometimes **** just happens..no reason why.......
concentrate on driving..check your mirrors only in passing zones...whats the problem with that?
COWBOY UP!!!

Quick Reply: BRG88 Mosport Days