Question re: Shipping a Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re: Shipping a Boxster

Dear Rennlisters,

I'm new to the board and this has been an absolutely fantastic resource for my latest obsession -- owning a p-car. It all started a month ago when a friend set up a tour at the Porsche factory in Leipzig... including a test drive around the test track in a GT3. Wow.

Anyway, I'm going to be buying a friend's car from California -- and in an attempt to save the sales tax, I'm going to ship it to Blaine or Vancouver. I've been reading and researching about the export/import process, and I'm getting quotes for various shippers. Here's my latest question (and thanks in advance):

For a Boxster, would be ok to have it shipped in an un-enclosed truck? I'm worried about the canvas roof getting soaked. It will be moved from CA to WA/BC in December -- prime rain and snow season...

As always, your opinions are great appreciated.

Jonn

ps: I can't wait...

pps: everyone I've PM'ed over the past week have responded within a couple of days. Awesome!

Last edited by Ipecac; 11-16-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Jonn,

I had my boxster shipped in unenclosed, and it was fine. (though a bit dirty!) I'm not sure how shipping it into BC will save taxes - you'll have to pay GST at the border (no matter what your point of entry) and you'll have to pay PST in whatever province you're in when you register the title in your name.

Here's a primer I wrote on importing Porsches from the US:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=288322

Good luck, and congrats!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:11 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

John, if I were you, I would have the trucker deliver the car to your door step (and deal with the Customs paperwork for you). Worth every penny!
As far as enclosed vs unenclosed, I have experienced both: enclosed when it arrived in Canada (moving from Houston to Toronto) but unenclosed when I first bought it (and shipped doen to Houston fvrom Indiana). I would say if the car is a garage queen, go for enclosed; if the car is a daily driver, save money and ship unenclosed (but be prepared for a serious clean-up at arrival!).
Good luck (I am sure you cannot wait to put our hands on it)
Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

John, if I were you, I would have the trucker deliver the car to your door step (and deal with the Customs paperwork for you). Worth every penny!
As far as enclosed vs unenclosed, I have experienced both: enclosed when it arrived in Canada (moving from Houston to Toronto) but unenclosed when I first bought it (and shipped doen to Houston fvrom Indiana). I would say if the car is a garage queen, go for enclosed; if the car is a daily driver, save money and ship unenclosed (but be prepared for a serious clean-up at arrival!).
Good luck (I am sure you cannot wait to put our hands on it)
Old 11-15-2006, 02:08 PM
ANDREW_D.
Advanced

I've shipped 2 pcars from the US to Canada. In addition ive shipped a bimmer,Tourag,Land cruiser. Ive used Mackie with good results, they ship closed, door to door. They look after the border hassles. Only problem is a long wait time till they get around to picking up the car.(one left Pensacola 2 hours before the hurricane hit)The extra cost you will forget when there are no hassles. When they were really late shipping a maserati for me years age, they ended up shipping for free. PM me if I can be of help. Andy.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Andy, you're right on the mark when you say that the extra cost is worth less hassle. I used a cheap company for my boxster (XPT Forwarding aka Freightmar International, about $1200 door to door, sort of, from NC) and the service was miserable. 6 weeks to pick the car up, and when the guy got here the battery was dead so it couldn't be driven off the truck - he tried to leave it in the middle of the street! Horrible communication from the company (based in Mississauga) and then tried to blame me for the delays. Never again. Next time I'll fork over the $2K and do it properly with TFX or someone similar.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

Hey Rennlisters,

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Re: Sales Tax: Hi Christian -- Sorry, I meant CA state sales tax (7.25%). If I pick it up, and get a CA temporary permit, I have to pay the tax, whereas if I ship it out, I won't pay the state sales tax. I don't like paying the Duty/GST/PST, but hey, those are the rules. But having to pay stupid CA sales tax just makes me angry.

I'm going to get quotes from Mackie and TFX. This is what I've found so far:

Hansen's: open carrier, from CA straight to Vancouver, $1550 Cdn. Woohoo!
FedEx (Passport): Enclosed, CA to Blaine, WA, $1850 Cdn.

I realize I'll have to spend a couple of hundred bucks for a good detailing job after the open carrier has delivered the car, so price-wise, it's not a big difference -- except Hansen's will bring the car into Canada for me.

I've done a ton of reading on the net, called US/CDA customs, read Christian's awesome post @ Pelican, and it doesn't seem like an arduous process. But, if someone will do it for me for minimal cost, then why not, right?

Andy: I'm not sure if it's a garage queen, but my cousin checked it out and it's in MINT condition. Sigh. In Vancouver, it will be my daily driver. Knowing this, would you do open or enclosed?

Thanks again fellas!

JW
Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend Hansen's. They worked fine for me. Door to door & they suggested the broker etc. The broker sets up your GST account (necessary) & you just pay the taxes, duties to him. Easy process.

Ian
Old 11-15-2006, 08:23 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

+1 for Hansen's. Used them to ship mine from BC. Fast service and hey use enclosed rail cars. I paid about $1000.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Well, my 2 cents. Being unenclosed would of course be no different really than driving the car that distance (without the wear and tear on the suspension and engine). So, how bad can it be? Then again, if it might go through any dust storms or blizzards, I'd definitely go with enclosed. Note that car companies these days have their cars covered in some sort of stick on paper/plastic stuff. I wonder if you can get any of that applied. But, then, it would probably cost more than the difference in shipping.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:34 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

By shipping enclosed you can inspect the car when it arrives and be assured of no damage. if it arrives covered in dirt it is very difficult to determine if any damage from shipping occurs. I had my 993tt shipped from DC area to Toronto by TFX international, they shipped door to door and use lift gates not ramps, very short delivery time (less than a week), and took care of the customs. the driver said that customs didn't even give my car more than a glance. I recommend them but not sure if they ship to your area.
Danny
Old 11-17-2006, 01:08 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TFX International (closed transport and customs),
if you dont mind spending a little more
and if they cover your region.

Quick Reply: Question re: Shipping a Boxster