Notices

Do I pay any Canadian taxes if...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Do I pay any Canadian taxes if...

I move to Canada and sell a US car there?
Old 08-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Nope ... buyer always pays the 8% Provincial Sales Tax.

If they buy from a dealer they would pay 8% PST and 6% GST. They save 6% buying private!!!

If you sell more than (IIRC) 6 cars a year or more, you need a dealers license ...

EDIT: I forgot ... you need to polution test it, Safety check it and provide a Provincial Gov. for a UVIP ---> Link ... so you do pay a "tax" so to say ....
Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 05:20 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Sean, the other good thing of "moving" to Canada with your US car is that you do not have to pay import Duty and you do not have to go through the RIV crap. You do not even need to convert your car to Canadian standards (running day lights, baby seat anchors,...). Ask me how I know... That's money saved on the car (compared to someone trying to buy import a car from the US) and therefore you get an even better return on investment the day you are selling it in Canada!
By the way, when are you moving up? Did you find a house? Hope you can join us at one of our weekly Saturday morning get together before winter is here...
Old 08-16-2006, 05:27 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AM993
You do not even need to convert your car to Canadian standards (running day lights, baby seat anchors,...). ..
Is this true?? I thought that all cars must meet certain "requirements"
in order to be driven in Canada, regardless of whether you are
importing the car or importing YOURSELF AND the car.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:40 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Technically, you are right Barrington. But nobody asked me to convert the car to Canadian standards when I moved up here last year, nor did the cop made a comment about my non-daylight running lights yesterday when he stopped me for speeding (bummer!)...
Old 08-16-2006, 07:30 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

hmmm... I wonder how the local dealers will treat a US car and owner that moved here.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:07 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC you must meet the existing legal requirements when you move here vis-a-vi certifying your car. Just because you got away with it doesn't mean the next guy will....be careful.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:04 AM
rebe1
Racer

Damn, I just got pulled over 2 hours ago too! Argh, these cars attract cops too easily (or is it my right foot?). Guess I had to pop her cherry sometime or another...

Originally Posted by AM993
Technically, you are right Barrington. But nobody asked me to convert the car to Canadian standards when I moved up here last year, nor did the cop made a comment about my non-daylight running lights yesterday when he stopped me for speeding (bummer!)...
Old 08-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, I'm not so sure you're exempt from RIV stuff if you move - best to check their site - riv.ca. But if you're moving to Canada, I'm pretty sure you don't have to pay any taxes to get your car into Canada (duty or GST).
Old 08-17-2006, 10:11 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Well, I was RIV exempted when I moved to Canada a year ago. I just had to get the E-test and Certification on my 2 cars and go to the ministry of transportation with my Customs paperwork and US titles. After paying the PST, I received the Canadian titles and plates. It was much easier than I thought (after doing some reading the RIV, I was more confused than anything else, even got the Letters of Compliance for both cars which eventually I did not need...).
Old 08-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

You're kidding!? They made you pay PST when you MOVED here??? That's f$&king ridiculous! It's not like you purchased something here, there was no "retail sale" (PST is technically called the Retail Sale tax). I mean, you paid sales taxes on it when you bought the car, right? Did you have to pay PST on the furniture you brought with you? What about your clothes? CDs? Unbelievable. Tax forms should come with a free jar of vaseline and a shoe horn.

I've said it before, Canada is a great country DESPITE our gov't...
Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Yeah, thieves! But they "screwed-up" and based the calculation on the USD values I had on the paperwork, which was eventually less due to exchange rate (at the time) and market value of used cars in Canada versus USA. Let's say that I had also largely undervalued the cars on the paperwork... No questions asked by the Ministry of Transportation (whereas usually on a used car the Ministry will use the wholesale value of the car for calculation, even if you had a good deal when you bought the car... ask me how I know).
Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

AM993.....

You had to pay PST when you registered your own personal car in Ontario after moving there ?

That's absurd.....I'd get a lawyer to check into this for you.....I don't believe that it is legal. Seriously.....unless maybe you had just purchased the vehicle within a certain pre-determined time frame prior to relocating.....such as 90 or 180 days. They may have a clause like that as BC does....but still.....
Old 08-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the Ontario MOT webpage ---> Link Here

To Do" Checklist
Licensing Vehicles Registered Out-of-Province
Completed Application for Registration. A Supplementary Application is also required if the vehicle is registered to two persons or if the plate and vehicle owners are different. Blank applications are available at Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Offices (cannot be downloaded from the Internet).

The original copy of the vehicle registration permit in your name. If the permit is not in your name, a signed Bill of Sale describing the vehicle fully from the seller to you is also required. If you have a Certificate of Title in your name and wish to keep it, you must provide a legible photocopy of the title with the original. The licence office will view the original title, keep the photocopy and return the original to you at the same time. The ministry does not mail back titles to applicants. Make sure you collect your title before you leave the licence office.

A Safety Standards Certificate (SSC) if the vehicle is registered "fit". This Certificate is not required for new, unregistered vehicles or trailers or motor assisted bicycles (mopeds) or vehicles registered "unfit".

A Drive Clean Vehicle Emissions Pass Report may be required if the vehicle is being registered as 'fit" in the Drive Clean program area. Current and future model year vehicles are exempt. For more information on the Drive Clean Program, call the Drive Clean Call Centre at 1-888-758-2999 or visit the Drive Clean Website.

Ontario insurance company's name and policy number if the vehicle is being plated in Ontario.

Odometer information for passenger vehicles, light commercial vehicles (3000 kg or less and for personal and business use only) and buses (non prorate). Heavy commercial vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, off-road vehicles, snowmobiles and mopeds are exempt from the odometer information requirement.

Provincial Retail Sales Tax (RST) of eight percent on the declared value of the vehicle. If you are becoming an Ontario resident, instead of paying the sales tax, an exemption declaration may be completed at the time of vehicle registration. For plated motor vehicles that are 20 years or older, the RST is payable on the greater of either one of the following:

the purchase price
the replacement value for insurance purposes
the appraised value of the vehicle.
For other RST exemptions, please contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Call Centre at 416-235-2999 or toll free at 1-800-387-3445 (Canada wide).

The Ministry of Transportation collects retail sales tax (RST) on behalf of the Retail Sales Tax Branch of the Ministry of Finance. For further information on RST, please contact them.

Fees: $20.00 for licence plates and a vehicle permit. The owner will also be required to buy plate validation from the date of vehicle registration to the assigned validation expiry. Fees will be calculated according to the class of vehicle and declaration(s).

Effective January 1, 2005, all personal cheques must be certified unless payment is sent by mail.

Proof of identity for applicant who has never registered a plate or vehicle with this ministry.

Outside Canada - Additional Requirement
Customs Clearance Form (Vehicle Import Form 1)

For further information, or information about how to license new unregistered vehicles, please complete our online feedback form, or contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Call Centre at 416-235-2999 or toll free at 1-800-387-3445.

If you are importing a vehicle from the United States or another country:
Call the Registrar of Imported Vehicles at 1-888-848-8240 or email at info@riv.ca to determine admissibility, fees required, and get information on how to proceed.

For information on which vehicles may be imported, you can also contact:

Transport Canada - Vehicle Importation
Tower C, Place de Ville
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N5
Telephone: 1-800-333-0371 or (613) 998-8616
Fax: (613) 998-4831

When you bring a vehicle into Canada you will, in most cases have to pay duty and taxes. For information on federal taxes, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency. Please note that the imported vehicles must meet all federal government requirements prior to registration. You may also be required to pay provincial Retail Sales Tax when the vehicle is registered in Ontario.

Quick Reply: Do I pay any Canadian taxes if...