GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chimcu
True.. again another benefit of being well proportion
The other benefit being that you're a racecar driver.... right?

Back on topic... I think changing up the pace could be a lot of fun... explore some different spots, maybe even get out of downtown once in awhile. Not necessarily re-inventing, but adding a new dynamic to the get-together. Would be fun to do a group drive with everyone to a check out a new coffee place or lunch spot. I'm sure amongst us all there are a lot of great ideas for cool places to grab a bite that we could cruise to.

The GTG certainly has an element of tradition that I'm sure nobody wants to, or even intends to break. I think the ideas expressed previous are a way of keeping things exciting. There's no doubt that the core of the Saturday GTG always has been and always will be about a great group of people getting together to share our passion for Porsche's.

Last edited by porsche0nut; 07-26-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bunch of the Saturday regulars were discussing some possible weekend drives. We thought that it would be fun to mix it up a bit, and find some different destinations to have our morning coffee or breakfast once or twice a month.

The destination: Anywhere! Cool little coffee shop in Stouffville? Scenic drive through Dundas Valley? Food truck in Jordan with a view of the vineyard? Wherever!! Have an idea? Throw it out there. Let’s get the creative juices flowing on some interesting spots and drives.

The journey: A leisurely drive with some easy to follow directions. Some bendy roads are a must

We could pre-meet at Humber for 9:30am. Those who want to hang out locally can zip over to the usual spot @ Chapter’s for their Starbucks and book readin’ needs. Those who feel like going for a leisurely drive through Southern Ontario can do just that.

Proposal #1 – Saturday, August 10th, 2013:
Iceman, you have been trucking out to Etobicoke for quite some time. Choose a spot in your area to grab a coffee, a greasy breakfast, ….whatever! We could help plan the route, provide maps, etc.

Thoughts?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

You guys are trying to reinvent the wheel again.
-We've been doing fun runs as part of our group for many years, sometimes they start at our usual meeting place with no formality when a bunch of guys decide to "go for a drive" to a lunch spot, scenic route, someones house, open track day at TMP or (now defunct) Dunnville, etc...
-Our more formally organized fun runs (Jim chime in at anytime here) are not scheduled on the same day and at the same time as our GTGs and have traditionally been held on Sundays so that they don't take away from our informal GTG.
-I'm not sure what the objective is to have a pre-GTG at 9:30 on Saturdays to then decide what or where you want to go next; if you want to organize a fun run, then just do it!
-If you want Clive to set-up a GTG in Cambridge, then do it!
Why is it necessary to try to change a formula that's been drawing crowds consistently for 7+ years?

The whole idea behind our GTG was to get away from the formality that is involved with all the PCA events. All of these proposals and counter proposals are starting to feel a bit like a PCA meeting!

We are a bunch of guys getting together in a parking lot...that's it. You can stay as long or as little as you want with no obligation to take a drive out for half a day if you don't have the time or inclination to do so (personally with my work/travel schedule this year, it's hard enough to get out to our regular spot as it is!).

Let's keep it simple: The GTG is an informal meeting. If you want to organize something more elaborate, then feel free to stage it from there or completely separately, but please don't impede on it.

PS: Can't be there tomorrow...traveling again!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I was there today, though late...great turnout
Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 PM
aav28
Track Day

I have a great time as a CTG newbie. Didn't get a chance to meet everybody there, but I'm sure I will eventually.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

i got out today .. first time in a while as i have a lot going on right now .. brought the ambulance but was certainly nice to meet up and see ebverybody once Again ..

The meeting of the three Mikes was funny as I brought Micheal out ..

"on the way home he said doesnt Mike remind you of the Mike in breaking bad " ? I said of course which Mike ?

he responded " bald Mike " and of course i responded " that doesnt narrow it down at all .. " sign of the times
Old 07-28-2013, 12:57 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Likewise, as a GTG newbie, it was great meeting many of you guys for the first time.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:05 PM
terene
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Good morning Gentlemen , I agree with Phil that we should not water down what has turned out to be "very successful " and enjoyable Sat morn get together, However I believe the real issue is the LOCATION . I believe the current place is both too congested and and unsightly .I approached the mgr of the Wild Goose/Duck at Renforth and Eglinton and he says he could be open around 10: 30 for coffee , restrooms etc. Tim's is just down the street as well . Great Parking !!, Attractive Surroundings, Good Restaurant. Close to major arteries ,cute waitress's why dont we give it a try?? What do you think Phil? T.O
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

How about we all meet at our own locations and webcam each other
Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by terene
Good morning Gentlemen , I agree with Phil that we should not water down what has turned out to be "very successful " and enjoyable Sat morn get together, However I believe the real issue is the LOCATION . I believe the current place is both too congested and and unsightly .I approached the mgr of the Wild Goose/Duck at Renforth and Eglinton and he says he could be open around 10: 30 for coffee , restrooms etc. Tim's is just down the street as well . Great Parking !!, Attractive Surroundings, Good Restaurant. Close to major arteries ,cute waitress's why dont we give it a try?? What do you think Phil? T.O
Hey Terry,
It will be one of the options when I put it to a poll. I think the best way to "give it a try" is to suggest to people to head up there for lunch after a GTG. Try to plan it in advance and post it on this forum so more people (than us, the usual suspects) go see it.

I really don't want to start moving the GTG around arbitrarily while we search for a possible new home; quite a few attendees don't participate on this forum and just pop by. If we just start moving it around, the numbers will drop and then as chimcu suggested, we might as well all stay home an skype with each other.

If and when we move, it will be announced well in advance so that everyone can plan and adapt.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Phil: this seems very sensible to me I think of the GTG as a place rather than an event, rather like dropping into the local for a beer, where you might want to spend half an hour or two hours as your schedule or desire dictates. I fully respect that others want to do drives, fair enough, but for me, I generally do not know in advance when I will come or go, or even if I will go at all.

Let's at least have an agreement from the core regulars as to where they want to congregate and I am happy to go anywhere. If we have to make different arrangements every weekend as to where it will be I doubt if I will attend. However, we are of course all free to make our own calls.

I am good with anywhere as long as you post it up as the official GTG location and we all know about it. Strongly prefer walking distance to coffee. THe cup holders in my car are springy little trampolines designed to launch scalding coffee into the air when my cart-suspended RS hits a bump.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM
terene
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Gentlemen I concur. I for one would hate to see the location change all the time. Lets check out the Wild Duck / Goose on Sat . Most are already familiar with it as many of us go for lunch after the GTG
I would hate to see the group split up , which appears the way it is heading. Lets try the new place for a while , we can always move on if it is not acceptable! We are back to Artisano's in 90 days ! Hope to see you all Sat .
T.O
Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
THe cup holders in my car are springy little trampolines designed to launch scalding coffee into the air when my cart-suspended RS hits a bump.
That nearly caused my drink to come shooting out of my nose.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ronan
Phil: this seems very sensible to me I think of the GTG as a place rather than an event, rather like dropping into the local for a beer, where you might want to spend half an hour or two hours as your schedule or desire dictates. I fully respect that others want to do drives, fair enough, but for me, I generally do not know in advance when I will come or go, or even if I will go at all.

Let's at least have an agreement from the core regulars as to where they want to congregate and I am happy to go anywhere. If we have to make different arrangements every weekend as to where it will be I doubt if I will attend. However, we are of course all free to make our own calls.

I am good with anywhere as long as you post it up as the official GTG location and we all know about it. Strongly prefer walking distance to coffee. THe cup holders in my car are springy little trampolines designed to launch scalding coffee into the air when my cart-suspended RS hits a bump.
+1. I'm never really sure when I can make it especially because I have a 45 min drive but if I know where the location is I can pop in when ever I am available and know other will be there too.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

I made similar comments to Phil as Ronan did. I dont come all that way to sit in my car and drive more. I come to see the people. Many of our guests now are not on rennlist as this event is bigger than rennlist. If we move these people will be lost.
I don't come every week so I don't really feel I have too much of a say, but I do know it is always harder to hit a moving target.
End of the day if people want to start there own meet or own activity they can always do that.

Quick Reply: GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday