GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 11:20 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Revn29k00
Why I'm late.
Is there a story to go with this? What happened?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really. 401 was stop and go traffic so I decided to head through Milton. Cruisin' along doing 78 in a 50. I just wasn't paying attention.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Oh i just saw this. Some has been adding to the tax coffers i see.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:30 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Will be bringing a fairly 'unique' vehicle to the meet this saturday. Some of you old timers might remember these from your teen years

(no, it's not the RX-7 either)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:45 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale Gribble
Will be bringing a fairly 'unique' vehicle to the meet this saturday. Some of you old timers might remember these from your teen years

(no, it's not the RX-7 either)
Is it a Fiero?

lol... i'm going to be at ALMS this weekend, but looking forward to seeing pics!
Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Motorized skateboard/scooter? Pogo Stick?
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Is the July 20 GTG at the usual location (across from Sherway) or will it be held at Humber College, Lakeshore Campus?
Old 07-19-2013, 02:04 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Usual location. Waiting for feedback from all the usual attendees before making any decision on an official move. Many people are away on holidays right now and it wouldn't be fair to just change location. I'll start a poll soon to see how people feel about it.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Usual location. Waiting for feedback from all the usual attendees before making any decision on an official move. Many people are away on holidays right now and it wouldn't be fair to just change location. I'll start a poll soon to see how people feel about it.
Whisky-A-Go-Go has a pretty big parking lot. Given the premium customer base of the Porsche owner, we could probably convince their A-squad to pull a morning shift
Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts
Default 2nd locale

At the secondary locale. Really nice & no traffic. Great for taking pics
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Personally am happy with existing location. If we end up with two smaller meets we will not have the range of cars at either.No big deal for me to make it from downtown. However if everyone wants to move, fine by me. Need a coffee shop at the location and good parking
Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I am easy... i care less where as long the companion is good that is all that matters... so where ever we end up.. lets all be happy with it ..
Old 07-21-2013, 09:17 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

The current location was chosen over 7 years ago because it offered the following:
-Close access to major highways.
-free parking (not a metered lot)
-retail (magazines & food/beverage). Important when bringing kids/spouses.
-indoor plumbing!
-shelter options (weather doesn't always cooperate and at least we can sit in the Starbucks)

When you weigh all those considerations, you start to see why all successful Cars n' Coffee's are held in mall parking lots and not in municipal lots.

I think that having 2 GTGs on the same day, at the same time, very close to each other is just going to fracture the group and the attendance of both will dwindle.

Every year a handful of people suggest moving the location to someplace prettier. If you can find a suitable location that meets all the above criteria and that is close to where we currently meet, then please suggest it.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto for all the reasons listed above (other than metered parking since it appears there is a cover on the meter machine so perhaps it's free on the weekends), plus it can be pretty warm in the summer, so I also prefer the shaded back wall of Chapters right by where we park.

I did swing by yesterday to the Lakeshore location for a look around after the Chapters GTG, personally I still prefer the existing Chapters location for the convenience factors, plus I nearly got rear-ended twice first by a car then by an SUV from the time I got off the QEW at Kipling to the time I got to the Lakeshore location, maybe it's just bad timing for me to encounter quite a few impatient drivers around that time frame.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:14 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
I did swing by yesterday to the Lakeshore location for a look around after the Chapters GTG, personally I still prefer the existing Chapters location for the convenience factors, plus I nearly got rear-ended twice first by a car then by an SUV from the time I got off the QEW at Kipling to the time I got to the Lakeshore location, maybe it's just bad timing for me to encounter quite a few impatient drivers around that time frame.
Ken, you're joking right?!

I'm in the other camp and am game for a change. In the last 2 years the group has grown exponentially and the current lot, that was chosen 7 years ago, can't support the most important item that's not on the above list - SPACE. It's also;

-UGLY (terrible backdrop to photograph our beautiful cars)
-Dangerous (nails, concrete chunks, seniors parking Grand Marquis, distracted soccer-moms, 2hr exposure to high-voltage Hydro towers once a week, etc)
-Too small to comfortably facilitate the current "regulars" group (25+ cars and growing!)

The Humber location is:

-spacious
-picturesque
-safe
-close to major highways
-tons of free parking (Saturday and Sundays the Green P lot is free)
-close to retail (Sherway Mall/North Queen/Queensway strip is 5 minutes away)
-clean, indoor washroom facility (inside the building with the smoke stack)

The only knock against it is that there is no bigbox store to use as shelter from the rain and there isn't much shade. If that's a deal-breaker then I'm very much open to looking for other alternate locations! Agreed that hosting two meets at the same time is counter productive. I think some serious, communal thought should be put into it, because Chapters is less than ideal for many! I know I'm not alone on this!

Quick Reply: GTG in the GTA 10am Saturday