Notices

PORSCHE service in LONDON, ONTARIO ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - if somebody admits to it, we can all taunt them.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:15 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard nothing but praise for Fred who I think is the main tech at Porsche of London. Although their experience with Porsche is limited and he is mainly a VW guy, he has been in the business for a long time and I wouldn't hesitate to take my car there. Plus, you have an authorized dealership who will stand by their work. My limited experience with Porsche of London thus far has been nothing but positive...probably the best dealership experience I've ever had.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, that's surprising, but great to hear. If he's got experience with air-cooled VWs, then he should be familiar with older Porsches, including the water-cooled ones.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
wucash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PbPedis
I've heard nothing but praise for Fred who I think is the main tech at Porsche of London. Although their experience with Porsche is limited and he is mainly a VW guy, he has been in the business for a long time and I wouldn't hesitate to take my car there. Plus, you have an authorized dealership who will stand by their work. My limited experience with Porsche of London thus far has been nothing but positive...probably the best dealership experience I've ever had.
As far as I know from reading this forums dealerships won't install LN IMS.

I went to Fanshawe motors they didn't know what IMS was but said they can fix anything on BMW or Volvo... so no go..

Euro Tech on york by Police station replied back that they can do it and to call them or come by.

I will email RPP for quote.

I am debating on just going to my mechanic and doing clutch replace and the pelican IMS kit. Way cheaper any almost any mechanic can do this.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Christien
Race Car

Last time I had RSP/RPP deal with an RMS/IMS issue it came back leaking and he refused to fix it again.

You might also try Klein Auto on York St. One of my oldest friends works there, and they've done work on several cars I've been involved with (not all mine) including the IMS on my 86 911 (completely different job than on a boxster/996). Their specialty is older British cars (Jags, Triumphs, MGs) but they know Porsches as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Last time I had RSP/RPP deal with an RMS/IMS issue it came back leaking and he refused to fix it again.
Well, that's broadly consistent with my experience.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:27 PM
wucash
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill N
Well, that's broadly consistent with my experience.
These guys sound awful
Old 10-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Christien
Race Car

It seems hit and miss. To be fair, Renato does have a number of satisfied customers, and really, you can't stay in business for more than a few months of you screw over the majority of your customers. The problems seem to arise when something doesn't go right - he doesn't seem to want to own up to mistakes, and mistakes (particularly major ones) seem to happen with him more than other shops.

When my dad had his 996tt, he took it in for some routine maintenance and also to have [can't remember exactly what performance upgrade] done - nothing really crazy, but something more than just a tire rotation. Renato installed a short shifter and billed him $900 - nothing discussed previously. And even then, a retaining clip or something was missing - the shifter handle would easily slide up and down the shaft when you shifted gears.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:18 PM
wucash
Racer

Default ims

So I guess no-one had their IMS replaced by a local shop in London???

I talked to Peter Klein. He has not done one in many years but seemed very enthusiastic and involved when we talked about my options. I think we are debating who will take the cost of the removal tool.

Will visit him on Monday. Unless someone else can recommend a shop that has done the LN IMS upgrade before.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:08 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

See the "German Autotech in Waterloo thread". It appears they did an LN IMS update for BoxsterSteve.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 AM
JoeFerg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I just came across this now.

I'm in Kitchener and have personally done 25 LN Engineering IMS upgrade installs. We keep several single row and dual row bearing kits in stock and of course RMS too. We have the Porsche installation tool for the RMS and have never had an issue with leaks.
Shoot me a message if you have an IMS bearing question!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Wow now there is some good info ... As long as your name isnt uli
Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM
JoeFerg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, i'm not Uli......but I do work for him.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:44 PM
bradvb
5th Gear

Porsche of London does do the LN IMS upgrade and retrofit kits! We have done several in the past and will continue to do them in the future!
The following users liked this post:
duff76 (04-20-2022)
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by bradvb
Porsche of London does do the LN IMS upgrade and retrofit kits! We have done several in the past and will continue to do them in the future!
That is good info .. was it true that at one time the dealership would not do this upgrade ?

Quick Reply: PORSCHE service in LONDON, ONTARIO ???