Notices

OT - LOOKING FOR.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 04:08 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - LOOKING FOR.......

I need a 996 cabrio for a long time client....either C2/C4 and 6 speed only......2000-2001 only.......problem is it's got to have the optional and expensive FULL LEATHER interior........with a "color matching" cabrio top.......open to any color combos.......must be full books and records example in mint condition. Top dollar paid for a perfect car........must haved called every one I know in this business.....no real luck or way too much money.

Nice finder's fee paid on succesful leads..........
Old 10-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i'll have my guys keep an eye out at the wholesaler auctions. i picked up a well optioned turbo cab for a relative there at a reasonable price. when do you need the car by?
Old 10-13-2005, 05:03 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Why don't you pick one up in the US? There's probably one in the classified section here on Rennlist, or on the PCA webmart or even Ebay. A lot cheaper than what you'd pay here.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:36 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

No way.....I don't do or recommend that anyone buy US cars.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:29 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by YYC930
No way.....I don't do or recommend that anyone buy US cars.
And why would that be? To keep the artificially high prices here from dropping?? I'll take a $5k hit on selling one here if I save $20k+ on initial purchase. Do the math.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:10 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Fryd.....

Prices here are not artificially high.......nor are prices in the US artificially low......it's alway subject to change.....our dollar went up 10% in seven months this year for example which is why everyone thinks they are rocket scientists all of a sudden.

There are two factors which are perceived to affect values....supply and demand and forex rates. Both are subject to change at the whim of the markets.....and one or the other always corrects itself. This factor is what 99% of the people with stars in their eyes forget.....among other things.

If there is a numerical dollar discrepancy "today" what you "think" you'll save up front by importing a car is more than likely ERASED at resale time when 75% of the prospective buyer's will walk away from your US car "just because" and buy a Canadian one for sale in the same marketplace regardless of the pricing.......there's a couple of dealer's in YYZ that tried to do it with P-cars this year and a couple in YVR as well......both of them have run their cars at the block for months now and they still have their inventory for sale and are losing $$ big time.....why I wonder ??? Because of the "perception" in the marketplace regarding US cars. Think I am wrong....try selling your Canadian car to a US dealer.....it's a two way street.

In order to sell your US car you have to discount it heavily to move it.....which means you more than likely will have saved nothing up front after all. Most dealers involved in this practice and some private buyer's WILL NOT tell you this or otherwise believe it to be true, but will blather on endlessly about the perceived savings until you try to sell your car back to that dealer 1-2 years later (if they are still around) or you put it on the private market and it goes unsold.....and that's when you end up with a funny walk.

Been at this game for 18 years now......thru 2-3 currency swings in both directions.......sold over 1,000+ P-cars and MB's.......trust me. I could fill my boots with US cars if I wanted to.....but there's no point whatsoever.

Domestic stuff is another story however as the dollar ratios we are talking about are smaller and the clients a little less educated, the cars the same and the client's not as fussy about a car's "pedigree"....but the principal still applies.

Regardless of whatever you want the math to say it doesn't really matter because "perception" in the marketplace is the reality I deal with as a businessman ever day......and for the most part the perception (and rightfully so IMHO) is that US cars (for several reasons) are worth far less at resale time when the market is equalized. Adding to that is the obvious fact that dealers like me and most others will have nothing to do with US cars.....because we want nothing to do with clients who won't support their local markets and develop business relationships with a company over the long term......and secondly we do not want dead inventory on our lots. I don't have a problem saying that because that's just business 101 if you're a dealer who's in it and committed for the long term towards building a large and profitable client base.

The only advantage to US cars is the volume of sales which means much better selection and potentially your ability to resell it in the US if you live in a locale geographically that is in your favor since freight costs can get expensive $2-3K for anything not directly across the border.

Last edited by YYC930; 10-15-2005 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:39 AM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

YYC, while I appreciate your experience in the field, it is time to review your thoughts on importing from the US. With our current exchange rate there should be no reason not to buy in the US. At the current rate you can find a 997 with few options for 65k in the US after conversion and duty you end up with 82k CDN + whatever shipping if you decide not to drive it back. Similar vehicle in Canada will run high 90's! So even if one is to drive the car for a few years and deduct a fair amount of $, you will easily sell this car to someone else. Who doesn't want to save nearly 20k+tax difference on buying a vehicle??? Yes you can bully people into believing that a US Porsche is of less value than a Canadian one, but we both know that's not the case. Or you can feed us poor businessman like nonsense that you wont offer a client that drives up with a US car the same service as you would someone who bought in Canada You can write up long stories about all the negative aspects of it but we also know that if the exchange is going to hit 0.9 to US dollar, more and more people will buy south of the border, regardless of what you try to feed them. And guess what, if the car has warranty on it and it breaks under coverage, a dealer still has to fix it. Business 101 also says to adapt to your environment and catering to new markets and trends. You can try all you want to stop people of buying us cars, but it is becoming a new market and unless pricing gets adjusted in Canada it will be the way of the future.
As a side note a quick personal story:
A few years ago I was planning to buy a vehicle in the Halifax area. After looking around for a long time I found I couldn't get the deal I was looking for, so I looked outside of the province and bought my car in Ottawa and saving thousands. I was trying to get the local dealership to get my business and showed them what I was quoted and they refused to match. The next day I received a call from their manager who was giving me **** for buying the car outside of province and how 'illegal' it was! I was so stunned about what he was saying I couldn't even come up with a good reply. Needless to say I knew I made the right decision of buying elsewhere. The extra 5k i put in my pocket came in handy.
When next spring comes and I start looking for my 'new' used 997, I will look at the US market first. Any dealer in Canada who can match the pricing will be considered.
I wish you the best selling 1000's of cars more.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:11 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

I'm not trying to bully anyone into anything KrisKringle......my point is merely this.....in it's most simplified form........and it's soooo obvious that it get's missed right off the start by almost everyone when talking about importing US cars. It's because people DON'T WANT to believe dealer's because we're labelled as chronic liars.....

If it really made economic long term sense to do so.......why haven't the people with the money and the experience who know what they are doing "in theory" (existing car dealers) already done so on a large scale.....fill their lots with supposedly cheaper US cars ?

If you can answer that and convince me to run my line of credit to the max you win........at present all I have to show the assembled jury your honor are examples of a few dealers stuck with US inventory and many stupid purchases on the part of private vendors. This week......person here in Calgary gets his 2005 Turbo S cabrio from the US....it lands here at $220K CAD all-in GST included.......etc....so net of tax that's $205K + GST for a US car against an MSRP of $230K + GST for the Canadian car.....once everything is paid....he thinks he saved $25K......LOL !!......he could have bought the Canadian spec Turbo S car here in stock for that and the dealer would have still made $$.

Now ask yourself......which car will sell "first and for more money" once the dollar or marketplace equalizes in 12-24 months ? He'll find he probably didn't save a cent and he will have a harder car to sell at that later date.

Second story of this week.......another US Porsche lands here in the shop.......it's a nice car visually (but they all are)....it has an unstamped record book (no records) and needs....4 tires...a clutch...a 48km major service.....and numerous unspecified engine work....it'll be $6K tough before the engine overhaul gets calculated out (add another $6K+)......so here's a guy who's now upside down in a car.....in financially at way over retail....had he known what he was doing and bought right he might have been OK...but alas...stars in his eyes due to exchange rates and caution was thrown to the wind.

And I am sorry to hear that you got treated unprofessionally by your local dealer.....there's no excuse for that.

And NO the dealer network is not legally obligated to honor the warranty....it all depends on the terms and conditions of same. Warranties are granted by and only apply to cars sold in and used in their local markets (and to use Porsche as an example since this is a Porsche board) Porsche Cars Canada Ltd....or PCNA.....or Porsche AG....or Porsche GB.....etc.....and now as of the last few years it states this VERY clearly in the books you receive when you get your new car from most ANY manufacturer.

Grey market Ferrari's have no FNA warranty coverage for example......Daimler Chrysler, GM and Ford cancelled warranties on Canadian vehicles imported to the US when our dollar was at 60 cents.

You can believe what and whom you want......that's all I am saying.......but don't doubt my motives are financial as there's plenty of nice Canadian cars for me to acquire for sale.....so......US cars are a non-issue for me from a competitive standpoint.......I'm just bringing up the point because I see people getting screwed all the time exchange rates change dramatically in the short term........caveat emptor.

Best....!!

Last edited by YYC930; 10-22-2005 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: OT - LOOKING FOR.......